Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: long ride gear

Bike

long ride gear

Never been on a long ride before, just wondering what I should pack etc.
    about 180k there and 180k back. (this thread )

in regards to threads. I have two options.

1) super mega protection
    shorts t-shirt
    old racing leathers which are really really right and uncomfortable (like give me a camel-toe tight)
    then cordura pants and dririder jacket on top of that. and work style boots (I cant fit the racing boots I got)

2) good protection
    Jeans, T-Shirt, Cordura pants, Dririder jacket, work boots, and if its cold Ill use a wool turtle neck.

my bike does 200k a tank give or take so Id like to take a small container although I dont have any of petrol.
    fill up the oil before I go.

and. usual smokes, snacks, water.
    oh and a sortof map thing

oh and I might fashion myself the smoking attachment
    I only posted this because of the global economic crisis

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Don't forget a truss.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Triumph Sprint ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2
    Don't forget a truss.
    Rupture is avoidable

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    dude, you're going for a ride, not a camp over..
    ride in what you're comfortable riding in, but always be the best protected. Option 2 is fine, option 1 is a tad over-kill, and you'll be sweating by the time you get anywhere. And you wouldn't need jeans under Cordura pants, you'll cook some more!

Remember that things change when you start riding. Things cool down as you move, so if you're stood around too hot, then you might be ok during the ride, unless you start to get physical on the bike, then you'll warm up again. If you're stood around too cold, ain't gonna get much better on the ride. I'll be in what I'm always in - Cordura pants and jacket (with liners back in ), t-shirt underneath, boots, lid n gloves.

the ride is about ~130ks from where we meet at Paps to the BP at the other end

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrocam
    Never been on a long ride before, just wondering what I should pack etc.
    about 180k there and 180k back. (this thread )

in regards to threads. I have two options.

1) super mega protection
    shorts t-shirt
    old racing leathers which are really really right and uncomfortable (like give me a camel-toe tight)
    then cordura pants and dririder jacket on top of that. and work style boots (I cant fit the racing boots I got)

2) good protection
    Jeans, T-Shirt, Cordura pants, Dririder jacket, work boots, and if its cold Ill use a wool turtle neck.

my bike does 200k a tank give or take so Id like to take a small container although I dont have any of petrol.
    fill up the oil before I go.

and. usual smokes, snacks, water.
    oh and a sortof map thing

2 hours out 2 back , max ? Decently maintained bike you shouldn't need anything . I can't be bothered taking tyre change gear nowdays. I'm sure I will regret that before long. Why don't bikes have spare wheels.

Always a good map. Cellphone just in case. Gear depends on the weather. If it's cold and wet take a change of socks. Hate than having to come home in wet feet. You didn't mention gloves ? An oversight I presume?

Hardly worth carting snacks for such a short trip. Your first stop will be your destination, buy something there.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Triumph Sprint ST
    Quote Originally Posted by bungbung
    Rupture is avoidable
    Although resign yourself to the fate after 360km on an RG150 unless you're 4ft tall.

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XT225, 2010 Electric scooter
    If you're going near desert road at night, wear an army-surplus greatcoat over everything, thermal (polypropylene) underwear, multiple layers of socks and carry a reflective survival blanket and fire-lighting gear. Also take a thermos of hot soup because I don't think the Waiuru residents have discovered "hot food" yet - fucking morons! They make Taihape into a beacon of civilisation.
    http://wolfmotorcycling.freehostia.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny side up View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    Buell Xb12x, SR500
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    2 hours out 2 back , max ? Decently maintained bike you shouldn't need anything . I can't be bothered taking tyre change gear nowdays. I'm sure I will regret that before long. Why don't bikes have spare wheels.
    they do - they're called vespas
    I am Jack's complete lack of remorse .

Bike
    ok whats a truss?

re jeans under my cordura. um. my pants are kinda. *cough* aquired from an insurance claim salvage when I was a claims handler. and they are about 2 sizes to big by themselves. jeans make them at least feel not too baggy.

yeah I had to put liners in a week ago. but I love it with them in now. so comfy. feel like I could come of and have a pleasent float down the road

helmet and gloves.
    brand new HJC kast cl-14 (side rant: I was gonna buy an arai but at motomail _NONE_ of them fit me, and then NONE of the expensive HJC's fit me either. so I got pissed of and went back to the local (colemans ) and splashed out for a $350 HJC. I really wanted a $600 on finance but oh well)

but I am wondering about gloves. My original gloves which are really nice are have a big fattie of a hole in the palm of the right hand. with the recent cold Ive started to wear snow gloves. super comfy but less movement. and proberly no protection value whatsoever

Quote Originally Posted by bungbung
    Although resign yourself to the fate after 360km on an RG150 unless you're 4ft tall.
    um. really confused.

oh and lastly. I get a sore arse after a decent (hour) ride. proberly dude to my arse being too fat for the seat. or the low quality of the seat. is there ways to 'protect' myself ther?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    If you're going near desert road at night, wear an army-surplus greatcoat over everything, thermal (polypropylene) underwear, multiple layers of socks and carry a reflective survival blanket and fire-lighting gear. Also take a thermos of hot soup because I don't think the Waiuru residents have discovered "hot food" yet - fucking morons! They make Taihape into a beacon of civilisation.
    I can't help thinking that it ought to be possible to utilise the water cooling systems of modern bikes to good purpose, for heating food/ keeping warm. Maybe an oldfashioned rubber hot water bottle and drain the radiator into it. Heat exchanger? Unfortunately the radiator fulid is poisonous (isn't it ?) so there goes the idea of dried soup mix.

I once experimented with trying to heat a (cold - bloody crooked shopkeeper) meat pie up by tucking it into the crevices of a Velo head and running the engine fast for a while. Didn't work very well.
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    [QUOTE=pyrocam]ok whats a truss?

../QUOTE]

Oh boy. I am so not going anywhere near this one !

Mr Honda, you're a nurse , you explain

Bike
    [QUOTE=Ixion]
    ok whats a truss?

../QUOTE]

I suspect you dont mean

Bike
    XR600
    i have to say i always carry a first aid kit, to use on myself or others.

if i was stuck somewhere i would hope that somone would have a kit to help fix me up.

if not i have one.

io have also helped other accident people from it. they are small (depeneds on what ya want) but however the price does vary.

but worth looking into.

Bike
    Buell Xb12x, SR500
    but I am wondering about gloves. My original gloves which are really nice are have a big fattie of a hole in the palm of the right hand. with the recent cold Ive started to wear snow gloves. super comfy but less movement. and proberly no protection value whatsoever
    man - in the cold and wet, gloves are the difference between a good ride and a shithouse ride IMHO.
    you're right - the ski gloves will be useless in an accident.

you DO NOT WANT A HAND INJURY

i broke my thumb off road when i was twenty.
    it took 6 months to be strong enough to really use it.
    i have some spool hard knuckle race gloves for summer and some non-brand kevlar winter gloves - money well spent.
    k
    Last edited by Badcat; 29th April 2005 at 15:48. Reason: typo
    I am Jack's complete lack of remorse .

Bike
    Triumph Sprint ST
    [QUOTE=Ixion]
    ok whats a truss?

../QUOTE]

Google 'truss rupture'

Thread Information