Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surfboard rack?

Bike
    nothing yet

Surfboard rack?

Has anyone put a road legal surfboard rack on their motorbike?

Bike
    None any more
    I took mine off because I was too tall and kept banging my head on the board.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by big guy View Post
    My mate John (who rides a Scrambler also) has carried his surf board and snow board on the bike. Living in the Waikato, he rides to Ruapehu in winter, (bloody keen man) with the snow board and out to Raglan with the surf board.
    So it is indeed possible. Next time he calls in, I'll hassle him for info, and try and get some pics of his set up.

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    I'd thought of a trailer. Maybe a couple of bicycle wheels and a long drawbar with the towball mounted behind the pillion seat. Mind, I haven't looked into the overall length regulations and the cost of registration. I've got a 10' malibu, so I'd probably need at least a six foot long drawbar.

Once saw a guy in Sydney cycling to the beach with his surfboard mounted on a rack which hung out to one side of his pushbike, his leg pedalled inside the rack and surfboard. Wouldn't work on a m/bike though.

Bike
    2003,Kawasaki ZX-9R
    Quote Originally Posted by big guy View Post
    Could be fun with a surfboard and some strong wind.

Bike
    Honda
    shortboard or longboard?

Not sure about 'road legal' here but the way we carried shortboards (longest was a 7'10") out to the coast in Indo was to punch a hole in the end of a board bag and tie a shoelace loop through it (the zip end where the fins go not the nose).

Then we'd just wear the board bag (strap over your shoulder) and the shoelace loop over the left handgrip. Board parallel with the bike, nose to the rear. Wear the bag so that the rocker bends into the bike not away from the bike.

Not sure if you'd get away with it back here but it's easy, cheap, and works well.

Bike
    nothing yet
    yeah that sounds like the one, road code allows it as long as not 500mm from centre of bike. I seen these racks that they sell in the states http://www.industrysearch.com.au/Pro...rd-Racks-22569

Bike
    Honda
    they look more pro than a shoelace tie... cool

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Steve View Post
    Once saw a guy in Sydney cycling to the beach with his surfboard mounted on a rack which hung out to one side of his pushbike, his leg pedalled inside the rack and surfboard. Wouldn't work on a m/bike though.
    No?
    I saw two guys on motorbikes a couple of years ago, and one or both had just such a rack. I was kinda gobsmacked, as there was a fairly aggressive crosswind, but they were coping OK.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2010 Hyosung GT250N
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Steve View Post
    I know a guy who has a rig up like that on an old Suzuki 250 (I think). Saw him on the way back from the beach with it a couple of days ago. It looked a bit iffy, mind you, he only lives about half a mile from the beach!

Bike
    Vespa GT200, LML Vespa 130, Honda NXR125
    I saw a bloke cruising through town on a GN250 with something similar to these tagged on the side...

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    goes like a whore on P

Bike
    nothing yet
    Sweet all things are possible

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Geez, that second one in UberRhys's post looks dangerous and would probably be illegal here in NZ. Look at those fins, talk about a mobile pedestrian cutter. You'd at least want to hang the fins inwards wouldn't you? And I doubt if it is less than 500mm from the centreline of the bike, as allowed here.

But an interesting starting point, I would suggest hanging ii on the right hand side rather than on the left as on the scooter, it would make mounting a proper bike easier, you'd just have to drop your right leg down into the gap between the bike and the board.

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    have a talk to the guys at Deus Ex.
    i know in Aussie they put some racks on bikes so they might know about something here.

Bike
    Can Am Spyder RS. 2010
    Cut a couple of slots for the wheels, a pair of stretchie straps over your shoulders and just ride it there.

Thread Information