Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The most amazing chain lube ever

Bike
    Thumpapotamus
    Yeh its good stuff, I've been using it last few months, maybe 4000k.

By the feel, smell and taste I would guess its just a mixture of 2 or more hydrocarbons where one is a gas at room temp, the other a Solid and mixed together under pressure a liquid solution.
    When not under more than atmospheric pressure the smaller chained one evaporates leaving the waxy film.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
    I still remember fumbling around the shed and walking into greasy chains hanging from the rafters.
    That sounds seriously kinky

Bike
    GSX-R600 k8
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    lanolin lubes are good as water resistant lubes,but have a low film strength,so are not good lubricants for chains and gears.
    It's strange how unclear chain maintenance is. Some people say you only need to lubricate the O-rings and that the grease inside around the pins is sufficient... others, like myself, have reckoned that you need to keep lubricant on and underneath the rollers as well, where you have metal to metal contact with the sprockets etc.

I had always used a motorcycle chain oil or wax... but recently have got sick of the amount of chain sponge that builds up around the front sprocket cover and engine casings. Especially after seeing how chain sponge could destroy the water pump seal on my particular bike... http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=19

Have now decided to change tactics completely and try cleaning the chain with kerosene more regularly and only applying a silicone lubricant spray.

I wonder just how important film strength is to a O-ring motorcycle chain?

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    Quote Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
    Ah, yes those were the days. We had a big old tin of chassis grease and a kerosine cooker out in the shed. I still remember fumbling around the shed and walking into greasy chains hanging from the rafters.

These days I have a Loobman fitted (see photo). It's really a poor man's Scott Oiler but it works a treat.
    I'll pass on the info to those I know with chains, at the mo' they're just using aerosol lubes, dunno how good they are. I know technology marches on but I would guess that chassis grease would be a better chain lube than anything in a spray can. I could be wrong though. Still, whatever you use, chains (like anything else) wear out sooner or later and some riders will swear by one product and so one........

Interesting that you can recall "those days" you old fart.

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    Quote Originally Posted by dipshit View Post
    It's strange how unclear chain maintenance is. Some people say you only need to lubricate the O-rings and that the grease inside around the pins is sufficient... others, like myself, have reckoned that you need to keep lubricant on and underneath the rollers as well, where you have metal to metal contact with the sprockets etc.

I had always used a motorcycle chain oil or wax... but recently have got sick of the amount of chain sponge that builds up around the front sprocket cover and engine casings. Especially after seeing how chain sponge could destroy the water pump seal on my particular bike... http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=19

Have now decided to change tactics completely and try cleaning the chain with kerosene more regularly and only applying a silicone lubricant spray.

I wonder just how important film strength is to a O-ring motorcycle chain?
    I'm willing to bet if you talk to the chain maker, the lube maker and the bike maker you'll get three different stories. Do you go through many chains? What sort of k's would you expect from a good chain and would varying lubes make that much difference?

Cheers.

Bike
    2016 GSXS 1000F
    Blog Entries
    This topic has been done to death on this and most other bike forums. A simple Google search 'motorcycle chain lubrication' provides heaps of information and this site comes up high and provides advice that summarised says - lub your chain.

Then ride the bike. Nothing else really matters.
    Here for the ride.

Bike
    GSX-R600 k8
    Quote Originally Posted by peasea View Post
    I'm willing to bet if you talk to the chain maker, the lube maker and the bike maker you'll get three different stories.
    Yep, this so often seems to be the case.

Do you go through many chains? What sort of k's would you expect from a good chain and would varying lubes make that much difference?
    My last bike (SV1000) had 26k kms on it from new with the chain still looking resemble without needing adjusting too often. It was starting to develop a tight spot though.

Will see what happens with the 'keep it clean' and use a dry type of lubricant approach instead.

Bike
    GSX-R600 k8
    Quote Originally Posted by sinned View Post
    This topic has been done to death on this and most other bike forums. A simple Google search 'motorcycle chain lubrication' provides heaps of information and this site
    And lots of contradicting information as well. This product is one of their favourites and used by a lot of other riders as well. Unfortunately it isn't imported into NZ. I have been trying to find a very similar product here.

Bike
    2016 GSXS 1000F
    Blog Entries
    And lots of contradicting information as well. This product is one of their favourites and used by a lot of other riders as well. Unfortunately it isn't imported into NZ. I have been trying to find a very similar product here.
    You are right about contradicting information. However, the contradictions are related to opinion on the form of the lubricant as no one seems to be able to provide any hard facts. Facts are somewhat easier to find relating to chains which are lubricated and those which are not. And those facts support a fairly simple principle - keep the chain lubed and it will last many times longer than one that is run dry. If the chain is kept wet/lubed it doesn't seem to matter if oil from a aerosol with stick on properties or oil from an automatic oiler that sprays all over the place is used.

On a long ride (400 - 700kms) the chain will dry out - well that is my experience anyway. So if you only do day runs of up to 600kms most spray on stuff will do the trick. If you do much longer runs then a Scott or similar oiler is of value as the chain doesn't dry out - which is when it wears.

I lube my chain with a variety of stuff in cans and on a long run wind up the Scott oiler once I hit 400kms. When I get home from these runs I have to clean the oil off. On short runs the bike stays clean and gets a nice spray of sticky stuff from a can before the next run.

The lub product is less important than the act of lubing the chain on a regular basis.
    Here for the ride.

Bike
    GSX-R600 k8
    Quote Originally Posted by sinned View Post
    If the chain is kept wet/lubed it doesn't seem to matter if oil from a aerosol with stick on properties or oil from an automatic oiler that sprays all over the place is used.
    Well then you have the two guys that set out on some Australian outback roads with two identical bikes. Both with new chains and sprockets - only one of them had an automatic oiler. The guy with the oiler finished the trip with absolutely rooted chain and sprockets. The other rider didn't use any oil on the chain at all and his chain and sprockets were fine at the end of the trip. (it was dusty conditions and the rider with the oiler basically ended up with grinding paste)

So maybe just enough of some kind of lubricant to keep the O-rings clean and supple... with the links and rollers basically dry and not attracting road grime... may work also..??

Which takes me back to my original question. Is lubricant film strength on the sprocket teeth and rollers important for an O-ring chain... or is just looking after the O-rings important?

Bike
    2016 GSXS 1000F
    Blog Entries
    Which takes me back to my original question. Is lubricant film strength on the sprocket teeth and rollers important for an O-ring chain... or is just looking after the O-rings important?
    Given the apparent lack of research you will most likely never know the answer to that question. Keep asking the question on KB if you are seeking emotive opinion.
    Here for the ride.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

Chain care

Which takes me back to my original question. Is lubricant film strength on the sprocket teeth and rollers important for an O-ring chain... or is just looking after the O-rings important?[/QUOTE]

Both areas involve friction between touching parts and so wear is always going to happen. On an O ring chain I always felt I was lubricating the chain to slow down wear on the teeth and chain rollers and the sealed O rings would look after themselves.

Chainsaw chains use a chain oil with an additive to stop it flying off the chain. I wonder how it would go on a bike chain. Certainly, the bike chain wouldn't be rounding a sprocket at the speed a saw chain turns the chainbar sprocket. Or would it?

Bike
    1986 RZ350 + many others
    I have been using fish oil lately as it is very sticky and it smells nice.

What do you think about that?
    Two Stroke, the pinnacle of engine design

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

fish oil

Quote Originally Posted by TygerTung View Post
    I have been using fish oil lately as it is very sticky and it smells nice.

What do you think about that?
    Your wife rides pillon as well eh?

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    Chainsaw chains use a chain oil with an additive to stop it flying off the chain. I wonder how it would go on a bike chain. Certainly, the bike chain wouldn't be rounding a sprocket at the speed a saw chain turns the chainbar sprocket. Or would it?
    I use Penrite chainsaw bar oil in my Loobman. Seems to do the trick. Less fling off than a spray can (but that could be because the loobman puts a small amount evenly over a period of several minutes) rather than dumping a heap in one go like a can.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Thread Information