Thread: Suzuki SMX 50 Motard Review

Bike
    TZFXR150, R1150GS, DRZ400, Ninja300 prod

Suzuki SMX 50 Motard Review

Sorry this isn't a scooter as such but close enough.

A couple of weeks back I brought Willdats SMX, I was thinking of owning a scooter. Its for coffee runs, the dairy, something cheap to let the steam off. As much as I wanted to I just couldn't bring myself to own a scooter.....then The SMX popped up on here. I was going to Nelson for work so I looked at it as a sign from the motorcycling gods!

I caught up with Will and went for a test ride and was sort of impressed....thought about it for 5 minutes and made my mind up to take it home.

Two weeks down the track I finally got the opportunity to go for a decent ride up and around the port hills here in chch.

Since owning it I have changed the gearbox oil and generally gave it a going over and found I had very little to do, its a 2003 with a mere 2700 odd km on the clock. Its got good quality Michelin tyre with would have been factory fitment in 03 and have gone hard so my confidence in them isn't exactly high.

Its effectively a RG50 engine, 6 speed and will happily cruise at 80-85 with my fat ass on board and have had 100 out of it with a tail wind and some good luck.

Physically is not much smaller than my DRZ but only weighs 90 odd kg.

I'm stoked with my purchase and had a grin from ear to ear blasting around the port hills, I think I did 1,000,000 gear changes keeping it on the pipe which is half the fun and to the two sportbike riders I caught up to on the summit road, if only they knew!

Its going to the Battle of the Buckets at Ruapuna this weekend as a back up bike and WILL get a outing on the track in one of the sprint races for a giggle.

Cheers Willdat your loss is my gain.

Its harder to lose weight than gain horsepower.

Bike
    Honda FT500, Yamaha WR250R
    No worries mate, I'm just pleased its gone to a good home! I had an absolute blast on it during the time I had it pleased to hear it's going to get some track time. It's hanging out for it!

Bike
    Trans NZ Broliner
    I had one. Found it annoyed everyone with the motocross sound. Good handling and braking though. I think Suzuki Spain makes them
    Churches are monuments to self importance

Bike
    2015 Triumph Bonneville
    Quote Originally Posted by scissorhands View Post
    I had one. Found it annoyed everyone with the motocross sound. Good handling and braking though. I think Suzuki Spain makes them

I quite like the motocross sound....although my scooter sounds more like a chainsaw
    "No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does."

Bike
    Vespa GT200, LML Vespa 130, Honda NXR125
    Quote Originally Posted by scissorhands View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatcap View Post
    I quite like the motocross sound....although my scooter sounds more like a chainsaw
    Remind me what you scoot sounds like again

Better than mine I hope...
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    goes like a whore on P

Bike
    smx 50cc

wasnt this one????

Long and old thread but came upon this while wondering if the guy i ended up selling one of these to sold it on further....

Amazing bike (for what it is)....

your one wasn't this one by chance? (i brought around 2013, sold in 2015ish)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151122_163207.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	234.5 KB 
ID:	350712

Thread Information