How was the fuel consumption?
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Quote Originally Posted by dino3310 View Post
    cool write up.
    How was the fuel consumption?
    Fuel consumption was oustanding! I averaged 21.1 Klms per litre which on both tanks 26 ltrs (12ltr stock and 14ltr safari) gave me a range of 548.6klm.

Compared to Jimbo's 9fiddy of about 14-15 klm per ltr on 22lt tank is about 319klm.

Bike
    silly green dirt bike..........DOH
    Blog Entries
    once you have loaded up the new bike, with all the new goodies, full of fuel and luggage,
    how would you compare the weight and handling to the 990.

JMJ
    I FEEL THE NEED, THE NEED FOR SPEED
    my ride picshttp://picasaweb.google.com/sueycarter
    other ride pics http://picasaweb.google.com/113645336286831595353

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    Fuel consumption was oustanding! I averaged 21.1 Klms per litre which on both tanks 26 ltrs (12ltr stock and 14ltr safari) gave me a range of 548.6klm.

Compared to Jimbo's 9fiddy of about 14-15 klm per ltr on 22lt tank is about 319klm.
    wow thats pretty awesome bro...

now where can i scrape up 15k to get me one
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Quote Originally Posted by junkmanjoe View Post
    once you have loaded up the new bike, with all the new goodies,, how would you compare the weight and handling to the 990.

JMJ
    Hey Joe...why does that expresion remind me of the sixties?....the reason I embarked on this project was I needed a lighter more agile bike.

So far the 690 has met both these criteria exceptionally. The best comparison I can give is, it feels like half the bike with most of the usable power still available. The handling is light and nimble...these things can turn on a dime! Plus you have a factory slipper clutch that enables you drop her down into any gear without locking up the rear.

Probably the most noticable thing compared to the 990 or Jimbos 950 is the addtional engine breaking. Jim made several comments to me about how late i was breaking into corners compared to how i used to on the 990 (and he was on the 950). For gravel riding this is a HUGE advantage.

When I was looking around I compiled a list of specs from other bikes and put them on a spreadsheet. I have attached a copy below(my first attachmnet hope it works) The numbers (although claimed) speak for themselves. I estimate the completed 690 Adventure will be some 70kgs lighter than the 990 with an almost identical power to weight ratio.

690 vrs the rest..doc

Bike
    91 R80GS
    what setting do you have it set on?

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Glad to hear you are happy with it!

Probably the most noticable thing compared to the 990 or Jimbos 950 is the addtional engine breaking. Jim made several comments to me about how late i was breaking into corners compared to how i used to on the 990 (and he was on the 950). For gravel riding this is a HUGE advantage.
    No doubt the 70kg less weight helps with the late braking thing, and the flickability.

When I was looking around I compiled a list of specs from other bikes and put them on a spreadsheet. I have attached a copy below(my first attachmnet hope it works) The numbers (although claimed) speak for themselves. I estimate the completed 690 Adventure will be some 70kgs lighter than the 990 with an almost identical power to weight ratio.
    KTM normally quotes half-dry not dry weights. The 640A comes in pretty much the same as the DR650 dry, and 176kg gross. This also applies to the 690E and 530EXC, so their gross weight is only the extra 737g/L of fuel.

I felt the same thing with the 950 when I was shopping for my 640. Sure the big mutha had more grunt outright, but for solo running the performance felt fairly similar. However the 640 is ~50 kg lighter which counts when you are chucking it around for any length of time, and/or picking it up off the ground. And the bigger bike costs more to buy and run.

Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    what setting do you have it set on?
    KTMs go to 11.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    690 vrs the rest..doc

The KW readings are at the crank?

I thought the stock 690 was strangled off the bottom.
    The exhaust and re-map changes this?

Bike
    08 KTM 690e
    KTMs go to 11.[/QUOTE]

From what I understand settings from3-11 there isn't a lot of difference. Between settings 1,2 & 3 it's night and day. In the weekend Oscar was surprised at the change from 2 -3.
    DW.

Bike
    91 R80GS
    OK I thought the first 3 settings were all that were used?

Bike
    08 KTM 690e
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    OK I thought the first 3 settings were all that were used?
    That's right, because of the lack of difference in the settings 3 & upwards

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    I used setting 3 because it was the best for all surfaces (general setting). also cos I was tooo lazy to lift the seat every time I wanted to change it. On that subject....does anyone have any info on extending the stock cable (two wires) so that the control dial can be relocated on my yet to be built dashboard? I already know about the Leo Vince switch for the handle bars but am not interested in it...or the $172.00 they want for it.

The chaps at Triple X Moto Sales in Aukland have a nice map they can install called the "open race map". Once the open map is installed there is no need for a switch as the map removes the restrictor in 1st and 2nd gear. Only a few KTM dealers have access to it but might be worth a road trip one day??

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc

My Dashboard

The product of nothing to do one afternoon. Below is a mock-up drawing of what My dash might look like.

Here's a question for you....What would you put on/leave off your dashboard?

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    The product of nothing to do one afternoon. Below is a mock-up drawing of what My dash might look like.

Here's a question for you....What would you put on/leave off your dashboard
    Have you got hot grips? A spot for the switch/controller if you put some on in future is one thing to think about. Also a way to mount up a lunchbox route sheet holder.
    Dunno about the 690 but I would expect it is the same as the 640 & has pretty light wiring. I've run a fused heavier feed up from the battery to feed the hot grips & headlight/spotlight via relays. If I was building a dash setup I would try & fit in a block of fused relays for the gadgets, ideally easily accessable under a cover or something.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc

Look what the postie droped off!!

At last the long awaited Front Fairing has arrived.

I must say that I am impressed with the quality and although the colour on the photo's dosn't show it...it matches the KTM orange perfectly.

First thing I'll be doing is cutting out a cardboard template for the dash before cutting out the 1.6mm Aluminium sheet. I hope to fit the speedo, GPS, ignition switch and a 12v adapt into the dash to start with.

I have "losely" figured out how I will mount the fairing to the bike (without any welding). The after market nave tower wasn't quite what I wanted (plus I was too tight to fork out another $400.00 Aussie for it) because it is really made for hardcore enduro set ups whereas my needs are a bit more sedate on the adventure.

Anywayzz I'd better get cracking....I got a busy weekend ahead of me!!

Thread Information