Page 2 of 229 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: British Leyland

Wow,you have a Wolseley 18/85! Just an Austin 1800 of course,just a bit tarted up.They had powersteering,which they didn't need,and made them a bit tighter under the bonnet.They were one of the first cars to have radial tyres fitted as standard.I've had a couple of 1800's...or more.They really handle well on the open road (no body roll) and the hydrolastics give the best ride ever on rutted gravel roads.My 1st one was a '65,the very first model with crash 1st gear.The fuel pump used to cut out,and I would fire it up again with a flick of the key....but sometimes it would stop at the lights.My other one was a MkI too,but I fitted a lot of MkII parts from a MkII I stole....well,I didn't know I had stolen an abandoned vehicle,but I didn't give it back either.We had a ute at one place I worked,they were on crossplies,and had massive understeer - but I still managed to 180 it a couple of times.

Bike
    ZZR1100 D7
    I had one of these. A Rover SD1 V8. One of Leylands finest I reckon. Mine was a Nelson one. That meant cloth insted of leather and no Efi. But it was a very tunable motor and mine wasn't standard for long.

I got mine from a dealer and on the test drive he stuck it at 180 indicated on the then incomplete south western motorway. It just stayed there without any fuss. Then he took his hands off the wheel. And it tracked straight and true. I pretty much bought it there and then.

Being a pommie car it had its faults. The worst was that when it rained like it does in Auckland the 2 glove boxes used to fill up with water. I learned to keep my stuff in ziplock bags.

I kept it for 15 years and was never off the road for more than 24 hours in that time. Apart from when an Indian backed over it in a Land Cruiser.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gmoreton2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	195882  

Bike
    2008, Suzuki 750 Katana
    I had one of these

The previous owner had squeezed a 3L engine into it which leaked alarming amounts of petrol (never caught fire though). No other upgrading had been done, brakes suspension etc
    It went very fast, and didn't appear to care which way the wheels were pointing. It was an independent soul that chose it's own path. Although it used to scare me a lot I did have a huge amount of respect for a car that could apparently kill at will but managed to restrain it's 'Christine' tendencies (at least while I was present). But the best bit was the maneuverability and velour covering of the seats making it a superior shagging wagon
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

The 6 cyl SD1 was a true unicam,unlike the Honda unicam which uses 4 lobes.The Rover engine had a single cam lobe for each cyl,doing both inlet and exhaust valves.I onced worked at a Rover agent and got to work on a fair few SD1's,they were interesting - but not a real Rover.

Bike
    1990 Yamaha Virago XV1100
    Aah, sweet memories. I've had a few BL cars in the misty past, and still have a soft spot for their idiosyncratic bloody-minded designs and engineering.

Ah yes, the Marina gearbox. I spent most of my early 20s underneath my Marina.

Now, who can tell me - which BL car was renowned for being more aerodynamic when going backwards than forwards...?
    Can I believe the magic of your size... (The Shirelles)

Bike
    ZZR1100 D7
    Quote Originally Posted by KiWiP View Post
    I had one of these

The previous owner had squeezed a 3L engine into it which leaked alarming amounts of petrol (never caught fire though). No other upgrading had been done, brakes suspension etc
    It went very fast, and didn't appear to care which way the wheels were pointing. It was an independent soul that chose it's own path. Although it used to scare me a lot I did have a huge amount of respect for a car that could apparently kill at will but managed to restrain it's 'Christine' tendencies (at least while I was present). But the best bit was the maneuverability and velour covering of the seats making it a superior shagging wagon
    Could it have been the Leyland Marina Six running the E-series 2600cc? If so it would be worth a fortune 'cos there are not a lot of them around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Marina
    Last edited by Virago; 11th February 2010 at 22:16. Reason: Quoted image removed

Bike
    1990 Yamaha Virago XV1100
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiana_Jones View Post
    I own one of these...
    Very pretty. Now show us a photo of your one...
    Can I believe the magic of your size... (The Shirelles)

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Virago View Post
    Very pretty. Now show us a photo of your one...

Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    Wow,you have a Wolseley 18/85! Just an Austin 1800 of course,just a bit tarted up.They had powersteering,which they didn't need,and made them a bit tighter under the bonnet.They were one of the first cars to have radial tyres fitted as standard.I've had a couple of 1800's...or more.They really handle well on the open road (no body roll) and the hydrolastics give the best ride ever on rutted gravel roads.
    Yea, pretty much the same thing, just the tail lights and pig-nose grill are the main differences to see.

I donno if mine has power steering, was it an option or standard? cause it sure as hell doesn't feel like it has it!

Also mine is an 18/85s which came with the twin carbs stock, but a previous owner has removed the twins and put in a slightly bigger single carb.

-Indy
    Hey, kids! Captain Hero here with Getting Laid Tip 213 - The Backrub Buddy!

Find a chick who’s just been dumped and comfort her by massaging her shoulders, and soon, she’ll be massaging your prostate.

Bike
    Various
    First class travel.....

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    All this P76 talk and no-one has mentioned the Force 7. So I did. Not all of them ended up in the crusher after the design was abandoned.

Name:	force 7.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	195949  
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Various
    Those were the days:

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    All this P76 talk and no-one has mentioned the Force 7. So I did. Not all of them ended up in the crusher after the design was abandoned.
    Try and find one now! I remember the magazine reports on it and at the time I thought it was about the coolest thing on the road! So many were disappointed it didn't go ahead!
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    2013 Multistrada
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    There were quite a few force 7v's that made it out of the assembly line, none made it here although rumour had it they nearly did but got dumped in some large landfill in Wellington, the real trick would have been to own the station wagon, only the prototype survived.
    Its not the destination that is important its the journey.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by Virago View Post
    Now, who can tell me - which BL car was renowned for being more aerodynamic when going backwards than forwards...?
    Would that be the Allegro?
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Triumph Sprint ST

Sd1

I had a SD1 5spd. It had worn out SU carbs which I swapped out for a holley 390

Name:	sd1-right.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	195965  

Thread Information