Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ride smoother and safer (and get paid to do it!)

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GOONR View Post
    This must be the best thread I have seen for ages. Nice one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirts View Post
    But a very kind individual pointed me to this thread. Sugilite your posts have now got me focused again, my riding and confidence levels are improved. I thank you for taking the time to post these.
    Thanks for that, glad to be of service. I guess one of the hardest parts for me, was to actually put into words what I've been doing automatically for many years, and to do it with a minimum of techno babble As I've experimented and learned these methods, I've then adapted the approved methods and simply practiced them until I no longer had to "think" about them.

I had 3 styles for bikes (not counting dirt bike styles), race, road and pillion. The smooooth style is pretty much my pillion style, I always ride for my pillion. Now I've retired my old road style, and replaced it with pillion, erm only without the pillion now hehe.

Anyways, my next blurb will be gear changes me thinks.

Bike
    Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    It's all about Smooooooth...
    This is what the big boys tell me time & time again. And they're right. The more time I spend in the saddle, the more it sinks in, the more it makes sense, the more it happens.

Thanks for sharing with us. As a n00bie (about 10 months now), I really appreciate the tips, tricks and advice that the more experienced riders share with me.

Quote Originally Posted by R Sole View Post
    But its more than just looking where you want to go - in a corner, you should look at the "vanishing point"...

...Combine this with rolling smoothly on and off the power, and hanging your body weight off the side too keep your bike as upright as possible, and your traction problems should be reduced.
    That post there is right on the money! Once I figured this out, my cornering started to improve and got a lot better (than it had been). Before I started doing this, I just couldn't work out how everyone was getting around the corners so much faster and easier (read smoother), and I knew it wasn't just a case of bigger bike, better tyres etc.; I knew there was a technique that I wasn't employing yet, and it took me quite a while before I stumbled on it.

So, again, to all the more experienced riders sharing their tips with us n00bs, we really appreciate it!

Bike
    Bicycle
    Interesting how little riders talk about riding skills, when this is a far more important topic than brand of bike / tires etc...
    Smooth is definitely important - and becomes more important nearing the limit of adhesion.
    One technique that I use that people might want to try is when trying to scrub a little speed in left handers is to keep on a little throttle and drag the rear brake. Bikes handle better on the gas and this will tighten its line nicely.
    Anything to stop so many riders crossing the centreline on left handers is worth some practice.

Bike
    BMW R850RT
    Exercises I've used to speed up the learning process:
    1. Since the key of the process is arriving at the corner at a perfect speed, I made up a game for myself, consisting of when approaching an object be it a corner, or catching up to traffic in front...what ever..I would roll off the throttle early, if I had to brake when approaching a corner or a line of traffic, I'd "lose points". Now for goodness sake set a large safety margin!!! I'm not suggesting for a moment, that should you need to brake, that you leave it late. You would be a total Dork or Dorkett if you rear ended a car while trying to "win" your game now wouldn't you?
    I've probably posted this link before, but it compliments the content of this thread

http://the-ride-info.blogspot.co.uk/...-training.html

Bike
    BMW R850RT
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Soul View Post
    But its more than just looking where you want to go - in a corner, you should look at the "vanishing point" - where the center of the road appears to meet the left edge of the road.
    Be wary, though.

http://the-ride-info.blogspot.co.uk/...ring-safe.html

Many of you will be familiar with using the 'limit point' (or 'limit of visibility', or 'vanishing point', chose your preferred term) to help with bend assessment and chossing a safe cornering speed.

However, it's easy on left hand bends to be over-confident and over-estimate your braking distance when cornering.

Take care with 'how' you judge your forward distance on lefts.

Temptation for a lot of people is to look at the far kerb - ie the oncoming lane - you have to use the centre line as the limit of available tarmac.

But even then, if the view of the left side of the road is obscured, your true 'limit' is the left verge, as anything emerging from beyond where you can see will immediately - and profoundly - shorten your stopping distance (especially if it moves across the lane in front of you).

Clear road surface is the key factor when deciding how fast to commit.

Another principle in play here is that you must have your 'escape' plans ready before you enter the turn - if you're driving on the limits of view then you can't afford to spend extra time (and so distance) pondering options.

More

http://the-ride-info.blogspot.co.uk/p/cornering.html

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    Th

Anyways, my next blurb will be gear changes me thinks.
    Video blurb!

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMac View Post
    I've probably posted this link before, but it compliments the content of this thread
    You have, but nice dredge anyway.

Bike
    FZR,Jog,GZ maybe CBR?
    I'm really glad I found this post. It makes sense of everything I have read/been told about. As I have been riding for all of 12 days, I need all the help I can get.

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwifruit View Post
    Video blurb!
    Calling Mr Fruit! (since you maxed out your pm box!)

I've been thinking bout doing just that since I went for one particular ride a few months ago and encountered just about every hazzard known to motorcyclists! I was thinking bout how cool it would of been to have a video of that ride and turn it into a safety movie. As a hazard approches, play a little animation (I'll talk to my son, he a 3d animator) of a bike crashing with a large caption saying along the lines of "That shit gunna fuck you up". then replay the scene pointing out the 1st tell tale signs of the hazzard to look for and a way/s of dealing with it. Stuff it on youtube or somthing. I have a DSLR I can capture road side shots from, and a high def cam recorder, but no on bike camera, and no budget to buy one Any thoughts on this possible project?

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    Calling Mr Fruit! (since you maxed out your pm box!)

I've been thinking bout doing just that since I went for one particular ride a few months ago and encountered just about every hazzard known to motorcyclists! I was thinking bout how cool it would of been to have a video of that ride and turn it into a safety movie. As a hazard approches, play a little animation (I'll talk to my son, he a 3d animator) of a bike crashing with a large caption saying along the lines of "That shit gunna fuck you up". then replay the scene pointing out the 1st tell tale signs of the hazzard to look for and a way/s of dealing with it. Stuff it on youtube or somthing. I have a DSLR I can capture road side shots from, and a high def cam recorder, but no on bike camera, and no budget to buy one Any thoughts on this possible project?
    Kia ora!

My inbox has been full for some years, you can always email me on allan@photorecall.co.nz

I think you'd have a nice way of doing the videos. You can borrow my drift 170HD camera for the on bike stuff

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Thread Information