Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohlins 30mm Cartridge Kit

Ohlins 30mm Cartridge Kit

Looks like ohlins has moved across to 30mm cartridge over the 25mm.

And also moved to the r1 style with with left fork compression, and right fork rebound.

With all adjustments are made on top of the fork rather than top and bottom.

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Hmm, what would those cost he said wondering out loud....

Quote Originally Posted by NZsarge View Post
    Hmm, what would those cost he said wondering out loud....
    cheaper then current cartridges or so i am lead to believe, but in turn they do not come with springs, you have to by the spring that suits you better. But the overall cost is meant to be cheaper then current kits.

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
    cheaper then current cartridges or so i am lead to believe, but in turn they do not come with springs, you have to by the spring that suits you better. But the overall cost is meant to be cheaper then current kits.
    Ok, good to know, well it would be if I knew what the current ones cost..

Bike
    RSVR-BICILINDRICO
    If your bike doesn't have Ohlins standard , I believe they are around 3k for a set there abouts .

SENSEI PERFORMANCE TUNING

" QUICKER THAN YOU SLOWER THAN ME "

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    If your bike doesn't have Ohlins standard , I believe they are around 3k for a set there abouts .
    No they will be much cheaper. Currently pre production / prototype units being used by Craig Shirriffs. In 25mm guise we have used this independent system since Paeroa with Craig and Hayden. Also Stroud, Bugden, Skatchill, Terry Fitz. The results speak for themselves.
    As an aside as the official Ohlins distributor we only use GENUINE Ohlins valving shims and setting components. If you are using someone else ( NOT accredited to Ohlins ) ask why he is using shims of lower quality and finish ( locally made ) It will be because of a lower purchase price and more profit, these shims would fail quality control at Ohlins. Immoral...

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    Legion
    Here are some more pics -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ohlins 30mm Superbike Cartridge (09 R1) 01.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	156074   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ohlins 30mm Superbike Cartridge (09 R1) 04.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	156075   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ohlins 30mm Superbike Cartridge (09 R1) 03.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	156076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ohlins 30mm Superbike Cartridge (09 R1) 05.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	156077  

Bike
    the town bike, everybody's ridden her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    No they will be much cheaper. Currently pre production / prototype units being used by Craig Shirriffs. In 25mm guise we have used this independent system since Paeroa with Craig and Hayden. Also Stroud, Bugden, Skatchill, Terry Fitz. The results speak for themselves.
    As an aside as the official Ohlins distributor we only use GENUINE Ohlins valving shims and setting components. If you are using someone else ( NOT accredited to Ohlins ) ask why he is using shims of lower quality and finish ( locally made ) It will be because of a lower purchase price and more profit, these shims would fail quality control at Ohlins. Immoral...
    They'd want to be a lot cheaper, half the parts found in a normal cartridge are missing and Soqi have done the development work.
    Yet again Ohlins dumb down the suspension and call it progress, the whole part of the system that meters rod displacement has been consigned to the bin, the multiple compression tuning variables that were available have been reduced to a single midvalve, even Racetech do not consider this to be sufficient.

I'm in a world of moral confusion, constantly I read how riders buying things themselves from overseas is morally corrupt, stealing the food off honest hard working Kiwi's plates, then the next minute a guy using locally sourced Kiwi manufactured shims is immoral, he should be importing them from Sweden, I'm all conflicted, what's a guy to do for the best?

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by JD Racing View Post
    They'd want to be a lot cheaper, half the parts found in a normal cartridge are missing and Soqi have done the development work.
    Yet again Ohlins dumb down the suspension and call it progress, the whole part of the system that meters rod displacement has been consigned to the bin, the multiple compression tuning variables that were available have been reduced to a single midvalve, even Racetech do not consider this to be sufficient.

I'm in a world of moral confusion, constantly I read how riders buying things themselves from overseas is morally corrupt, stealing the food off honest hard working Kiwi's plates, then the next minute a guy using locally sourced Kiwi manufactured shims is immoral, he should be importing them from Sweden, I'm all conflicted, what's a guy to do for the best?

what's a guy to do for the best?[/QUOTE]

Stay off the Internet probally Ha Ha Ha
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    Legion
    It seemed to work well for Yamaha in WSS.

I would assume that any company is always looking to move forward. Ohlins had previously taken other steps to eliminate the cross talk between the circuits and now this is their latest evolution.

Another benefit is that it is much quicker to alter the valving than a traditionally configured cartridge.

Bike
    Joe2 the ALMIGHTY
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Doodle Dandy View Post

I would assume that any company is always looking to move forward. Ohlins had previously taken other steps to eliminate the cross talk between the circuits and now this is their latest evolution.

Another benefit is that it is much quicker to alter the valving than a traditionally configured cartridge.
    Is WP run much over there or has it been?

Bike
    Legion
    Quote Originally Posted by Bren_chch View Post
    Is WP run much over there or has it been?
    I know WP was pretty big in WSS a few years ago but I believe the majority of the teams migrated over to Ohlins.

WP doesn't really have a presence over here in the US. The only ones I can recall using them was the factory Kawasaki team in the early 2000's when KMC signed a deal with them to do all their racing stuff. That was when they were running their humongous tube all aluminum forks.

Bike
    Joe2 the ALMIGHTY
    interesting info, thanks.

Bike
    the town bike, everybody's ridden her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Doodle Dandy View Post

You've read the marketing material on cross talk, now explain to us all how that works.

Bike
    Legion
    You've read the marketing material on cross talk, now explain to us all how that works.
    I haven't read any marketing material at all on this but would be interested to see it so if you have some I would appreciate you forwarding it to me.

As for how it works, there is a delay in the compression stack opening due to a pressure loss caused by the fluid flowing through the low speed rebound circuit. In the past Ohlins had taken steps to isolate the circuits by redesigning their rebound holders so they did not flow through the shaft but through holes added at the base of the rebound holder. These holes were closed by a check plate when the fork compressed.

As has been discussed on here in multiple threads, the check plate and spring (which you are a fan of) or a mid valve (which Robert is a fan of) is used to provide damping at these lower cartridge pressures but from what I have read from various internet sources is that this is more of a compromise than an ideal solution.

Of course there would be a delay in pressure build up when the fork extends also, but from what I see more attention is being paid to the compression damping than with the rebound damping.

It is my belief that this design in Ohlins next step forward as I would not think that it is their intention to move backwards.

I will admit right up front that I am not on your or Robert's level and have a lot to learn, but I do try to improve my knowledge every chance I get so please correct me where I am wrong.

Thread Information