Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KTM quits Dakar over capacity rule

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F

KTM quits Dakar over capacity rule

Eight-time Dakar Rally champions KTM are quitting the Dakar rally, following a decision by the organisers to restrict engine sizes to 450cc.

KTM said the 450cc limit was ‘unthinkably unsuitable for use in long distance rallies’ and they could ‘no longer economically justify a commitment to be engaged in the Dakar in the future’. The company also blamed short lead times to adjust to the 450cc standard. KTM Motor Sport Advisor Heinz Kinigadner added “The financial consequences that results from this decision are enormous. Quite apart from this, we are shocked by the organiser’s lack of loyalty, above all because of the huge efforts we made following the cancellation of the Dakar in 2008 by contributing to the new edition - even during a period of extreme economic crisis.”
    http://www.motobke.co.uk

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't own a 450cc motorcycle for all my riding, let alone want to compete on one...

Pity though, KTM and Dakar is like Motorcycles and roads...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    . .
    Isn't this old news?

This in june
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ighlight=dakar

And then this
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ighlight=dakar

Where you been Bob?

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Not quite. KTM were weighing up their options and had negotiated the 450 limit application out a year as all their competition bikes were ready to go in 690 format. They were obviously hoping to get the limit reversed altogether but failed. Makes a total mockery of their 690 range of bikes really. Add to that their extensive testing of 450cc engines (125cc MotoG class replacement - probably) of late and I think they know what they are talking about in terms of engine longevity and expense.

There's a difference between threatening to quit and actually doing it. The organisers have been really daft IMO. KTM kept the Dakar going even after it wasn't even going to Dakar with a range of financial aid for the event and riders.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    . .
    Yes but all this was said in a press release in June

"The financial consequences that results from this decision are enormous. Quite apart from this, we are shocked by the organiser’s lack of loyalty, above all because of the huge efforts we made following the cancellation of the Dakar in 2008 by contributing to the new edition - even during a period of extreme economic crisis,” said KTM Motor Sport Advisor and “Rally Legend” Heinz Kinigadner in a first statement.

Following the decision for the deployment of 450cc motorcycles, which are unthinkably unsuitable for use in long distance rallies,"

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, but they hadn't actually quit at that point.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthrax View Post
    Every now and again, an ages old piece of news pops up at the top of the news listings for some unfathomable reason. Looks like this is one of them.

Ho hum, suppose one old item out of about what? 200? 250? 300 news items reported this year ahead of most? Not a bad hit rate I suppose!
    http://www.motobke.co.uk

Bike
    . .
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Yeah, but they hadn't actually quit at that point.
    Yes they had

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    This was the last release I saw

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/kt...lly-14508.html

The ones in June were a threat to quit and I distinctly remember reading about month ago that 450 limit had been moved back a year to allow the above bike to compete. I believe the truck has now been pulled as well.

Bike
    04 Buell XB12R 06 WR250F
    anyway back on track, I do agree the 450 would be unsuitable.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    450's clean up at the Australian Safari that runs for several days.
    Obviously a different event, (the Dakar has longer high speed sections), but a works 450 can match and beat the big behemoths in 80% of riding.
    160km/h on rough terrain is freaking fast. The 450's can do it.
    HTFU KTM, your orange slip is showing

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    do bmw have a 450 dakar?
    I wonder if the cars will have to be completely diesel soon too. This wont affect VW. But I can see great changes afoot.
    Baja is sounding better each year
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    450's clean up at the Australian Safari that runs for several days.
    Obviously a different event, (the Dakar has longer high speed sections), but a works 450 can match and beat the big behemoths in 80% of riding.
    160km/h on rough terrain is freaking fast. The 450's can do it.
    HTFU KTM, your orange slip is showing
    It's cost KTM a fortune to keep the Dakar going. Their entire programme is based around the 650cc 690 bikes. They've put a significant amount of money in to keep the event going and they don't have an 450cc adventure bikes at all. They can't rejig the programme in time for the event. They've been the sole major manufacturer for a while. Their MX 450s aren't designed for raids.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    KTM isn't the Dakar. It is one of many companies that have won, (and profited from those wins). Times change, adapt or stop competing. The 690 range will still sell, as it is a good range.
    Dakar was about testing a firms range of bikes in challenging environs. If they hedge their marketing angle on one or two annual events, then they need a serious board reshuffle. MHO

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    I believe the truck has now been pulled as well.
    Bugger.

I was SO looking forward to a wee thrash.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Thread Information