Thread: I'm looking for a new bike. A little help?

Bike
    Honda CBR250RR, Sach's MADASS 125
    Blog Entries

I'm looking for a new bike. A little help?

I need to retire the Sach's Madass 125 i have. Sure the thing looks as mad as a hatter on heroine, it's just not quick enough to give a grin. Handles like it's attached to rails tho (^_^).

Anyway, I started out on a ZXR 250 A Model, then went to the madass then to the CBR250RR which i promptly wrote off (see other thread), now im looking at going back to a ZXR a model again.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=264441702

I really liked my last ZXR, even tho it was completely knackered.

In your opinion, should i be lookin elsewhere? The bike will be got out on a loan so......
    Preferably don't wanna dig a hole too deep, if ya get my meaning.
    "Speed has never killed anyone!.... Suddenly becoming stationary, That's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson, Season 3 Topgear

Bike
    Blackbird with a million k's on it
    Ask yourself some questions first:

1 - How long until you can get your full license? You might just be better hanging out on the Madass if it's only a few months.
    2 - How much can you afford to lose on a bike? Bikes this age tend to need some work over and above the purchase price - brakes, cam chains, fork oil + seals, chains, etc.
    3 - Do you really want to spend $3200 on a bike that has aftermarket fairings (so it's been binned really good) and is TWENTY YEARS OLD!

I say this as someone who owned one (well, I had a CBR250RR, and a mate had a ZXR C model) so I know what they're all about.

Remember that they may be the fastest 250 4 strokes, but that's a bit like being the tallest dwarf - nothing really all that special. They're still slow as hell and they're all old and fucked now. Personally I'd get something newer and hassle free, and hang out until you get your full license. Then get a real sport bike to play on.
    Quote Originally Posted by thealmightytaco
    It's like a bunch of guys talking calmly, sharing advice, all utopian like, and then BAM, drunken hobo slams his jug on the table and tells everyone they need to start punching each other.
    Interesting.

Bike
    FXR150, ZXR400, Hyosung GT650 Comet
    Quote Originally Posted by crash harry View Post

1 - How long until you can get your full license? You might just be better hanging out on the Madass if it's only a few months.
    2 - How much can you afford to lose on a bike? Bikes this age tend to need some work over and above the purchase price - brakes, cam chains, fork oil + seals, chains, etc.
    3 - Do you really want to spend $3200 on a bike that has aftermarket fairings (so it's been binned really good) and is TWENTY YEARS OLD!

I say this as someone who owned one (well, I had a CBR250RR, and a mate had a ZXR C model) so I know what they're all about.

Remember that they may be the fastest 250 4 strokes, but that's a bit like being the tallest dwarf - nothing really all that special. They're still slow as hell and they're all old and fucked now. Personally I'd get something newer and hassle free, and hang out until you get your full license. Then get a real sport bike to play on.
    This is excellent advice, I'd be looking at something definitely newer and something in the higher cc bracket, probably a 400cc. Try and get as much cash together as poss, nothing worse than feeding the loan people with a heap of interest, be patient. Good luck with your search.
    I love my Bucket.

Bike
    Blog Entries

Mate! Fucking cheers, ZThat's awesome advice. So completely true.

Your adivce has already made me look past the 'want' factor

Dude i could've got my restricted 2 years ago
    im just lazy... i could be on my full right now if i had the get up and go to get it... >_>
    "Speed has never killed anyone!.... Suddenly becoming stationary, That's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson, Season 3 Topgear

Bike
    '09 DR-Z400SM; '89 VFR400R, '78 RD350E
    Get a NC30.

Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    I'm off to shoot a dairy owner and steal a hundred bucks from his till, if he dies, it's the dumb curries fault for not wearing a bullet proof vest.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddad View Post
    New Zealand, where cows are happy, men are men, sheep are nervous and horses are fast because they heard about the sheep.

Bike
    99 Suzie,05 R6.
    It looks good,but what nasties are lurking beneath!

Bike
    Marsha, she won't see this
    Blog Entries

Yipp, what he said I had a gsx 250 for 18 odd months, did a bit of playing 2500 km trip round the south island on it on my restricted, got my full and brought the buell brand new.

Truely only need a "To get you there bike" while you get your full and then buy within your means!!! and ability!!!
    Ashhurst Inn Apiti Scamper 2011
    $9000.00 RAISED, THANK YOU
    www.apitiscamper.co.nz

Bike
    flippy
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by .produKt View Post
    I need to retire the Sach's Madass 125 i have. Sure the thing looks as mad as a hatter on heroine, it's just not quick enough to give a grin. Handles like it's attached to rails tho (^_^).

Anyway, I started out on a ZXR 250 A Model, then went to the madass then to the CBR250RR which i promptly wrote off (see other thread), now im looking at going back to a ZXR a model again.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=264441702

I really liked my last ZXR, even tho it was completely knackered.

In your opinion, should i be lookin elsewhere? The bike will be got out on a loan so......
    Preferably don't wanna dig a hole too deep, if ya get my meaning.
    Get somthign you want!
    400 is a good stepping stone size...

Bike
    zx12
    Something seems pretty weird here. The ad says "Sad to see her go but i liked it so much I upgraded to the C model " I'm gonna call BS on that. If the bike is almost perfect he's not going to go and throw it away for a C model just for some slightly restyled fairings.

Also, the owner is a poser; look at the photos of his bike perfectly aligned with his boi racer skyline, lame. He probably rode the zxr around, binned it in front of his cody's drinking slut friends, painted it up and now has it up on the trademe.

haha, just kidding, it looks really mint actually. The only thing is that at that mileage zxrs need a new cam chain tensioner and cam chain too. The bits are cheap but the labour time is not apparently.

Bike
    Your mom
    Personally I'd get something newer and hassle free, and hang out until you get your full license. Then get a real sport bike to play on.
    The early 1990s were the golden era for high performance 250cc 4 stroke bikes. After that they became much slower and boring.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSXR-750
    hmmm. I liked the look of that bike too. Wife is trying to get me to get another bike so she can steal my cbr
    My posts look empty without a signature.

Bike
    Blog Entries

Unhappy This one's a lemon boys! >_+

Hey.

I checked out that Bike today.
    The owners name is Mohammad (Alarm bells ringing already). Bike has an odd tap tap tap noise to it that is akin to a improperly seated exhaust manifold or a sticking valve. It never went away. Even up to operating temperature.

Took for a test ride, (Which is surprising considering my broken and fractured clavicle done on the 26/12) (-_-)
    Front mud guard is cracked and flaps about up n down
    Good power, excellent low down pickup
    No audible 'cam chain needs replacing' noise
    Brakes are good.
    Suspension seemed a little stiff in the rear, i locked up the rear wheel whilst testing the rear brakes and there was not much pitch or language change in the bike - which set some more alarm bells ringing.
    Clutch felt knackered. In operation of the clutch the first 1.5cm of travel was dead zone, then you could feel the clutch which felt like the clutch spring(s) had compressed unnaturally. Felt horrible but operated alright. (Maybe a stretched clutch cable?)
    Tires are good, 6mm tread+ front and rear.
    No lips on brake disks
    No signs of leaking fork oil anywhere.
    Clean non pitted forks.
    Tarnished brake calipers. Dunno what to this about this they looks blimmen awful
    Replaced fairings... Probably an insurance write off

So yeah, i Guess you could say;

(Infomercial sales pitch)
    "Step right up, Step right up!
    This circus of a misused bike and all its problems for only $3200.00!!!!!

That's right only $3200.00!!!
    Buy it today and we'll even include all it's ongoing problems with it!
    You will spend hours trying to figure out why it won't start while hot and handles like a truck~!"

*laughing out loud at this point*

Oh and to whoever delivered a massive critique on the owner; You are right. The ZXR 'c' Model was in bits in his garage, Striped of it's lights, fairings, dignity etc. He's probably looking for a good place to hide a bomb.
    That's the impression this guy gave.
    And then he was talking about doing a straight swap for my MADASS 125cc ..... More alarm bells ring.

I'd LOVE a nc30. Seem some very tasty low km examples on trade-me

Bike
    1992 kwaka 250 ninja
    Blog Entries
    Well Mate if you want a zxr c model 1992 model, Ive got one in my garage. We bought it for $5,500 from Red Baron and only done 20k from 9k run. Always serviced and tensioners and chains changed. Paid bloody $800 +for the whole service and parts. Sons not riding it anymore due to new interest which is cars. Registration is on hold until someone buys it. You can have it for $4500 or near offer if you want it. You can view the bike if you want to.
    Few cracks and scratches but its better than the new models. Thats why a lot of people loves this old models because they were built to last. And you will still get your money back when you sell it. 1st owner anyways for the last 2 years. If interested to view ring me on my mobile 021 145 5950.
    Last edited by kawasutran; 11th January 2010 at 00:05. Reason: price change

Thread Information