Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Southward Bound (Auck to Wellywood) 3-7 Jan

Bike
    that black thing above the puddle of oil
    Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    cnut cnut cnut

Do we want to risk breaking Chris at the beginning of his big trip?
    He'll be fine. It's that pretty orange bike I'm more worried about.
    Showing off for the camera since ages ago

Barts Photos
    Barts adventure photo thread

Bike
    KLR650 WR450

continuing thread hijack - sorry Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    He'll be fine. It's that pretty orange bike I'm more worried about.

the depth of your concern is overwhelming

Bike
    690 Advenduro
    the depth of your concern is overwhelming
    I need not your concern, just your help up

No thread hijack to be seen, this sort of ride is exactly why I posted this thread.
    "As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts." ― Herman Melville

Bike
    XL650V Silver Streak!
    Quote Originally Posted by c.h.r.i.s View Post
    I need not your concern, just your help up

No thread hijack to be seen, this sort of ride is exactly why I posted this thread.
    Yeah get that 690 up Cnut Chris... show Marks how its done!
    Cheers, Dave

Bike
    690 Advenduro
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Yeah get that 690 up Cnut Chris... show Marks how its done!
    I will try.

So where is this hill you guys speak of?

I will probably be staying the night of the 5th in Whanganui/Bulls or near by. And will have the 6th as a bit of a gentle day probably do that "Whariti Rd" one you mentioned MarkS.

Where should I say for the night of the 6th?
    Would be great if I am nearby somewhere I could drop my gear as cnut hill hardly sounds like one I will want to attempt fully luggage'd.
    "As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts." ― Herman Melville

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    I will try.

I will probably be staying the night of the 5th in Whanganui/Bulls or near by. And will have the 6th as a bit of a gentle day probably do that "Whariti Rd" one you mentioned MarkS.

Would be great if I am nearby somewhere I could drop my gear as cnut hill hardly sounds like one I will want to attempt fully luggage'd.
    its at the bottom of the Wairarapa below Martinborough

if you do Whariti Rd and North Range Rd and go east down to Pahiatua and get accommodation at Masterton or Carteron or somewhere similar

I'll meet you at a coffee shop called Tuis or some bloody thing (was called Toppy's and should be called Titties) in Martinborough 9.25-10ish on the morning of the 7th

Bart - are you in for the 7th?

Bike
    1999 BMW R1100GS / 2012 WR 250 R
    Forget Maxwell Station Rd turn left at Kai Iwi and take the Rangitatau East Rd, Bruce Rd loop. Awesome Rd and scenery, brings you out into Aramaho at the top end of Fonganewey

Bike
    that black thing above the puddle of oil
    Bart - are you in for the 7th?
    At this stage I'm in. We'll see how things develope. I'm off now until the 11th, so hope to get plenty of riding in once xmas/new year are out of the way.

I might have to get another tyre, as I doubt the Trail Wing look alike would get me up there.

Chris, I may be able to play tour guide on the 6th also. If time and it's a nice day, you could possibly skip Whariti and do Takapari.
    Showing off for the camera since ages ago

Barts Photos
    Barts adventure photo thread

Bike
    silly green dirt bike..........DOH
    Blog Entries
    I will try.

HI Chris..

welcome to camp here mate.

the KB lodge.

i wont be able to join in for the ride, as im working over xmas new year..

JMJ
    I FEEL THE NEED, THE NEED FOR SPEED
    my ride picshttp://picasaweb.google.com/sueycarter
    other ride pics http://picasaweb.google.com/113645336286831595353

Bike
    690 Advenduro
    Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    At this stage I'm in. We'll see how things develope. I'm off now until the 11th, so hope to get plenty of riding in once xmas/new year are out of the way.

I might have to get another tyre, as I doubt the Trail Wing look alike would get me up there.

Chris, I may be able to play tour guide on the 6th also. If time and it's a nice day, you could possibly skip Whariti and do Takapari.
    Sounds good, no problem for it to be "sort out on the day jobbie"

JMJ, could be keen to take you up on that offer, but do you have a bed or a couch as I am riding tentless. And where is your place, I googled craparapa results were not obvious

Bike
    the mighty SUPER SHERPA

Thumbs up Now THIS looks like a REAL good one.

Quote Originally Posted by That looks like fun View Post
    Forget Maxwell Station Rd turn left at Kai Iwi and take the Rangitatau East Rd, Bruce Rd loop. Awesome Rd and scenery, brings you out into Aramaho at the top end of Fonganewey
    Must checkitout---although I can,t find "Bruce road" after rangitatau E Rd --my map says Kaurapaoa rd --then Kaiwhaiki rd--comming out @ Upokongaro on hiway 4---is that what you mean .
    AL.

Bike
    1999 BMW R1100GS / 2012 WR 250 R
    Upuk is on the Eastern Bank of the river If you come out there you will have gotten very wet at some stage or you will have been across a bridge. The nearest one of those being in Fongaknewey. Forget the Bruce Rd (wrong one it dont exist) go with the Kaurapaoa Rd. It ends In Aramahoe. Its an excellent ride and some awesome scenery. When you come round the corner and the Wanganui River is suddenly before you its a catch your breath fall off your bike in wonder moment

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    go with the Kaurapaoa Rd. It ends In Aramahoe. Its an excellent ride and some awesome scenery. When you come round the corner and the Wanganui River is suddenly before you its a catch your breath fall off your bike in wonder moment
    went part way along this in the car a while ago. hopefully my wife couldnt see the tears as, under my breath, I chanted "want to be on bike ,want to be on bike ,want to be on bike ...."

beautiful road - made for an adv bike - and not ,especially after a big storm, made for a big fat mud plough Diamante

Bike
    690 Advenduro
    Upuk is on the Eastern Bank of the river If you come out there you will have gotten very wet at some stage or you will have been across a bridge. The nearest one of those being in Fongaknewey. Forget the Bruce Rd (wrong one it dont exist) go with the Kaurapaoa Rd. It ends In Aramahoe. Its an excellent ride and some awesome scenery. When you come round the corner and the Wanganui River is suddenly before you its a catch your breath fall off your bike in wonder moment
    Looks good, route file updated.

Just trying to work out how many km's to do in a day, I have myself doing around 350-400 per day, I do intend to take my time, and take plenty of photos.

Also do not want to tire myself out before cnut hill.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    ...Just trying to work out how many km's to do in a day, I have myself doing around 350-400 per day, I do intend to take my time, and take plenty of photos.....
    If you work on the average of 50kph which is very common for us down here (it may be diff for the north isle with all its small humps and turns) then thats 7-8 hours riding a day which doesnt leave much time for photos if you want to leave at 9 and be in by 6. If you are happy to kick the day off early and not arrive at your destination till much later then that is an ideal distance for the day.

We often find that a 300km day with plenty of photo taking and checking stuff out and home by mid evening is a great day out.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Thread Information