Thread: My North Island Trip. Where are all the Have-To-Do roads?

Bike
    a blue one VN 900c

My North Island Trip. Where are all the Have-To-Do roads?

Im planning a wee trip from the Woodskock Rally up to Auckland, gotta be there by Thursday 4th for AC DC. Then thinking of going up and around Northland - not been there before and coming back down thru East coast to Wellington again and back to Dunedin. Havnt got much well any real knowledge of North Island roads so any local advice of the best rides would be greatly appreciated.
    DREAM LIKE YOULL LIVE FOR EVER ...LIVE LIKE YOULL DIE TODAY

balanced . systems . stimulate . civilisations

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    Some suggestions,in no particular order.

North of Auckland:

Paparoa to Oakleigh Rd.
    Mangakahia Rd (Twin Bridges)
    SH 12 through the Waipoua Forest.
    Kohukohu to Kaitaia through Broadwood.
    SH1 Mangamuka Hill.
    Matauri Bay Loop.
    Russell to Whakapara through Oakura.
    Waipu to Mangawhai to Pakiri to Leigh (tiny bit of unsealed ->10km)

look them up and string together your route.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Def do East Cape (or Waioeka Gorge) and down through Wairoa to HB. Give us a call and we'll see you further south via some interesting roads.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    RIGHTO WELLY MOB... FREE2B rates as one of the good ones, so hows about ya's sort a ride out for her like you did for Rashika, myself and I thing AJ and BB (or was that another time)

For us it was awesome to do the north Is with out touching SH/W1
    BOP... you guys did the same, F2B is traveling alone so riding buddys on the way she would apresiate.
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Knowing your bike and style of riding, I would suggest that from Wellington head north on SH1 to Bulls then carry straight ahead on SH3 to Hawera. (Wanganui is a good place to stay overnight). Again take the straight ahead road (HW43) onto the Surf Highway and around the west side of Mt Egmont.

North of New Plymouth the highway over Mt Messenger and then the Awakino Gorge are just brilliant. At Otorohanga turn left just before you enter the town CBD and take HW 31/39 to Whatawhata. If you are short of time then just continue straight ahead to rejoin SH1 at Ngaruawahia, but if you have a few hours to spare then turn left at Whatawhata onto HW23 then right onto HW22 through Pukekoe to Drury.

Enjoy your trip.
    Time to ride

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Good suggestions above, also plan to take in Coromandel on your way down from Auckland - a burn up to Coromandel town, then over the top & down the other side is good. If the weather is good I would then definitely go around East Cape rather than short cutting through the Waioeka. Keep us posted as to your travels & you'll no doubt be able to meet up with a few locals for a drink or a meal along the way.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    a blue one VN 900c
    cOOl awesome people thanx. I will get onto google maps in the weekend and start planning a bit of a route. Have got the early ferry crossing booked on !st Feb so thinking after that Wanganui sounds like a good place to get. Will have a look at your suggestions Jantar ( thinking I will have plenty time to take in a few xtra bits) and yours too Pixie really looking forward to having a look round up that way.

Bike
    a blue one VN 900c
    well I have made it to Auckland after the Woodstock to Picton and thru to Wanganui. Up to Taumaranui met up with a couple riding from Chch and then down the forgotten world highway and stayed at the Wangamomina Hotel ...Awesome!! then up the coast thru Awakino Gorge and back road to Auckland with a small detour to Raglan. If everything goes to plan will head up Northland tomorrow via Helensville and Dargaville.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    sounds great F2B, no times to stick to never ending roads... yeah I remember done it a few times. Enjoy and dont wonder to far into the bush up nortland way, they still have tradional hungies up there
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by FREE2B View Post
    well I have made it to Auckland after the Woodstock to Picton and thru to Wanganui. Up to Taumaranui met up with a couple riding from Chch and then down the forgotten world highway and stayed at the Wangamomina Hotel ...Awesome!! then up the coast thru Awakino Gorge and back road to Auckland with a small detour to Raglan. If everything goes to plan will head up Northland tomorrow via Helensville and Dargaville.
    Enjoy your ride F2B and we want plenty of pics when you return. I missed your lovely smile at the vincent last evening, but I bet you are having fun anyway.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    F2B dropped by for a cuppa on her way north.I was hoping to tag along for a few hours,but a prior commitment canned that.
    Might be able to revisit that when she heads south.

Bike
    a blue one VN 900c
    Wahoo didnt get trapped in any hungis did a bit of wandering round in the bush tho. And I will be at the Vincent next year for sure
    After a cuppa with Pixie shot up the west side and had an over nighter in Waiou forrest. Had a wee tyre problem next day in Omapre. Got one couriered up from whaanagrei and a lovely man on a triumph thunderbird helped me pick it up from kaikoe and get it on the bike...unfortunately it was wrong size and my mudguard wouldnt fit back on. It got me to kaitaia tho and they ordered me the right one. down the east side and back to Auckers for couple of days..then out to Hampdon Downs for a couple of hours before heading off to Tauranga and eventually Gisbourne. Couple of days there and then Napier and I am now in Wellington. Looked round Te Papa and the usual will catch a Ferry tomorrow Nearly home but hey cud easy turn round and do it all again.

Thread Information