Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My GSX1100

Bike
    1989ZXR400,GSX1100 & PW50
    Katman,I have hit a wee bit of a hitch with the carbs,Suzuki NZ cant supply jet needles & slides,as are no longer available
    On your wire wheeler,aare the carbs a set of VM32SS with ID code 49320 stamped on the body??

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Can't tell from the photo Barry - have you got the two inner header pipes silver chromed?
    "The road to Hell is really grippy with loads of run off & some wicked lefthanders"

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by bistard View Post
    Yes,I also am alittle unclear as to what bike Robert was on,I thought it might have been a McIntosh,but what ever it was,It was running Methanol & I have scored the carbs,so just waiting on some float needles & seats & then fit them & modify the fuel tank tap location
    Merv has posted some photos,from that year,there s a photo of a bike with number 4 on it,is that Robert or Bob??
    Gidday Barry, just stumbled on this thread. Ask Dundoon, I remember they had a Katana on Methanol around that time. I recall it was something Steve was fiddling with and was fairly stock apart from compression and the meth . I remember chatting to Robert and Steve about it at manfeild, it was very fast. Gaz.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by bistard View Post
    Katman,I have hit a wee bit of a hitch with the carbs,Suzuki NZ cant supply jet needles & slides,as are no longer available
    On your wire wheeler,aare the carbs a set of VM32SS with ID code 49320 stamped on the body??
    Yes they are.

Bike
    I sold it
    I just stumbled on this thread too lol Im must be stalking gazza.
    Didnt Rob have a few Demo laps of Llyall Bay on the PF bike in 83 / 84 and only raced it the next year after Hissy ?? .

I have pis in my album of 1984/85 Brut 33 / Countrywide at Gracefield and the Morowaki bikes with the flash transporter were there then on the CBX750 based bikes. They were overheating so had to run Gracefield with lower fairing removed to stop overheating. It was Yatsushira using Y and letter H whose name i forget. There was also # 7 , a red bike that may have been Norris Farrow he was quite fast too. beating Freeth in one race but Rob got all of them i think.
    Rob H on the Pro sponsored Yellow / white bike was wearing #1 , Freeth # 2 on the CRC Mckintosh and Paul Iddon was on the Rg500 with letter I . Rob also rode the Rg250 with #1 on it , GSX550 and may have been another but i dont remember.
    Jim Ashcroft debuted his rear engined Kwaka sidecar Z1000j powered , and there was the (i think ) German on a Rg500 wearing letter K and he did crap with the kerbs intimidating him lots.
    I had my Gracefield debut in what i thought was 83 and i didnt race in 84 so i am guessing thats why i got so many pics of the meeting.
    Maybe my dates are all wrong.
    I loved Gracefield track and the CB 455 went well there thats for sure.

Paul.

Bike
    Hey Paul,you are showing your age,me old mate
    I was there at Gracfeild when the Morowaki bikes were here,Warren has a photo of turn one from that era,with Rob Phillis,Norris Farrow,Dave Hiscok,Stu Avant etc,all pealing off through turn one

Quote Originally Posted by roadracingoldfart View Post
    Didnt Rob have a few Demo laps of Llyall Bay on the PF bike in 83 / 84 and only raced it the next year after Hissy ?? .

I have pis in my album of 1984/85 Brut 33 / Countrywide at Gracefield and the Morowaki bikes with the flash transporter were there then on the CBX750 based bikes. They were overheating so had to run Gracefield with lower fairing removed to stop overheating. It was Yatsushira using Y and letter H whose name i forget. There was also # 7 , a red bike that may have been Norris Farrow he was quite fast too. beating Freeth in one race but Rob got all of them i think.
    Rob H on the Pro sponsored Yellow / white bike was wearing #1 , Freeth # 2 on the CRC Mckintosh and Paul Iddon was on the Rg500 with letter I . Rob also rode the Rg250 with #1 on it , GSX550 and may have been another but i dont remember.
    Jim Ashcroft debuted his rear engined Kwaka sidecar Z1000j powered , and there was the (i think ) German on a Rg500 wearing letter K and he did crap with the kerbs intimidating him lots.
    I had my Gracefield debut in what i thought was 83 and i didnt race in 84 so i am guessing thats why i got so many pics of the meeting.

Paul.
    "The road to Hell is really grippy with loads of run off & some wicked lefthanders"

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L

Paul.
    Go back to my post #36 on this thread and I gave you the link where I had put the '83 Gracefield photos up - Hiscock was on the PF and racing hard against Phillis on the Kat and Robert was on the ali bike number 4.

Then if you go to this thread http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...php/1464-R.I.P.? that is the '84 Lyall Bay meeting when Robert demoed the PF. After that he rode it in anger winning a lot on it so you will be right about the 84/85 Gracefield with him on it. I can't have been in Wellington the right time that summer because I don't have any pics of that year so can't help you any further on that.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    Go back to my post #36 on this thread and I gave you the link where I had put the '83 Gracefield photos up - Hiscock was on the PF and racing hard against Phillis on the Kat and Robert was on the ali bike number 4.
    Bike number 4 would indeed have been Holden but he would've been on the McIntosh GS1000R not the alloy bike

Bike
    suzuki
    there was no formula one class at Lyall bay, track wasn't deemed fit for them

I have pis in my album of 1984/85 Brut 33 / Countrywide at Gracefield and the Morowaki bikes with the flash transporter were there then on the CBX750 based bikes. They were overheating so had to run Gracefield with lower fairing removed to stop overheating. It was Yatsushira using Y and letter H whose name i forget. H Hikaru Miyagi Y Syuji YatsushiroThere was also # 7 , a red bike that may have been Norris Farrow he was quite fast too. beating Freeth in one race but Rob got all of them i think. think you'll find the Plastic Fantastic had gearbox issues in the second race and Holden finished but well down the field, he borrowed Kevin Maxwells Alloy bike for the last race to get the points and win the series. I can remember the Wgton MC team even changing his number while the bikes were on the grid, after their warm up lap, I was just fascinated with their proffesionalism
    Jim Ashcroft debuted his rear engined Kwaka sidecar Z1000j powered , and there was the (i think ) German on a Rg500 wearing letter K and he did crap with the kerbs intimidating him lots.K was hans klingebeil

Paul.
    notes in quoted text

Bike
    I sold it
    Your correct Barry , i think i am getting a bit old so have decided to stop counting now as we dont have enough fingers and toes in the house to tally it up.

I will try to attain a level of techanogical expertese and scan and post the pics i have of the meeting. i am interested to know who the # 7 was as in one pic he is leading both Rob and Dr Freeth.

Gracefield has always been a fav of mine as it was my first ever race meet and it was down to Rob getting me started. I passed him one day on the Rimutaka GP on the outside and he asked me how long i had been racing , my answer was of course i just got the bike 2 months ago and it was alot faster than my AG 100 was so i enjoyed the speed. He and Jo-anne cracked up and couldnt believe what i just said lol.
    He gave me the forms to join VUMCC and and all the forms fo the ACU licence. The rest as they say is history.
    Rob always used to call and say hi when i was working at Schrodoco in Welly and i naturally always gave him a very good price on anything he needed for the bikes or whatever. He and Dick Huurdamen(sp) were always playing with something that needed bits and bobs. I have always tried to base my racing on the words of wisdom he gave me in the beginning and the photo i have of him from the funeral will always be front page in the historical racing album. I used to contact him at times when he was being assisted by Grant Vinten as i lived just around the corner and i was working at Sawyers then too .
    RIP mate , and thanks. I hope i did you proud, i certainly tried my best which is what you told me to do.

Paul.

Bike
    suzuki
    i am interested to know who the # 7 was as in one pic he is leading both Rob and Dr Freeth.

RIP mate , and thanks. I hope i did you proud, i certainly tried my best which is what you told me to do.

Paul.
    7 will have been norris farrow on the other plastic fantastic with the 16inch front wheel

16 years on monday since Robert Holden met his maker...

Bike
    xr1200hd,99 dyna + choppers
    FUCK I MISS THAT GOOD BASTARD still have the tshirt that he brought back for me from daytona in 96,the man died to young still miss him, will tip one down me throat on monday R.I.P

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Big evil beasts that went like stink.

I knew a guy who had one decades ago with a 4-1 filled with scrunched up chicken wire as a baffle - did not shut it up much!

Bike
    I have searched all over the world for these slides & needles,finally have a solution,I am having slides & needles made,from someone right here on KB,so here is hoping I can finally get the carbs fitted & the bike running right

Bike
    Hey Spyda,I have now scored a set of genuine Black Piper Cams,so the wee project is coming together nicely

Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    7 will have been norris farrow on the other plastic fantastic with the 16inch front wheel

16 years on monday since Robert Holden met his maker...

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R

Thread Information