Thread: Looking to install an alarm

Bike
    Honda CBR250RR, Sach's MADASS 125
    Blog Entries

Looking to install an alarm

Got me a shiny Crimestoppers RFID tag based alarm system the other day. Nice unit.

But who can install it?

Does anyone know of anyone who can install it in Christchurch?
    I'm not afraid to have a crack at it but i simply do not have the time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks
    "Speed has never killed anyone!.... Suddenly becoming stationary, That's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson, Season 3 Topgear

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    I bought one of those, but it had no shock sensor. No shock sensor means grippers can smash the keyswitch off and wheel the bike away without the "alarm" sounding.

Where did you get that one from? How much was it?

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Looked at a digital tilt sensor for it today (240$ from Pauls car audio), otherwise yea, its probably the exact same.
    Triple immobilizer, rfid tag keyfob thing, 89$ from a Friendly chap off RetardMe
    "Speed has never killed anyone!.... Suddenly becoming stationary, That's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson, Season 3 Topgear

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Yep, sounds the same as my one. Anyone else want one of these? I dont want it. I want an ALARM.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."

Bike
    "Looked at a digital tilt sensor for it today (240$ from Pauls car audio)" W T F ??? that thing had better make toast and a cuppa as well.

does the alarm have any extra inputs , or what are it's current inputs to detect a possible theft?
    if it has an input that will set off the alarm when the input either gets or stops getting a signal, you can add tilt sensor very cheaply:

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView....y&form=KEYWORD

and a tilt sensor on a bike is a pretty accurate way of detecting that someone is dicking with your ride.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by allun View Post
    does the alarm have any extra inputs , or what are it's current inputs to detect a possible theft? if it has an input that will set off the alarm when the input either gets or stops getting a signal, you can add tilt sensor very cheaply:

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView....y&form=KEYWORD

and a tilt sensor on a bike is a pretty accurate way of detecting that someone is dicking with your ride.
    Hrm that mercury tilt sensor might just work. I'm gunna try it - thanks for posting that.

It can use the "door" circuit on the immobiliser unit, and the bikes' horn as an alarm.

Steve

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Yea, it is a pretty minimalist alarm but i think they're great. RFID tags are so very secure and no batteries, no buttons and waterproof completely.

Will look into that tilt sensor too.

be warned tho, mercury tilt sensors are inaccurate and have heard many a false positive from other owners of such -_-

Would like a digital one ideally.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by .produKt View Post
    be warned tho, mercury tilt sensors are inaccurate and have heard many a false positive from other owners of such -_- Would like a digital one ideally.
    Yeah mate I don't have much hope actually, but it wont cost much to find out.

Steve

Bike
    05 iHornet 900
    My son put one of these on from JayCar .. seems to do the trick
    http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView....m&form=KEYWORD

Bike
    produKt and DangerousBastard -

I'd be interested in any issues you have had in the past or may have in future with the tilt switches, I have used them to roll my own bike alarms several times in the past, and never had a problem once I installed them properly.

The trick is finding a position where IGNITION OFF + TILTED means the most likely thing is someone messing with your ride. This is fairly easy on most bikes, just mount the sensor so that it is active when the bike is upright, and inactive when it is on the sidestand. position it so that the bike has to be completely upright before it activates, not just a hair's breadth up from the sidestand, and you should never get a false positive.

If you want to go really nuts on removing false posi's - AND the tilt sensor with the brake or clutch or ignition switches, i.e. think about what you decide constitutes someone stealing your bike - tilt sensor saying it's not on the stand anymore AND clutch pulled in? Tilt sensor AND brake pedal/lever pressed? There are many scenarios, that's just 2 - with a bit of kiwi ingenuity you could have soemthing very functional for less than the cost of this "digital tilt sensor" which I am quite suspicious of, btw.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    @warr, great link thanks.

@allun, great tips, many thanks.

Will get this tilt switch and report back.

Steve

Thread Information