Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The most amazing chain lube ever

Bike
    1986 RZ350 + many others
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    Your wife rides pillon as well eh?
    Nah she doesn't really ride on the back very much.
    Two Stroke, the pinnacle of engine design

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    Quote Originally Posted by dipshit View Post
    It's strange how unclear chain maintenance is. Some people say you only need to lubricate the O-rings and that the grease inside around the pins is sufficient... others, like myself, have reckoned that you need to keep lubricant on and underneath the rollers as well, where you have metal to metal contact with the sprockets etc.
    You are correct.The wear that causes elongation(wrongly referred to as "stretch"),occurs between the pins and bushes.This is taken care of by the factory internal lubrication held in by the O rings.
    The rollers experience some wear on their inner surface when rotating on the outer surface of the bush.And the rollers and sprocket teeth wear due to contact between each other.These last two types of wear need to be lessened by external lubrication.This lubrication also keeps the O rings in good condition.

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    Quote Originally Posted by sinned View Post
    You are right about contradicting information. However, the contradictions are related to opinion on the form of the lubricant as no one seems to be able to provide any hard facts. Facts are somewhat easier to find relating to chains which are lubricated and those which are not. And those facts support a fairly simple principle - keep the chain lubed and it will last many times longer than one that is run dry. If the chain is kept wet/lubed it doesn't seem to matter if oil from a aerosol with stick on properties or oil from an automatic oiler that sprays all over the place is used.
    My 91,300 km and counting on a,autolubed with cheap motor oil,chain confirms what you are saying.(Bandit 1200)

Bike
    2016 GSXS 1000F
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    My 91,300 km and counting on a,autolubed with cheap motor oil,chain confirms what you are saying.(Bandit 1200)
    91k is the highest I have heard of. I have noticed that some bikes with auto oilers have chains which, in my opinion, have insufficient oil on them - they look dry. My guess is the oiler is wound down to stop splatter. My chain is kept wet and that means I need to wipe some splatter off after a decent ride. It will interesting to see how the chain wears on the busa.
    Here for the ride.

Bike
    2013 CRF250L & 2007 KLR650

Prolan

how do you clean your chain, with kerosense? Do you wipe off the excess prolan after applying? I use prolan on just about every exposed metal surface but have yet to try on chain...

Bike
    2015 GSR750
    Quote Originally Posted by 888 View Post
    how do you clean your chain, with kerosense? Do you wipe off the excess prolan after applying? I use prolan on just about every exposed metal surface but have yet to try on chain...
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...Chain+cleaning

Bike
    I am really interested in hearing more about your use of Prolan as chain lube. I am currently using the Yamalube product, but it leaves a fair amount of splatter everywhere (even after wiping off). I'm tempted to just try using wd40, but Prolan might be a better option. How many k's have you ridden with just prolan, and how often have you re-applied it?

Bike
    2015 GSR750
    I am really interested in hearing more about your use of Prolan as chain lube. I am currently using the Yamalube product, but it leaves a fair amount of splatter everywhere (even after wiping off). I'm tempted to just try using wd40, but Prolan might be a better option. How many k's have you ridden with just prolan, and how often have you re-applied it?
    I don't know anything about Prolan but don't go using WD40 on an O-ring chain..... apparently it dissolves the O-ring grease inside the chain.
    If its any help to you, I use silkolene Chain Gel in a spray can.Its non fling and forms quite a stiff wax-like coating. I get it from Super cheap autos. they have quite a selection of synthetic and semi-synthetic chain lubes. Just make sure you read the label and, if it says O-ring safe then its good as gold.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by mattian View Post
    don't go using WD40 on an O-ring chain..... apparently it dissolves the O-ring grease inside the chain.
    No it doesn't.

Bike
    2015 GSR750
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    No it doesn't.
    Oh ok... sorry. I was always told that WD40 acts like a de-greaser and can corode away some of the grease sealed inside the o-ring chain.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by mattian View Post
    Oh ok... sorry. I was always told that WD40 acts like a de-greaser and can corode away some of the grease sealed inside the o-ring chain.
    The operative word there is "sealed".
    If it gets in there you have other problems.

WD-40 themselves recommend it for o-ring chains.

I chopped up a chain well past it's use by date off my XR250 race bike and it'd only been lubed with WD-40 and there was still plenty of grease on the pins.

Bike
    black 1
    wd40 ftw!

Bike
    Prolan works fantastic as a chain lube...so far. After trying several brands and getting tired of the goop build up and splatter, I cleaned the chain today and applied Prolan. After 30 ks of riding, no splatter, and the chain is still shiny with lube. I have been using Prolan on the bike, with no rust after a full year of getting blasted by Hokitika salt rain. I reckon Prolan is the best product out there for just about any metal protection. It works great on my firearms as well. GO PROLAN! Oh yeah, I also sell Prolan products in my store.....

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by peasea View Post
    You young'uns have it soooo easy, everythings in an aerosol these days isn't it? When I was a boy.............we had a product from Duckhams that came in a can large enough to hold your whole chain. It looked a bit like soft candle wax. You plonked your chain in, sitting on top of the goop, then placed the can on the gas hob (much to mum's delight) and heated it until the goop was liquid, then gently lifted your chain out with a length of wire or something.

This shit really got into (and onto) your chain and made refitting your chain a bit of a greasy hassle. Heaven help you if you spilled any in the kitchen too, which I can recall doing more than once.

Ahh, those were the days.

(So glad they're gone, I gotta belt now and that works just fine.)
    I've still got a tin of that somewhere. I remember my Dad leaving it on the stove, wandering off & letting it catch fire. What a mess, what a laugh!

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    Prolan works fantastic as a chain lube...so far. After trying several brands and getting tired of the goop build up and splatter, I cleaned the chain today and applied Prolan. After 30 ks of riding, no splatter, and the chain is still shiny with lube. I have been using Prolan on the bike, with no rust after a full year of getting blasted by Hokitika salt rain. I reckon Prolan is the best product out there for just about any metal protection. It works great on my firearms as well. GO PROLAN! Oh yeah, I also sell Prolan products in my store.....
    No bias there then, eh?

Thread Information