Page 323 of 379 FirstFirst ... 223273313321322323324325333373 ... LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,845 of 5676

Thread: South Auckland Street Skills

Bike
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigadee View Post
    Conti's technology for their tyre surface is great. Rode my Contis from new like normal, never a slip or slide... Much grip, so confident, wow!
    I think it's just a textured mould. And I suspect the difference is mostly in our heads. Tyre break-in would have to be one of the most contentious subjects on a motorcycle forum - right up there with flip face helmets!😉 I was reading a forum recently where this very discussion was going on and a lot of the track guys were saying that they basically just take them out of the warmers and go hard from the first lap - most don't even bother to peel the stickers off!😨

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Quote Originally Posted by xXGIBBOXx View Post
    Hey peeps hope all is well , I have my full now ! Yeah I know about time boy and all that jazz . Brought a new toy , 2008 street triple
    Congrats and congrats! The Triple? Oh yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by aws View Post
    And I suspect the difference is mostly in our heads.
    Sort of like riding in the rain - I used to be such a nana and scaredy cat when riding in the rain, it was almost comical.

Now I'm more confident, I ride like normal - just with more vigilance watching other vehicles (who would have an even harder time seeing me), and for oil slicks on the road and white paint.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Bike
    A black one
    Quote Originally Posted by xXGIBBOXx View Post
    Hey peeps hope all is well , I have my full now ! Yeah I know about time boy and all that jazz . Brought a new toy , 2008 street triple , with 15000 mms on the clock 😁 fun new toy like riding a magic carpet sitting on the bike rather that in the bike like the 500 . Just need a name for her now ? Will post pictures soon 😁
    Congrats mate! That's the bike I'm thinking of moving to next actually. Either that or maybe an MT-09..

I think it's just a textured mould. And I suspect the difference is mostly in our heads. Tyre break-in would have to be one of the most contentious subjects on a motorcycle forum - right up there with flip face helmets!😉 I was reading a forum recently where this very discussion was going on and a lot of the track guys were saying that they basically just take them out of the warmers and go hard from the first lap - most don't even bother to peel the stickers off!😨
    I dunno. Perhaps like you say it's just a mental thing, but I know that when I get brand new tyres on a bike it definitely feels a bit more skitish to me for the first 10-20kms or so. After that I just ride like normal though.

Look up Marcel Irnie on YouTube - he's a professional racer in the America/Canada circuits and you can see a bunch of his videos on track where guys run brand new tyres with stickers on and they are cranked over right from the start. Those stickers don't last long at 250kph+. :P

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Was speaking to the guys at Drury tyres, they can tell you how many people have gone for a slide just outside the shop on new tyres. It has to do a lot with compound, pressure etc etc.

Track tyres are soft anyway and will have traction right away, but will still need heating to get to there best.

My rules is ride normally but just dont pin it for 10ks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Quote Originally Posted by f2dz View Post
    Either that or maybe an MT-09..
    Mmmmmm, if I were to move to another bike, that'd be the one I'd get!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Bike
    XL1200c Sporty HD
    Blog Entries
    Congrats on the full licence and new ride Gibbox, fantastico! Have fun out there and eagerly awaiting pics -triple...och such a sleek machine, riders always look like they're gliding along the asphalt. Have a great ANZAC everyone.

Bike
    Slow one

Bike
    Slow one
    After a day of ownership , Letty is now sporting new bar end mirrors and a sexy Zard exhaust . And photos to prove it happened .lol

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by james.g.gibbs View Post
    After a day of ownership , Letty is now sporting new bar end mirrors and a sexy Zard exhaust . And photos to prove it happened .lol
    Nice man! Really really nice. Enjoy.

I like the old mirrors. LOL

Bike
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR
    Quote Originally Posted by f2dz View Post
    I dunno. Perhaps like you say it's just a mental thing, but I know that when I get brand new tyres on a bike it definitely feels a bit more skitish to me for the first 10-20kms or so. After that I just ride like normal though.
    I've never noticed anything unusual with new tyres, but then again I never normally ride that hard anyway, and usually take it easy on new tyres - just because, why take the risk

Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Was speaking to the guys at Drury tyres, they can tell you how many people have gone for a slide just outside the shop on new tyres. It has to do a lot with compound, pressure etc etc.

Track tyres are soft anyway and will have traction right away, but will still need heating to get to there best.

My rules is ride normally but just dont pin it for 10ks.
    I think the key is that the tyres need to be warm. "Outside the shop" implies "cold" as I doubt they use tyre warmers . 10 Ks ought to do it .

I recall following someone else on a ride one night back in the day. He was a bit slow getting ready, so my bike was well warmed up by the time we left. With a warmed up bike, I gave it a bit more herbs on the first corner than I usually would with a cold bike. Man did I find out what a difference a few Ks of warm up riding make to your grip! Didn't come off, but it sure gave me a fright. I think the fact that I always take it easy while the bike is warming up helps to avoid those cold tyre slides.

Bike
    Honda CBR 600, Harley 1200 Custom
    I've never noticed anything unusual with new tyres, but then again I never normally ride that hard anyway, and usually take it easy on new tyres - just because, why take the risk

I think the key is that the tyres need to be warm. "Outside the shop" implies "cold" as I doubt they use tyre warmers . 10 Ks ought to do it .

I recall following someone else on a ride one night back in the day. He was a bit slow getting ready, so my bike was well warmed up by the time we left. With a warmed up bike, I gave it a bit more herbs on the first corner than I usually would with a cold bike. Man did I find out what a difference a few Ks of warm up riding make to your grip! Didn't come off, but it sure gave me a fright. I think the fact that I always take it easy while the bike is warming up helps to avoid those cold tyre slides.
    When ever I begin a ride, I think, cold tyres, cold engine and cold brain. That way I am settling in for the ride as my bike does.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by james.g.gibbs View Post
    Love the pics and hope to see it in the flesh soon.

By the way, you have started a new name. What have you done under the old one? Banned? Or should we not ask?

Bike

Going for a Pootle out to Maraetai this avo

If anyone is interested in joining in on a pootle out to Maraetai, I am leaving the Z service station on the Corner of Great South Road and Alfriston Road in MANUREWA at 2 pm. Please note that it is NOT the usual place we gather on a Tuesday evening.

I hope I have made it clear enough where the start is . Or I could see you out there. I might be a bit grumpy until I get a coffee.

Bike
    Slow one
    No new name , just set up my tap a talk thing and now I'm stuck with it round the wrong way . And yeah I'm trying to make it to this week's meet up .

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Sis View Post
    If anyone is interested in joining in on a pootle out to Maraetai, I am leaving the Z service station on the Corner of Great South Road and Alfriston Road in MANUREWA at 2 pm. Please note that it is NOT the usual place we gather on a Tuesday evening.

I hope I have made it clear enough where the start is . Or I could see you out there. I might be a bit grumpy until I get a coffee.
    Would love to but very tired from a big ride yesterday and getting over the cold. Have a fun ride!

Thread Information