Thread: Project XR250

Bike
    2008 Yamaha YZ250

Project XR250

Just picked up a '95 XR250... Almost new supertrap muffler, brand new .5 over piston and bore and hone.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=266846997
    From what I understand all it needs to run is re-assembly.

Looks rough, but should tidy up quite well. The guy spraypainted the frame so will be taking that apart to do properly.
    One fork is hosing out oil, so seals will need doing.

I know nothing about 4 strokes, part of the reason I bought it... so if anyone could give any advice about things to check and do that would be great
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00089.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	625.6 KB 
ID:	192195  

Bike
    2002 YZ426F and 1982 xr 100
    PROBABLY the best bet would be to check out the HONDA XR 250-400 Forum on thumpertalk ,,you should be able to find anything you want on there
    if you think life is 2 short , get a taller one
    Fatboy Racing
    yamahawk racing enterprizes
    IM DAM SEXY racing

Bike
    hopefully bringing something back to NZ
    what do you want to know built a few of these may even have a manual for one some place. It looks like its only a top end rebuild pretty straight forward it all dot marked to line up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIG

Bike
    Husky Terra 650
    Speaking as an ex XR 250 pilot my advice would be to get a shovel and dig a bloody great hole. Then i'd put the bike in it, cover it over and forget about it. Then I would go and spend all my hard earned cash and buy the latest model bike that I could -prefferably a two stroker.:-)

These bikes were great in their day but times have moved on.....unless this is some kind of restoration project. I think I still have my '96 manual somewhere and maybe even a few accessories

Bike
    2008 Yamaha YZ250
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithf View Post
    Speaking as an ex XR 250 pilot my advice would be to get a shovel and dig a bloody great hole. Then i'd put the bike in it, cover it over and forget about it. Then I would go and spend all my hard earned cash and buy the latest model bike that I could -prefferably a two stroker.:-)

These bikes were great in their day but times have moved on.....unless this is some kind of restoration project. I think I still have my '96 manual somewhere and maybe even a few accessories
    haha nah im hardly gonna trade my yz for this... its more of a project bike to get looking respectable and running well, then ill prob give it to my old man, who doesn't need the fastest and best handling bike in the world, just something to cruise around the trails with. Plus, I enjoy working on things like this. What accessories do you have? '96 was a big year for the xr's so I doubt much would fit though.

My main question is about the timing - when my gasket kit arrives what do I have to do to get the timing chain and valves etc set up correctly?

Stripped the bike today, time to sandblast and get the frame powdercoated - the guy before me did a hory job with a spray can

as for thumpertalk... that site confuses me... theres way to much shit on there in no particular order

Bike
    Husky Terra 650
    I can't help with the mechanicals-I am a mechanical idiot. I'll see what I can dig out if anything

you guys can sing along to this while you work on the bike......sort of dates me but what the hell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wCubT4Z9LA Actually this the better video

or

Bike
    hopefully bringing something back to NZ
    timing is easy undo the 2 small covers onthe fly wheel case left side turn till the T mark is lined up with the slot (in the top small hole) the cam wheel will have dots on them line them up so across the top from left to right real simple let tensioner go recheck turn motor over couple a turn and recheck then you just need to set valve clearances not sure what they are ment to be of hand sure you could find on line or some one here will know
    [SIGPIC][/SIG

Thread Information