Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone also do tent camping?

Bike
    Speed Triple
    I went into Hunting and Fishing a while back, Priced up a sweet tent that rolled up tiny, a sweet sleeping bag that rolled up tiny, a sweet self-inflating mattress that rolled up tiny.

All up it came to $400, I said sweet as, I'll be back later.

Then I spent that $400 on some damn fine motels.

Bike
    '74 MV Augusta I wish
    Blog Entries
    Hi.

These days I use soft paniers because I can get them right forward behind my kness to center the weight plus I can still get through traffic. Also got a semi ridgid tankbag and for long journeys a topbox comes in very handy. This is used to keep stuff dry and keep the day food for easy access. Night food and cooking stuff goes in the paniers keeping the weight low. Dry bags are also well worth considering. On tents I like ones with a reasonable vestibule where one can cook and keep the inner tent for dry grear. Tend to have three zones - dry zone in the inner tent, semi dry one side of the innner and soaking stuff in the outer. I'm very carefull about keepung areas dry as once wet things stay that way. I also use a H D polythene ground sheet doubled up. The surplus comes in very handy sometimes. Don't let this sheet portrude from under the tent or you will be sleeping in 3 inches of water. You will need plastic bags for everything especially biking as water has an amazing capacity to get to those places mortals can't reach. Insect stuff consists of HD rub on from hunting shops and scented candles. One big candle is really good as there is nothing quite like a reaf flame in the evenings, especially the one which burns the tent down!
    Quite a few campsites have excellant drying facilities so I use them to dry out and clean up, but avoid putting your helmet in the spin driyers.[
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	south_island 438_&.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	201651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	south_island 247 &.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	201652   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19797.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	201653   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19786.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	201654  
    Last edited by cheshirecat; 24th March 2010 at 09:23. Reason: attatchmentws inserted and grammer

Bike
    one that goes
    Quote Originally Posted by Headbanger View Post
    I went into Hunting and Fishing a while back, Priced up a sweet tent that rolled up tiny, a sweet sleeping bag that rolled up tiny, a sweet self-inflating mattress that rolled up tiny.

All up it came to $400, I said sweet as, I'll be back later

Then I spent that $400 on some damn fine motels.
    $400 that would be only three nights accomodation, my tent is my motel been that way over the years for many nights, total saved over motel costs maybe around $10,000 and yep I still own my tent and other gear, in the trailer (bike trailer) and gone park most any where we want...

Bike
    Speed Triple
    Meh, The comfort of that motel was worth the $400.

Besides, I have a "luxery" caravan that I tow behind my Hilux when I want to rough it.

Lmfao.

Double bed, bunks, Full kitchen, toilet,shower, hot water, fridge, lights, heater.....

Though I still intend to pick up the tent for solo excursions on the bike.

Bike
    Yamaha TDM
    Quote Originally Posted by duckonin View Post
    $400 that would be only three nights accomodation, my tent is my motel been that way over the years for many nights, total saved over motel costs maybe around $10,000 and yep I still own my tent and other gear, in the trailer (bike trailer) and gone park most any where we want...
    iam with him..dont like motels..
    TV and all the stuff.......
    might as well stay at home....
    nothing like camping by a river. or beach....
    And that is the honest truth your honour..

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by worraps View Post
    Hi,

I am pretty new of Auckland,
    looking for buying a tent in New Zealand to start explore North island,

does anyone know some kind of camping forums ?
    so i can check on people's experiences on brands in New Zealand.

Thanks
    the old start a thread and never come back trick.....im reasonably sure a Giant is a pushbike

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    the old start a thread and never come back trick
    Bless him. We need more like him to start new and imaginative threads so us regulars can wack on about something we know fuck all about.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2012 Triumph Rocket III Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    Nice. What do you do about the mozzies?Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    ......."All Hennessy Hammocks include attached mosquito netting".....
    They sure do. And a very large fly as well. I've never been wet or bitten in it. I also have the snake skins and the winter insulation pad (SUPERSHELTER 4 SEASON INSULATION SYSTEM #2). Being 6 foot 3 inches I have the EXPLORER DELUXE A-SYM model.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information