Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohlins 30mm Cartridge Kit

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by Pussy View Post
    Cheers, Shaun.... I look forward to it!
    A lot of my thoughts are based on "the best you've ridden on is the best you know"

O dear then, you better be getting your cheque book ready then.

What you have is great, but the 30 is better
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    O dear then, you better be getting your cheque book ready then.

What you have is great, but the 30 is better
    We'll see!
    Although you know how I have based my opinion.... there has been one hell of a lot of differing set-ups I've tried!
    Others may disagree.... but I reckon that bending shim stack mid-valve rocks!

Edit: I'll try the 30s with an open mind!
    Member, sem fiddy appreciation society

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I find it ironic that the incredibly rude personal comments about Les were made by someone bearing an astonishing resemblance to a Monica Lewinsky dress accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    All was good until I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable after a while

Bike
    the town bike, everybody's ridden her.
    Yankee, Very good reply mate, Ohlin's can do what ever they want to, but imagine all the internet hero's having a WHINGE about the price if they did

MotoGP this and that, yea write, who the hell is going to spend that kind of money on there Road BIKE

The 30mm kit Robert talks about, is by far the very very best feal I have ever had on the breakes, ( This makes it safer and more ridable, well done Ohlin's) I guess as one leg does compression the other rebound, " The CROSS TALK" is seriously reduced, as each leg is doing it's own job!

Yea there will be some form of Viscosity, but when the fork is only doing one function, ( So oil NOT being forced in all directions through tiny holes and past a pile of shims) this slight disturbance to the oil, is Not going to be fealt by the rider/pilot.

As well all know, good fast safe riding, comes down to feal the bike has, the 30mm has the feal

" JD QUOTE" The reduced pressure differential across the 30mm piston goes some way to alleviating the risk of cavitation. 100% agree!

JD, your discription of take a bottle and half empty it, really is a short cut of the facts mate, you know that a fork works nothing like that with it's inner internals, for a start, having a massive shim stack in it, will help reduce/eliminate the effect you are talking about, " You take the same bottle, and only poor out 25% of it, and shake it again. Lordy lordy, only half the bubbles now"

I always was in Robert's face to build me shim stacks with a lot more than reccomeneded, I believed and still do, that control is all about flow rate, so I prefer a lot more thinner and narrower shims, than the base reccomened settings, believing that having more interfairence with the shim stack, would help eliminate the viscosity for a start, so I guess the idea of one leg doing one job and the other the Tother is proof to me that my thoughts of lots of shims were correct.
    Shaun, you appear to have little idea on how a fork functions, you quote a term you've heard here without knowing what it is and say it's reduced, what is CROSS TALK and what problems has it been giving you, how have your lap times been hampered by it?
    As Pussy quite rightly says his forks are not giving him any problems, I've yet to read a post by him where he says that every time he adjusts the compression he has to compensate with the rebound or vice versa.

If oil was only flowing in one direction your forks wouldn't work, you've got the idea of the functions being seperated all wrong.

The lumps of metal inside a fork are not passive, they are constantly cycling up and down, squeezing fluid through orifices, spraying it through jets, flowing it round and round, it's not a static cup subjected to a little vibration. Having a bigger cartridge, more metal inside the forks etc, etc has no effect on the aeration of the fluid, it's going to get aerated, the amount of aeration directly impacts the viscosity of the fluid, the aeration is not a constant equal factor, it's changing all the time giving an inconsistent damping action.

What does that last paragrah mean?

In building this cartridge Ohlins have removed the complete compression assembly, have a look at all the components that make up that assembly, the machining involved, the materials, the assembly time, they could easily have made a gas reservoir and associated components to make the 30mm gas pressurised for the same cost as the 25, enterprising suspension companies I suspect will be doing exactly that.

Bike
    Joe2 the ALMIGHTY
    this thread is awesome, keep the education coming!

Bike
    Legion
    Quote Originally Posted by JD Racing View Post
    they could easily have made a gas reservoir and associated components to make the 30mm gas pressurised for the same cost as the 25
    Just out of curiosity, what are people buying Ohlins 25mm cartridges where you are for?

MSRP over here is something like $1800 USD but no one was buying them. Now they are being sold for $1k USD or less and they are moving pretty quick. People are buying them used for around $600 USD.

I don't see Ohlins selling a gas charged cartridge to their distributors who are then going to turn around and re-sell it to their customers for close to that price.

Bike
    GSXR450
    Guess I better sit down and shut up then
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    the town bike, everybody's ridden her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Doodle Dandy View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what are people buying Ohlins 25mm cartridges where you are for?

MSRP over here is something like $1800 USD but no one was buying them. Now they are being sold for $1k USD or less and they are moving pretty quick. People are buying them used for around $600 USD.

I don't see Ohlins selling a gas charged cartridge to their distributors who are then going to turn around and re-sell it to their customers for close to that price.
    Were they not selling or were the distributers blowing out old stock to make way for the 30mm? The list of the kits being sold at a discount seems to match the 30mm application list pretty well.

Bike
    Legion
    T
    he list of the kits being sold at a discount seems to match the 30mm application list pretty well.
    There was no list, it was all applications as long as inventory lasted.

They weren't selling and they would not sell at $1800 USD.

The average club racer can get his stock cartridges re-valved and re-sprung for around $600 to $700 depending on who does it and what parts get put in. You can purchase Traxxion 20mm cartridges for under $1000. That average club racer is not going to go any faster by spending another $1k+ on a set of Ohlins cartridges with out of the box valving and poor support from Ohlins US.

Bike
    76 Sporty

The average club racer can get his stock cartridges re-valved and re-sprung for around $600 to $700 depending on who does it and what parts get put in. You can purchase Traxxion 20mm cartridges for under $1000. That average club racer is not going to go any faster by spending another $1k+ on a set of Ohlins cartridges with out of the box valving and poor support from Ohlins US.
    Careful......

Bike
    Various
    can you post video eveidence

Bike
    None
    No need to shut up Shaun. Even though JT made some valid points so did you. Its interesting that comments made are deficient of practical experience with this system. Yes they could be pressurised but just imagine that given the ''I can do it aproach'' how many would get serviced incorrectly. That is not justification in itself but Ohlins is a very successful company despite all the naysayers.
    Aso know Superbike, 600 and Formula 3 TRI series all used this system, in 25mm guise.

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    None
    The bleeds would have to differ from the Soqi and be one way valves then, how big a problem was cross talk, should Pussy be worried about his outdated conventional system?

Sounds like a solution looking for a problem to me, strange how Kayaba eliminated the very same thing in about 1991-92 on the ZXR400.
    The bleed circuits do not have to be checkvalved, think about it and the mass flow of the refill ports.

Bike
    None
    Were they not selling or were the distributers blowing out old stock to make way for the 30mm? The list of the kits being sold at a discount seems to match the 30mm application list pretty well.
    That is EXACTLY what is happening, blowing out old stock. But then you are also buying something that is out of date performance wise.

Bike
    None
    To the gutless Tag Line person, how can Ohlins = ripoff when their net profit is 7% ??????

Bike
    None

But with excellent Ohlins backup support and personalised setup they can indeed go faster. It seems many of your countrymen like to discount them around the world but backup is an unknown commodity even in your own country! I know your thoughts on this subject are similiar and very perceptive.
    If Traxxion installed a decent rebound piston in their cartridges theyd work a whole lot better on that score alone, but 20mm is way outdated for ultimate performance. They just dont push enough fluid.

Thread Information