Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil changes: hot or cold?

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    There is no point to a hot drain. Think about it for a while.. All it does is help you get the very last bit of the oil out of the bottom of the sump, and what's the point of doing that when you just undid all the goodness of an overnight drain of the top-end of the engine - by starting it!

Don't start it and push the old oil all through the engine. Leave the bike overnight to completely drip down internally, and then drain it cold and let it drip into the tray for an hour. Tilt the bike left and right if you are able, to get the last bit out of the sump. Wipe the filter housing out with a lint free shop towel. After this, you will have the minimum amount of old engine oil remaining.

I think you can safely forget about this visualisation of metal shards all though the bike. If there is any, the strainer, the filter, the plug magnet, and the stator magnets will take care of that.

Anyway, large levels of pedanticism is not necessary changing engine oil. It is the pink blankie under its' bike cover approach, and serves only to make the rider feel better. But hey if it feels good - do it!

Steve
    Good contrary post Steve!

I always warm it up because it does tend to flow better when warm. It also says to do so in the manual.

I also leave it over night and tilt left and right to get as much out as possible and also pour (waste) around 300ml of new oil back in just to get the grubby bits that don't quite make it.

I realise that this is a bit anal but that's how I do it.

I had a magnetic plug on my old bike and never found anything metalic attached to it during an oil change.
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Well if you are changing rad fluid you can have the best of both worls, just leave sitting overnight, then flush hot (boiling to be best) through radiator for about an hour while draining the oil, will heat up and come out real good, and there will be bugger all oil sitting anywhere else

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by red mermaid View Post
    Warm, or hot, and I always change the filter as well as its only $20.
    Yep, change the oil and not the filter?

Ya might as well wipe only half your arse....
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    Hot or cold?

Right you bunch of smart, educated and intellegent bikers answer me this. Was having a bit of a discussion at work today about magnets on sump plug bolts and other places around engines. Good idea, no doubt about it. Collects up all those pesky tiny slivers of worn metal inside your engine. The big debate came about when we started talking about warming the engine oil prior to draining it.

I say warm it, makes it less viscous (thinner) and easier to drain. Apparently if you do that all the metal bits are redistributed around the engine and stick there. I say the magnet deals with that.

A quick hands up at work gave 50/50 on warm up first, others reckoned drain the oil cold.

So, what is the right answer?
    I can't really say more than has been said...
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    2008 R6
    Either is good for me. I just depends when I want to do it and what's going on. The key thing is just changing the oil frequently enough. There is such a small difference between warm and cold that it really doesn't matter much.

The ONLY consideration when it is cold is that most of the oil is at the bottom as opposed to it being a bit more spread out when checking the level 4 minutes after running the bike. So if you do it cold you might need a bit more oil to top up.

IMO, it doesn't matter much.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    An interesting post by Steve - you been cut and pasting of the net again mate? he he he just yanking it.

I've always done mine hot-ish - basically after a ride, park and let it cool for a half hour or so to avoid burning my hands. I always allow it to drain until there are only random drips (like KB).

I've cut open all the oil filters off my Hornet from new and I've not found any visible crap in them. But it is a Honda.

Personally I think the old tale of a new engine having lots of machining crap in it is bollocks. It may have been true 40 years ago.

Draining is mainly a time thing,specially if you are paying for it - hot oil drains quicker.If you have the time,a cold drain gets more oil out,and the stuff that settles to the bottom (it does) goes out first.Some diesels (mainly American) use an oil that doesn't suspend to soot to be then filtered out,the soot settles to the bottom to be taken out with the drain.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Metastable View Post
    Either is good for me. [...] IMO, it doesn't matter much.
    I think that is a fair summation of it.

There are only a couple of don'ts, and they are more about not overtightning little wee bolts, or making sure there not two gaskets fitted instead of one and a few little who-the-fuck-would-have-thoughta-that things.

As long as you actually change your oil on time, and do the filter as well, there is little to go wrong. Just as always - be vigilant for the first 10-15 mins running.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Thread Information