Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23

Thread: Pre-72: What happened?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    20th January 2008 - 17:29
    Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Location
    Auckland NZ's Epicentre
    Posts
    3,513
    The pre October 72 rule seems to have exclusions and inclusions. No Kawasaki Z1's and RD's despite them being around in 1972, yet if a model went unchanged like the Honda 750/4 its included.

    Some of us run post 72 bikes in the CMCRR races but would like to run in the Posties, however the power difference between late 70's Japanese multis and bikes that lingered from the late 60's into the late 70's are totally outclassed.
    Perhaps its time the inclusions and exclusion were reviewed and clarified.
    For example, Norton Commandos, BMW twins, Triumph T140s and probably many others.
    Any thoughts?
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    13th June 2010 - 17:47
    Bike
    Exercycle
    Location
    Out in the cold
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    The pre October 72 rule seems to have exclusions and inclusions. No Kawasaki Z1's and RD's despite them being around in 1972, yet if a model went unchanged like the Honda 750/4 its included.

    Some of us run post 72 bikes in the CMCRR races but would like to run in the Posties, however the power difference between late 70's Japanese multis and bikes that lingered from the late 60's into the late 70's are totally outclassed.
    Perhaps its time the inclusions and exclusion were reviewed and clarified.
    For example, Norton Commandos, BMW twins, Triumph T140s and probably many others.
    Any thoughts?
    Lets be clear about this, it's a North island problem caused by two groups having overlapping eligibility periods. If the register had stuck to what is in the rulebook and PCRA had encouraged pre 72 harder I doubt you'd be sounding this out.
    I hear there may be changes in the works - coming from NZPCRA - to include later bikes.
    I for one will look very hard at any proposed changes as the fleet of yellow Nortons from Wgtn to quote one example, are capable of winning on street circuits at least one age group up and possibly two....
    At least in the SI it's not a broken class and IMO doesn't need fixing.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    20th January 2008 - 17:29
    Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Location
    Auckland NZ's Epicentre
    Posts
    3,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Lets be clear about this, it's a North island problem caused by two groups having overlapping eligibility periods. If the register had stuck to what is in the rulebook and PCRA had encouraged pre 72 harder I doubt you'd be sounding this out.
    I hear there may be changes in the works - coming from NZPCRA - to include later bikes.
    I for one will look very hard at any proposed changes as the fleet of yellow Nortons from Wgtn to quote one example, are capable of winning on street circuits at least one age group up and possibly two....
    At least in the SI it's not a broken class and IMO doesn't need fixing.
    Maybe I did not phase the question well enough.
    the pre 72 rule is October 1972, but there are exclusions and exceptions.
    The one mentioned in the quoted MNZ rules is the CB 750/4. What other bikes would you concider fits into this exemption.
    Yes the NI does seem to have issues on agreeing, what they do agree on that they cannot run a meet at Hampton Downs by themselves.
    cheers
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    13th June 2010 - 17:47
    Bike
    Exercycle
    Location
    Out in the cold
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Maybe I did not phase the question well enough.
    the pre 72 rule is October 1972, but there are exclusions and exceptions.
    The one mentioned in the quoted MNZ rules is the CB 750/4. What other bikes would you concider fits into this exemption.
    Yes the NI does seem to have issues on agreeing, what they do agree on that they cannot run a meet at Hampton Downs by themselves.
    cheers
    I've got no problem with the wording of the "grandfathering" clause letting machinery later but not updated into the class.

    I'd also be tempted to allow Z1's too but wiith the proviso they be original capacity (903cc) and on 19/18inch wheels, and original calipers.....that would save a lot of $$ over the bigbores and 17in wheels. TZ's - never, too easy to upgrade. RD's maybe with original pipes....

  5. #20
    Join Date
    20th January 2008 - 17:29
    Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Location
    Auckland NZ's Epicentre
    Posts
    3,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I've got no problem with the wording of the "grandfathering" clause letting machinery later but not updated into the class.

    I'd also be tempted to allow Z1's too but wiith the proviso they be original capacity (903cc) and on 19/18inch wheels, and original calipers.....that would save a lot of $$ over the bigbores and 17in wheels. TZ's - never, too easy to upgrade. RD's maybe with original pipes....
    Any examples of 'Grandfathered" bikes ( I like that expression) that you guys run in the South?
    EG: they are proposing the whole Commando series, would therefore the Moto Guzzi V twins be the same and T140's?
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    15th May 2008 - 19:13
    Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    949
    Dunno what the the whole "North Island" thing is about...then again, it was North Islanders who got off their bums and got some rules into the Rule book in the first place.

    The pre 72 rules in the MNZ rule book, were very much predicated upon a very good, well known set of rules used to very good effect in Aussie, they were proven to have a good Formula with well founded exclusions and overall worked well.

    These exclusions are limited only to Z1, TZ and RD350 and the cut off date was specifically set to exclude those three models as they were (as I understand it) VERY LATE 1972 issue, for the 73 year. But let's look at reality placing those in there where a good zeddie could make 150+ hp (I have stood next an 8 valve Kwaka making 160 on the dyno).

    RD350's were a step ahead of the R5's etc than came before and are very much tied to the mid and not early 70's. TZ's, well, they were a 73 model and a similar effect, decimate everything else in class by allowing them.

    I wouldn't change the exclusions, it works and fits with most of the rest of the world and especially aussie where 3-4 trips each way happen each year.

    The CB750 example, is just that, an example.....the rule cut and paste being...Later versions of the same models released (but not updated) eg Honda 750 K1-K6 may be acceptable as eligible for Pre 72 when competing in a racing class. (bold and Italics are mine).

    So many commando's Tridents, Bonnies and some BMW's, Guzzi's etc fall straight in anyway. The problem is not as big as it seems...and as Grumph and I have previoulsy alluded too, this is under question at present to better align the NZCMRR club only pre 76 into the Nationally (ie MNZ) recognised Pre 72 class.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    20th January 2008 - 17:29
    Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Location
    Auckland NZ's Epicentre
    Posts
    3,513
    It came up at the register AGM and the submitter was told that the process he must follow to make the submission was to go away and get 10 member signatures then present it to the committee.

    There was also mention of taking the pre 76 to 1982 in line with MNZ rules, same thing.
    The members also voted on a new Vice President and allowing the Committee to decide on PCRA attendance at future meetings and there were some graphs on falling entries.

    I was hoping to get some clarification so as to enter my 1973 BMW 900 in the Barry Sheene. Its only $20 to cross enter so I'll just do it and see what happens. Japanese multis have nothing to fear from the Bavarian Tractor
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    13th June 2010 - 17:47
    Bike
    Exercycle
    Location
    Out in the cold
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post

    I was hoping to get some clarification so as to enter my 1973 BMW 900 in the Barry Sheene. Its only $20 to cross enter so I'll just do it and see what happens. Japanese multis have nothing to fear from the Bavarian Tractor
    Put 750 badges on it......

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •