Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-72: What happened?

Bike
    Twin

Pre-72: What happened?

Pre 72 , What Happened! Didn`t pre72 use to have it`s own races. Why so few competitors ?

Bike
    Honda CB350
    Youré not the only one wondering what happened. I have been racing pre 72 Junior for 5 years now. When I first started 6 to 10 bikes on the grid was not uncommon but I have been to meetings lately where I have been the only pre 72 bike racing. Its a long time since I've raced in a solely pre 72 class. We are usually in with the pre 82's but often with pre 89's as well now.
    The only acknowledgment we seem to get as a class is at the NZPCRA GP .
    I was a bit suprised at my first AGM Prizegiving that the pre 72's were not even mentioned. This was discussed with the president at the time and he said it was an oversight on his part but nothing has changed. It has also been mentioned at every AGM since.
    There seems to be a reluctance on behalf of the club to keep track of places/points for pre 72 as a class on its own so we are lumped in with the pre 82's for N0 1 Plate points. I don't see any revelance in knowing where I came in another class.
    This has also been queried but the answer is there are not enough bikes to justify running a separate class.
    This may be so but the question is why isn't there.
    I race for the sheer enjoyment of it and the camaradarie of other postie racers but I can see that constantly having to race with faster pre 82 or pre 89 bikes could be a bit disheartening for some.
    In an ideal situation having the classes that they ran in pre 72 ie 125, 250, 350, 500 and Open may encourage a few more smaller capacity bikes out rather than a straight 500 class. The NZCMRR and Posties in Australia don't seem to have trouble filling grids in the smaller classes.
    Maybe there just aren't enough bikes in NZ.
    Racing a pre 72 bike can be fairly high maintenance so maybe pre 89's the answer!.
    There seems to be a focus on this class at present.
    I was dissapointed to see pre 72 bikes dropped from Paeroa in favour of pre 89's.
    How do the public know pre 72's even exist when we don't even feature as a class in most race programs
    I know a few racers who are disgruntled by the situation but I also know of a few bikes being built so hopefully we'll see a revival.
    If anyone out there has a pre 72 bike dust it off and we'll see you out there!

Bike
    Honda CB350
    Youré not the only one wondering what happened. I have been racing pre 72 Junior for 5 years now. When I first started 6 to 10 bikes on the grid was not uncommon but I have been to meetings lately where I have been the only pre 72 bike racing. Its a long time since I've raced in a solely pre 72 class. We are usually in with the pre 82's but often with pre 89's as well now.
    The only acknowledgment we seem to get as a class is at the NZPCRA GP .
    I was a bit suprised at my first AGM Prizegiving that the pre 72's were not even mentioned. This was discussed with the president at the time and he said it was an oversight on his part but nothing has changed. It has also been mentioned at every AGM since.
    There seems to be a reluctance on behalf of the club to keep track of places/points for pre 72 as a class on its own so we are lumped in with the pre 82's for N0 1 Plate points. I don't see any revelance in knowing where I came in another class.
    This has also been queried but the answer is there are not enough bikes to justify running a separate class.
    This may be so but the question is why isn't there.
    I race for the sheer enjoyment of it and the camaradarie of other postie racers but I can see that constantly having to race with faster pre 82 or pre 89 bikes could be a bit disheartening for some.
    In an ideal situation having the classes that they ran in pre 72 ie 125, 250, 350, 500 and Open may encourage a few more smaller capacity bikes out rather than a straight 500 class. The NZCMRR and Posties in Australia don't seem to have trouble filling grids in the smaller classes.
    Maybe there just aren't enough bikes in NZ.
    Racing a pre 72 bike can be fairly high maintenance so maybe pre 89's the answer!.
    There seems to be a focus on this class at present.
    I was dissapointed to see pre 72 bikes dropped from Paeroa in favour of pre 89's.
    How do the public know pre 72's even exist when we don't even feature as a class in most race programs
    I know a few racers who are disgruntled by the situation but I also know of a few bikes being built so hopefully we'll see a revival.
    If anyone out there has a pre 72 bike dust it off and we'll see you out there!

I know someone who isn't racing because being lumped in with the pre '82's makes him a target on the track....dangerous to be too slow.

Bike
    Twin
    Good to Hear some more >72 bikes are being prepared.The NZCMRR,seem to support more smaller cc classes, and a there`s bikes in pre 76 senoir.Sort of a change over years, i guess, between clubs.

Bike
    GSXR1000K2, 89 GSXR1100K
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackflagged View Post
    Good to Hear some more >72 bikes are being prepared.The NZCMRR,seem to support more smaller cc classes, and a there`s bikes in pre 76 senoir.Sort of a change over years, i guess, between clubs.
    Yer pre 89 junior, better not say my theory on what would increase field sizes in that, as i`m just a watcher.
    Methven 'Mountain Thunder' street race, 3 April 2010
    The Cams group had around 20 pre '72 machines at the above event.
    How to make a small fortune out of motorcycle racing, start out with a BIG fortune

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    pre 72 is a widely recognised cut off at avrious levels elsewhere in the world. Where as the pre 76 class at NZCMRR events is more to do with the demise of the english (original) manufacturing.....ie when Triumph and Norton were dying in a ditch.

Time has precluded me from rebuilding the pre 72 rocketship in the garage that I'm dying to get going.

Bike
    SV1000S K5 / FZR750/1040
    I came across a T500 being readied for the track this week, full fairing fitted etc, should be out next season.

Bike
    07 fz6n. 07cbarrrr600
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k1w160 View Post
    I came across a T500 being readied for the track this week, full fairing fitted etc, should be out next season.
    NZCMRR runs classes for 250/prewar, 250-350, 350-500, 500+. With further subclasses for the 350/500/500+ bikes, a clubmans/modified/production race and post classic.

Though they are not big on jap bikes, they MIGHT let you enter in one of the events through the year, but definately not the Festival in Feb at Pukekohe.

I've been hooked up for a season with a 57 Norton Dominator, runs in 500 modified, it's very cool. There is some gorgeous bikes out there, the festival is something else too. About 200 riders and 290 odd bikes last year, just 3 days of old school bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    Fkn crack up. Most awkward interviewee ever i reckon haha.

Bike
    Twin
    Yer, looks great, got to get involved.

Bike
    Honda CB350
    NZCMRR invite NZPCRA to most of their meetings. They are very good events with a great atmosphere. Postie bikes have to run in their own NZPCRA races, usually Pre 72, 82 and 89 in together. No Japanese bikes in NZCMRR classes.

Bike
    XT660r
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    I know someone who isn't racing because being lumped in with the pre '82's makes him a target on the track....dangerous to be too slow.
    I think that this could be the issue with the lack of pre82 at the vic club rounds, I really enjoy the road race spectacular and have a separate pre 82 and pre 89 race, shame they got mixed at last years

I have got T20 race bike stashed away as well, and a TZR, hard to race 3 bikes in the same class.

Another problem with the Vic club rounds is I cant race 2 classes on my LC, only postys. In the BRM summer series I run postys and pro twin open, lots of 2 strokes in pro twin open now, more than the big dukes and aprillias

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...down south here at CAMS we have been talking the lack of pre 72s for a while now, and then all of a sudden 20+ turn out for a street race and the following club day last month saw 15 or so turn out...so its not like they are all gone or broken...I think that its got a lot to do with pre 72 owners not bringing out their machines to have to race faster more modern bikes....Im guilty of that myself....must make the effort...

Bike
    Exercycle
    Pre 72 is the unloved orphan child.... well not really but that's the effect.
    The situation now reflects pretty accurately the situation in period. If you were serious you had to have a 2 stroke, what 4 strokes were being run were Manxes etc on their last legs being run on a budget or the pretty rare kitted Hondas. Kitted CB72/77's were around but of course now the CB350 will run rings round those so no incentive to do one.
    To run a 2 stroke of the period now means serious money and time investment - probably as much or more than running a late TZ regularly.... Again just like the serious guys in period.
    Cb350's and 450's are seen as a good way/relaively cheap to get into pre 72 but the reaity is that to get a resonable lifespan from one you must spend serious money on the cranks - or keep searching for good ones...
    I suppose the best option is probably a latish Triumph or Norton - at least you could run them with PC's the Register, or BEARS.
    The recent Methven meeting demonstrated IMO that if you provide a meeting that is a sufficient drawcard they will come - The S.I has Greymouth and the Bert Munro as good examples of this. But the organising clubs have got to be prepared to take the risk of opening entries for a dedicated pre 72 race....
    Grumph

Bike
    Suzuki GS550 1978
    +1 more for Vic Club posties. Currently building a pre 82 GS550.

Thread Information