Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who really does 70 on learners?

Bike
    99 Suzie,05 R6.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyz View Post
    that is the idea of the learner licence. to learn. And despite apparently popular opinion you dont learn on a main road with 400 cars around you. Especially on christmas eve. It is a licence to learn in a quiet place on your own or with an instructor. Reinforces my idea that there shouldnt be a time limit on the learner licence. You should be able to get your restricted when you are capable of getting it. some riders will spend 6 months riding round and be more than capable after 1. Others will spend 6 months sitting on their arse and then have the same eligiblity for the restricted licence.

Yeah good idea,I reckon I am ready for my restricted now,but must wait another 3 months....

Bike
    99 Suzie,05 R6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    obvisiouly you have not ventured to Nelson. LOL, no motorways as such. Not like the North Island. Things tend to become a little relaxed this side of the water.

Oh,nah never been down that way.

Bike
    Black Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by The Everlasting View Post
    Oh,nah never been down that way.
    Maybe you should try it one day...you'd like it!

Bike
    CBR 150.RGV250 Bucket
    Blog Entries
    Interestin that those who write the road rules say...learner= max 70k, but you mut also travel at a speed that dosen't hold up traffic??(not that the second part is enforced). Who comes up with this stuff??
    Life is a lesson-if I bother to listen

Bike
    99 Suzie,05 R6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    Maybe you should try it one day...you'd like it!

Yeah,give it another 6 months or so,it's a long ride from Auckland!

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by saxet View Post
    Interestin that those who write the road rules say...learner= max 70k, but you mut also travel at a speed that dosen't hold up traffic??(not that the second part is enforced). Who comes up with this stuff??
    Pretty obvious really. While learning you need to stick to roads where you can ride at a safe pace for your skill level.

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GSX 250

never...

I've been riding on learners for just over a year. I installed my L-plate on a swivel so I could hide it when I carry passengers or ride at night. After just a few weeks I decided I was safer without it, dickheads keep trying to run me off the road or rear end me, they seem to see an L-plate as a target.
    I never stick to 70 and i've never been pinged for that nor not displaying plate.

Bike
    99 Suzie,05 R6.
    Quote Originally Posted by imne1 View Post
    I've been riding on learners for just over a year. I installed my L-plate on a swivel so I could hide it when I carry passengers or ride at night. After just a few weeks I decided I was safer without it, dickheads keep trying to run me off the road or rear end me, they seem to see an L-plate as a target.
    I never stick to 70 and i've never been pinged for that nor not displaying plate.

Yeah the swivel plate would be a good idea,but I haven't really had any trouble from cagers.

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    Quote Originally Posted by imne1 View Post
    see, I read this one of two ways......

1. Im too fucking lazy to get a restricted licence but would prefer to look like a real boy by flaunting the rules and not displaying an L plate and breaching the conditions of my licence.

or...

2. I cant actually ride for shit and not confident that I can pass an incredibly easy restricted test but feel my manhood would be threatened if I admit to it and get some decent ride mentoring to acquire the skills to gain the next stage of my licence but would rather pretend and feel like a rebel riding outside of the conditions of my licence.

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800XC
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Celtic Red;1129554871
    Having said that, I guess if you don't go looking for trouble you don't get into any.[/QUOTE]

The speed limit restriction is not there to annoy you, it is there to get you to understand your motorcycle and how to participate in traffic. I persevered with the "L" plate only for a little while and took it off to be able to fully get into it, not to speed particularly but not to get cars up my arse etc. Never got pinged. During my restricted time, I owned and rode a VT750, never got stopped and learned heaps from that. Bottom line is your quote - don't stand out, police will not stop you !! Yes yes yes its against the law and you take a risk but for me it felt better
    Ride Safe . . . . SixftFive

Bike
    CBR 150.RGV250 Bucket
    Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by saxet

Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    Pretty obvious really. While learning you need to stick to roads where you can ride at a safe pace for your skill level.
    Well that may be true for learners, but it is one of the reasons learners don't get much experience is they have to trailer their bike to an area were they can ride it legally. Also, how does this work for trucks and vehicles towing trailers. I notice there has been a campaign on the radio reminding those towing trailers that the speed limit is 80k. I can't remember what the speed limit is for trucks but it is less than 100k. Lets also include cyclists, now they usually can keep left but how can a truck or vehicle towing a trailer?.
    Should they only operate in areas that are under the open road speed limit?
    This is what I'm getting at. Most laws revolve around theories that seem sound but often don't work well in reality.
    Life is a lesson-if I bother to listen

Bike
    2008 Suzuki V Strom DL 1000
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by saxet View Post
    Originally Posted by saxet

Well that may be true for learners, but it is one of the reasons learners don't get much experience is they have to trailer their bike to an area were they can ride it legally. Also, how does this work for trucks and vehicles towing trailers. I notice there has been a campaign on the radio reminding those towing trailers that the speed limit is 80k. I can't remember what the speed limit is for trucks but it is less than 100k. Lets also include cyclists, now they usually can keep left but how can a truck or vehicle towing a trailer?.
    Should they only operate in areas that are under the open road speed limit?
    This is what I'm getting at. Most laws revolve around theories that seem sound but often don't work well in reality.
    The speed for vehicles towing a trailer, and for trucks, is 90 Km/h.

Bike
    Megelli 250r 2011
    I often go over 70, but under the normal speed limit, with my L plate on as I'd rather the lesser speeding fine that the $400 no plate fine. I've also passed plenty of cops doing that and not had a problem which I put down to riding as sensibly as I'm capable of. I've also found that most drivers are pretty decent about the L plate (with the exception of one arsehole who undertook me on a hairpin in a 50 area and then cut me up when he puled back in front of me, was only a single lane road as well!)

Having said that I do have the option of pulling out my UK license which would legaly allow me to do the normal limit ...

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmonkey View Post
    Having said that I do have the option of pulling out my UK license which would legaly allow me to do the normal limit ...
    Have you got an International Drivers Permit to make it recognised in NZ?
    And if so, why are you bothering to do the graduated licence? Why not just transfer the classes straight across?

Bike
    Megelli 250r 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    Have you got an International Drivers Permit to make it recognised in NZ?
    And if so, why are you bothering to do the graduated licence? Why not just transfer the classes straight across?
    It's a UK provisional rather than a full which transfers to a learners license over here. I did transfer it but I also did the BHS as I hadn't ridden a bike before and thought that would be the safest way to go...

With overseas licenses the conditions of the country which supplies the license apply rather than the NZ learners conditions, that means that I can go at the speed limit. I'm not sure about the legality of having 2 licenses and choosing which one to show though, I have a sneaky feeling that might be a bit of a naughty in itself!

Thread Information