Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Aftermath

Bike
    2005 kawasaki zxr636
    First of all good to hear your ok.
    2 WHAT THE F##K you trashed an amazing bike Im crying on the inside.
    3 The insurance company will probably try and tell you the bike was only 70% of what it was remeber you don't need to agree you can argue the point if need be. :slap:
    "Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted, nor to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider."

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Oh yeah... claim the helmet too...

Also - something of interest... if they take the wreck and sell it - you are ENTITLED to the first $900 of that sale as you were not fully indemnified at the time of the crash (i.e. you had to pay something - you were not fully covered).

Don't ask me how or why, but I understand that's the law...

Hopefully that saves you $900...!
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    2 x 07 GSXR1000, 99 TL1000
    Lucky you walked away dude, can always replace the bike. I had a hassle free insurance claim (Swann), I'd say you'll have the same. Cannot tell if there is frame or front fork & rear swing arm damage, but a mate of mine had an off on this R1, pretty much buggered, but his insurance company did not write it off, they repaired it!......although unlikely in your case, you never know........

Bike
    2011 Yamaha xvs1100
    Quote Originally Posted by swanman
    Next stage. Went to AMI office in Takapuna. Filled in the claim form. Handed it in, assessor organised to pick up the bike this afternoon. So that all seems pretty cool. AMI also suggested that if I thought it was going to be a write off that I send in the keys and ownership papers. So I'll do that. Suprised to have it pointed out to me that my excess is $900, apparently normal for high cc bikes.

I'm off to the UK tomorrow for a spell. So I'll see how it goes and post stuff as I find out.
    Great to hear you are OK
    Excess with state is $1500 over 500cc and $1000 under, I had mine reduced to $1250 when I reinsured with a much larger cc rating due to my no claims bonus of 40%. I am still waiting for state to sell the wreck for some more money back. That is because the bike was valued at more than it was insured for. Have a great trip over in the UK
    "I think men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage.
    They've experienced pain and brought jewelry." - Rita Rudner
    A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live

Bike
    2006 GSF1200S Bandit
    Glad you are ok, bit of a bummer about the R1 though....
    You have a good trip to the UK and rest and recover so that you can go shopping when you return.

Al
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    well, you crashed it good swanny! I know we can't see much of the frame etc from the pics, but if its had a tumble, I would think thats pretty much guarantee'd something structural will have been bent out of alignment and force the repair costs past 70% of the value. A new set of fairings would be about $5000 for a start anyway so it would only leave 10k to get the rest replaceed and straightened (dubious)

What sort of retention strap does your HJC use? is it a doubleD or quick release type?
    Also, did your leathers get scuffed or busted up where you had your back protector?

and my final question.... was it some nasty bit of loose gravel or somat that sent you off course or just coming in too hot?

Bike
    All sorts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkiwi
    well, you crashed it good swanny! I know we can't see much of the frame etc from the pics, but if its had a tumble, I would think thats pretty much guarantee'd something structural will have been bent out of alignment and force the repair costs past 70% of the value. A new set of fairings would be about $5000 for a start anyway so it would only leave 10k to get the rest replaceed and straightened (dubious)

What sort of retention strap does your HJC use? is it a doubleD or quick release type?
    Also, did your leathers get scuffed or busted up where you had your back protector?

and my final question.... was it some nasty bit of loose gravel or somat that sent you off course or just coming in too hot?
    Helmet is quick release type. LEathers were slightly scuffed in some places. But I polished the worst of it out almost back to good as new. Back protector has no effect on scuffing. Final question: toooo hotttt!

Bike
    Sold
    I'm off to the UK tomorrow for a spell. So I'll see how it goes and post stuff as I find out.
    That's right, I nearly forgot you were heading back over to your homeland...your plans nearly got delayed!!

Hope you have a great trip Fraser and *temporarily* forget about this event till you return. Get some R&R!

Bon voyage,

Matthew

Bike
    Super Adventure 1290s, Bonnie T214
    Bad luck Swanman - but that's a great attitude you have there.

From personal experience I believe that the bike will be written off should the repair bill be in excess of 60% of a new replacment bike. I believe that this rule applies to all bikes under 12 months old.

It got me a new one anyhoo.
    This weeks international insult is in Malayalam:

Thavalayolee
    You Frog Fucker

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff
    Bad luck Swanman - but that's a great attitude you have there.
    Indeed it is.
    Good luck to you, Sir - I hope it all works out well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by The 'gentleman' formerly known as Biff Baff
    From personal experience I believe that the bike will be written off should the repair bill be in excess of 60% of a new replacment bike. I believe that this rule applies to all bikes under 12 months old.
    It applies to all insured bikes, cars, etc.
    Sometimes it's mental though, like my VFR750 which had no structural damage, just some panel damage (and that not too serious), but with everything priced as new replacement parts, it came to $7800.
    It adds up VERY quickly, with the insane price of bike parts, like fairing stay = $1300, muffler = $1200 (who the hell would buy a new OEM muffler?!?).
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Super Adventure 1290s, Bonnie T214
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman
    It adds up VERY quickly, with the insane price of bike parts, like fairing stay = $1300, muffler = $1200 (who the hell would buy a new OEM muffler?!?).
    Does that indeed it does yes sirreee it does. I couldn't belive it when I heard that they'd written the BiffBird off. As far as I was concerned it was simply cosmetic damage. Mustn't grumble though.

And thanks for calling me a gentleman - it's been a while since anyone has called me one of them!

No please excuse me as I have a trump brewing, and I don't want to drop it in my office as I have guests arriving in 10 minutes.
    This weeks international insult is in Malayalam:

Thavalayolee
    You Frog Fucker

Bike
    All sorts
    Hi I just thought I'd take the advantage of free email in Singapore airport to post a message of absolutely no value whatsoever. Fuck I am not even half way yet!

Bike
    big gay1 that I am not licenced to use
    Good on ya swanny! bugger about the bike - shit happens eh? glad your still in good spirits, enjoy your trip and take care!

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike

Every cloud ans all that.

In all honesty, prolly the best thing that coulda happened to an R1. Great excuse to go and shell for a real bike.

GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5 GSX-R1000K5
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    Hi I just thought I'd take the advantage of free email in Singapore airport to post a message of absolutely no value whatsoever. Fuck I am not even half way yet!
    errrr.. where are ya, and where ya goin?

Thread Information