Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bikeless noob here (kiwirach83)

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Rach Ive got a range of 250's here. None of them are what you say you want --too old etc. but ive got a big enough range that you will get a clearer picture of what works for you. --IE I currently have 6 250 -150 bikes here for you to sit on
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Big ol' Hornet.
    Quote Originally Posted by cave weta View Post
    - GET A TRAIL BIKE......

You can fall off them without it costing you a grand
    You can have fun riding them hard and not be breaking the law.
    They make a brand especialy for girls (Honda)
    You are safer in the city on a traillie cos you can see and be seen better.
    You meet nicer people on Trail Bikes.
    You can explore.
    They are more forgiving to ride with more suspension travel and 21" front wheel
    You learn to ride better cos you can skid and slide in the dirt.
    All the bits and pieces are more accessable so you learn more.
    Even the dumbest people will never ask you if its a Harley.

If you buy a Kawasaki Sherpa- http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-231737698.htm
    they are so easy to sell when you have finished with it- and they go and go and go......
    +1
    And they're light enough to pick up when dropped.
    Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.
    Heinlein

MotoTT Trackdays

Bike
    a tricycle with a bell
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    Rach Ive got a range of 250's here. None of them are what you say you want --too old etc. but ive got a big enough range that you will get a clearer picture of what works for you. --IE I currently have 6 250 -150 bikes here for you to sit on
    Thanks, but I'm out in Welly Are you a motorbike salesman?

I can't take anything out for a test drive coz I don't know how to ride.

Also, would a trail bike be suitable for the Wellington motorway? I'm all about safety.
    Twisting and turning your feelings are burning you're raping a squirrrrrelllll..............

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
    +1
    And they're light enough to pick up when dropped.
    And much more suitable for the best environment in which to learn. Mud is nice'n soft.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwirach83 View Post
    Also, would a trail bike be suitable for the Wellington motorway? I'm all about safety.
    As long as the tyres are appropriate then a 250 trail bike would be fine on the motorway. Bit buzzy for any great distance, but by the time you figure that out you'll be in a far better position to know what to replace it with.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    BMW F650 Hoonda GB500 KTM525 sixdays
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99390862_full.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	156131

Have you test ridden that bike yet Rach?
    Retired- just some guy with a few bikes......

Bike
    2001 Yamaha Dragstar
    Hey Rach

Welcome along! a fellow noob here - both on bikes and to KB.....
    I have been riding for 6 weeks (although around bikes a lot longer) and picked up a 2001 Yamaha Dragstar for around $3k. I had someone to help me out and decided to start with a cruiser. Am really enjoying the ride, but will be 'sampling' a variety of styles in the future, i hope! I would recommend using the experience and knowledge of someone you know to help you get started - it can be quite daunting sussing all this out on your own! most important thing I got though was get a bike you are comfortable on, not one that looks pretty or sexy (but it can be comfortable and pretty ; - we are GIRLS after all...)

Anyhou, i am in Wellie (kapiti) too - so once you get your wheels would be great to meet up perhaps???

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Thanks, but I'm out in Welly Are you a motorbike salesman?

I can't take anything out for a test drive coz I don't know how to ride.

The bike itself--HECK YEA the tyres though Im not convinced in wellingtons changeable weather. --but tyres are easilly changed
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R

Thumbs up

Hmmmm, all of these sound good but I'll go with scenario #4 thanks Steve

What kind of bike do I need to ride with "hotboys"?
    haha, well if you want it all, and you want the technical approach, if I was coaching you, I'd suggest did not purchase anything until you got some training.

Really you need a local mentor who is prepared to keep you on the straight and narrow. It's just too easy for you to start embedding wrong practices from the beginning, and undo what you're actually trying to accomplish, and preventing you from ever reaching your goal.

Your best mentor is probably on the track the bucket racer crew in the Wellington area, with you on a little cheapie FXR150. You'll learn the skills from people who invented them, and have some damn good weekend fun thrown in.

Basically, if you want to learn to steer and brake like a sportbike rider, you have to start from the correct place, or you will embed too many bad habits that you will not be able to re-train out later on. That place is the track.

Within three months, you will be aching to get on the road, and then and only then, it will be time to think CBR250RR, GT250R, Bandit 250, Ninja 250, RS250, RGV250, FZR250, NSR250, etc, and within a month on THAT bike you will be fully entrenched in the ways of the racer/sportbiker, and inside two years time the hotboys will following YOU.

Opinion.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    2007 GSX1000R
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    haha, well if you want it all, and you want the technical approach, if I was coaching you, I'd suggest did not purchase anything until you got some training.

Really you need a local mentor who is prepared to keep you on the straight and narrow. It's just too easy for you to start embedding wrong practices from the beginning, and undo what you're actually trying to accomplish, and preventing you from ever reaching your goal.

Your best mentor is probably on the track the bucket racer crew in the Wellington area, with you on a little cheapie FXR150. You'll learn the skills from people who invented them, and have some damn good weekend fun thrown in.

Basically, if you want to learn to steer and brake like a sportbike rider, you have to start from the correct place, or you will embed too many bad habits that you will not be able to re-train out later on. That place is the track.

Within three months, you will be aching to get on the road, and then and only then, it will be time to think CBR250RR, GT250R, Bandit 250, Ninja 250, RS250, RGV250, FZR250, NSR250, etc, and within a month on THAT bike you will be fully entrenched in the ways of the racer/sportbiker, and inside two years time the hotboys will following YOU.

Opinion.

Steve
    That's all well and good, but some folk cannot afford the costs involved with racing, and preparation for racing.

Get any bike, find some people who can teach you good information and lines, and do lots of practising either with others, or by yourself.

Doing miles and miles of riding, is what helps to make a good rider. The track thing can always come later when you have experience. You never stop learning as a rider and ask heaps of questions too

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    I want to do a roadtrip of NZ at some stage and I have talked to people about that and they laughed when I said I wanted to do that on a 250.
    Well then they don't know what the fuck they're on about.

Stickchick's going to tour the NI for a couple weeks on her Scorpio in February. PM her and ask her about it.

It's been to and fro to Wellington and Hawkes Bay (from Auckland) a couple of times already. No worries.

Just get a Scorpio, you won't regret it.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
    That's all well and good, but some folk cannot afford the costs involved with racing, and preparation for racing.
    A shitter FXR150 racebike wont break the bank.

edit:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-259798659.htm

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
    Get any bike, find some people who can teach you good information and lines, and do lots of practising either with others, or by yourself.

Doing miles and miles of riding, is what helps to make a good rider. The track thing can always come later when you have experience. You never stop learning as a rider and ask heaps of questions too
    Yes, but its important that foundations are laid, particularly in the case of someone who has clearly defined goals, and needs that won't be met if those goals fail.

Riding and riding and riding (consolidation) is essential training, provided it is not repeating bad habits continuously, or else the habits can almost never be undone.

Too many riders start off, only to discover a few years later that they can never go where they want without substantial remedial/recovery training at great pain and expense.

Opinion.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    2001 Yamaha Dragstar
    @kiwirach: yeah - i got some similiar comments when i said that i would be holding on to my 250 for a while and tripping around. That said, i did my first big-ass ride on sunday - to and from Turangi in in one day. 8 hours all up riding time, about 700Ks. yeah, sure - I had to fill up a little more often, but that gave me some enforced breaks. my bike held up without a hitch, and except for a few less than enjoyable weather conditions - I had no trouble. And i was riding with the wing club - so 8-10 1500+cc Gold wings around and i had no trouble keeping up for the most part.

So I would completely agree with Jrandom: They don't know what the fuck they are on about.

Bike
    Black Ninja
    Hi Rach

I'm new here too, and returnng to the world of riding, bikes not horses.

I've been round the local bike shops and sat on a few, felt a complete twit but gave up caring once i was on the bike. Go and sit on a few and pretend, see what is comfortable. I'm going to be getting a little Ninja 250, not for about another 4 weeks, have some shit to do first.

good luck with it all, you'll find a bike that suits your body and you'll be away laughing

Bike
    2007 GSX1000R
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    Well then they don't know what the fuck they're on about.

Stickchick's going to tour the NI for a couple weeks on her Scorpio in February. PM her and ask her about it.

It's been to and fro to Wellington and Hawkes Bay (from Auckland) a couple of times already. No worries.

Just get a Scorpio, you won't regret it.
    Agreed. It doesn't matter what you ride. If you travel at a even pace for the bike you have, it would be fine for any distance of travel.

Bike
    Various things
    Hi all,

I got my learners few years back so hoping to get a 250 that I can be a nana and learn on and then graduate up to a bigger chunkier sexier bike once I have the skills and the moneys.

Still unsure on what bike to start out on, budget is around $5k and I want a new one. I wish they still sold brand new GN250's.

Any suggestions would be great.

Sincerely,

Rach
    The Town Drunkard

How 'bout a brand new Suzuki GZ250 for $5595.00? They're better quality than the Chinese built GN250's too!

I can help you with one of these...

Pete

Thread Information