Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: University study suggests vibrations through helmets may affect hearing

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F

University study suggests vibrations through helmets may affect hearing

Academics at two universities in Bath are studying whether wearing motorcycle helmets can cause hearing damage. Dr Michael Carey and Dr Nigel Holt are studying how much noise is transmitted through the helmet.

Dr Carley said "The noise inside the helmet at the legal speed of 70 mph is higher than the legal limit for noise at work – more than enough to cause serious hearing damage. The issue isn't noisy engines or loud exhausts as you may think. The noise is simply from the airflow over the helmet,” adding that earplugs will not help much with this kind of noise, as it is transferred to the inner ear from the rider’s bones.

Dr Holt added "This isn't about putting people off riding or wearing helmets; it's about finding ways to reduce this damage so that riders can have a better riding experience.
    "We hope the research will provide information which can be used in setting standards for helmets and to help improve helmet and motorcycle design."

The study will commence shortly and is expected to run to the end of the year.
    http://www.motobke.co.uk

Bike
    Loud and hoony
    Yep, no doubt about that. Earplugs help, but they do not work well against low frequency noise...

If you get tinnitus or other hearing damage in the very low registers there's not a lot that can be done to prevent further damage.
    It is preferential to refrain from the utilisation of grandiose verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualisation can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexicological entities. (...such as the word fuck.)

Remember your humanity, and forget the rest. - Joseph Rotblat

Bike
    SF
    Doh. Not good news. Any one on here that have been riding for years and years have tinnitus in spite of earplugs?

Bike
    750 auw
    You will have to speak up.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    I'd have to agree with those dudes. Even using plugz4lugz custom made earplugs, wind noise is still obvious...and loud.

I don't think Arai's side pods on their helmets help either...if I mount my vid cam on the helmet, the sound track is wind noise and wind noise alone...can't even hear the Two Bros can...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Loud and hoony
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    I'd have to agree with those dudes. Even using plugz4lugz custom made earplugs, wind noise is still obvious...and loud.
    One thing that should be held in mind is that when you are wearing earplugs, which efficiently dampen medium-to-high frequency noise, the low frequency wind noise will sound louder.

Just like sitting in a completely quiet environment wearing earplugs and then just humming softly to yourself - it'll sound louder than it is in the absence of other noise.
    It is preferential to refrain from the utilisation of grandiose verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualisation can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexicological entities. (...such as the word fuck.)

Remember your humanity, and forget the rest. - Joseph Rotblat

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    I have to be very careful with my hearing, as I mistreated it for some years with loud music - particularly very loud sub-bass. If I ride more than 20 minutes without hearing protection the tinitus returns with a vengence and I hear distant sub-bass all night.

I use in-ear roll-up plugs and I have no problems when used correctly. No tinitus! In fact I have not had a tinitus episode for some months. That puts them in the "good enough for me" category.

Roll up earplugs have to be rolled very tightly, lubricated, and then inserted quite deeply and then held there, or else they just don't work. Sometimes they can be quite tricky to fish them out.

Tinitus is like an unwanted cigarette smoking addiction - once you have it you will wish you didn't, and before long you will wish you didn't A LOT. Don't be an arse with your hearing.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Studies like this have been done before. Check out:
    http://www.seabrookaudiology.co.uk/plugs.htm

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    Studies like this have been done before. Check out:
    http://www.seabrookaudiology.co.uk/plugs.htm
    Oddly enough, the same research material I referenced when I tested the Howard Leight Laser Lite earplugs

I've been a convert ever since - I will admit if I'm not expecting to be able to up the pace for more than a few minutes, I don't always put them in, but I'm thinking of making them a necessity on every ride. I've got friends who have problems with certain frequencies... and I don't want to add to their ranks.
    http://www.motobke.co.uk

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I've got friends who have problems with certain frequencies... and I don't want to add to their ranks.
    I can tell you, that its very frustrating not being able to understand your daughter. Dunno if thats an ear thing or a girl thing though.. I thought it was me..

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    I can tell you, that its very frustrating not being able to understand your daughter. Dunno if thats an ear thing or a girl thing though.. I thought it was me..

Steve
    Nobody I knew has ever understood their daughter DB...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Quote Originally Posted by steve_t View Post
    Any one on here that have been riding for years and years have tinnitus in spite of earplugs?
    Yes,and now I have two hearing aids.But it's my high frequency hearing that is damaged.Tinnitus,wind noise....it's all the same to me.

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Oddly enough, the same research material I referenced when I tested the Howard Leight Laser Lite earplugs

I've been a convert ever since - I will admit if I'm not expecting to be able to up the pace for more than a few minutes, I don't always put them in, but I'm thinking of making them a necessity on every ride. I've got friends who have problems with certain frequencies... and I don't want to add to their ranks.
    After reading that research I now wear ear plugs 90% of the time when riding. Only takes 30s to 60s to put in.

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville
    Always bung in the ear plugs. Makes a hell of a difference and allows you to concentrate more on what you need to whilst reducing the apparent fatigue.

Bike
    Ducati V4S Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I have two hearing aids, the left ipod earpiece and the right...........

Thread Information