Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Yamaha FZ8/Fazer 8

Bike
    Yamaha YZ250F
    carver
    Originally Posted by "D" FZ1
    I have had a Yellow and Black 06 FZ1-N and currently have an 08 in White with a Retro Red stripe down the centre of the tank. Neither of them I would call "Average colour choice"

The only boring colour scheme was the Silver ones.

There is nothing "Disappointingly poor" about the instruments and the updated mirors on the 08/09 work fine.
    well, you do sell them, so of course.....
    Sure he sells them, but he also has owned 2 of them, which isn't necessary when you sell them.

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiff-ta View Post
    Sure he sells them, but he also has owned 2 of them, which isn't necessary when you sell them.
    no bias intended

Bike
    2022 Triumph Speed Twin 900
    They need to make a real nice looking naked with the fully tuned version of the new R1 engine in it, maybe retuned for more low down torque but aim at the same power ratings.

Then they would have a bike to take on the V-max's, the B-kings the BMWK1200 etc and if they got it to handle well, they would sell truckloads.
    If the destination is more important than the journey you aint a biker.

Sci-Fi and Non-Fiction Author
    http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/pcfris

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by beyond View Post
    They need to make a real nice looking naked with the fully tuned version of the new R1 engine in it, maybe retuned for more low down torque but aim at the same power ratings.

Then they would have a bike to take on the V-max's, the B-kings the BMWK1200 etc and if they got it to handle well, they would sell truckloads.
    I agree, i'd love Yamaha to produce the bike you've just described but in reality they've done this with the last to versions of the FZ1/Fazer. I had an '06 FZ1 Fazer and it's a good bike to be sure, I loved the look of it, the build quality was nice etc.. Given the price of them new they had the odd niggle which was annoying but nothing that could'nt be sorted.
    Why they didn't sell more in this market I think it's was more than anything else was price point and the competition was way cheaper namely the Bandit, i've ridden a couple of Bandits and i'll tell ya now they are'nt really in the same league as the FZ1/Fazer but I think the difference is Suzuki had built a bike that was cheap to buy (and run probably) from old technology that appealed to (and still does) a big segment in the New Zealand market looking for a big bike, easy to ride that gets the job done and does it reasonably well.
    The Fazer appeals to maybe the guy the wants to step back from 1000cc sports bikes into a more relaxed bike but does'nt want to go to something as relaxed as the Bandit. I liked this compromise for the most part. The Bandit is a bike appealing to a person getting back into riding at cheaper level which probably describes a lot of the New Zealand buyers in the market for this style of bike where as there are less people willing to fork out the extra for the likes of the FZ1/Fazer to get the nicer bike but essentially does the same job.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    The Brit bike mags were really looking forward to the FZ1 but when they got it they were a bit underwhelmed. It was alright but it wasn't as nice to ride as some of the less powerful competition.

I like big nakeds but an excess of power just can't be used for any length of time due to the lack of wind protection. Basically you need loads of torque in the rev range you'd be at when you are cruising at say 120 to 140 or so. (But only if that was legal of course...)

Having a bike that develops big power but has to be rowed along the road with the gear lever on a trip sort of misses the point? Which comment is general and not specifically aimed at the FZ1 of course.

Bike
    None any more

What they need is a naked FJR in a leaned-down chassis, with a chain drive. That 1300 is an absolute bell-ringer and worthy of life in configurations other than the FJR.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Yamaha YZ250F
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    What they need is a naked FJR in a leaned-down chassis, with a chain drive. That 1300 is an absolute bell-ringer and worthy of life in configurations other than the FJR.
    XJR1300 would be similar to what you are describing.

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post

Having a bike that develops big power but has to be rowed along the road with the gear lever on a trip sort of misses the point? Which comment is general and not specifically aimed at the FZ1 of course.
    That depends on how you like to ride, get a decent can on an FZ1/Fazer and going up and down through the gears is a pleasure believe me. Your point is valid though hence bigger sales for Bandit's, you can ride them lazy and they'll still move along ok. Again I think the FZ1/Fazer is aimed at the sportier end of the spectrum where rowing the gears is less of an issue.
    Anyway it'll be interesting what kind of tune the FZ8 has, wether it's more torque than power merchant.

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Why not put the FJR motor into a FZ1/Fazer chassis and perk up the suspension a bit.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiff-ta View Post
    XJR1300 would be similar to what you are describing.
    Similar but not even close.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by NZsarge View Post
    Why not put the FJR motor into a FZ1/Fazer chassis and perk up the suspension a bit.
    Now that sounds like a plan!

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by NZsarge View Post
    Now that sounds like a plan!
    Could even chuck on some of those tricky electronic bits from the Super Tenere 1200, ABS etc.. Just to bring things bang up to date.

Bike
    2008 FZ1-N

If they put the new Cross Plane Crank Engine in the FZ1-N I would definitely buy one and put my Ohlins in it.
    RIP Phil (Pinky) SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries

Nah different market. And in saying that I was impressed with what they left in the FZ1. It was basically an R1 but better down low. It basically shifted the power curve down 10-20hp in the top, and lifted the bottom and mid up by about the same. Its not the same as the Z10 which looks fantastic but seems to have massive drops in power.

The VMAX was their entry in the big bike market - and it does it VERY well with 200hp. Their other options in that area are the MT-01 and they were suppose to release the MT-0S but never did. So that space is already very crowded.

As it stands the VMAX does not sell well, nor does the BKING. So obviously there isn't the market there that you were hoping for. Where as the FZ1 in its current form has had pretty good reception.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Yamaha YZ250F
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    Nah different market. And in saying that I was impressed with what they left in the FZ1. It was basically an R1 but better down low. It basically shifted the power curve down 10-20hp in the top, and lifted the bottom and mid up by about the same. Its not the same as the Z10 which looks fantastic but seems to have massive drops in power.

The VMAX was their entry in the big bike market - and it does it VERY well with 200hp. Their other options in that area are the MT-01 and they were suppose to release the MT-0S but never did. So that space is already very crowded.

As it stands the VMAX does not sell well, nor does the BKING. So obviously there isn't the market there that you were hoping for. Where as the FZ1 in its current form has had pretty good reception.
    Yamaha only build about 150 Vmax's per year for Aussie and Nz and they sell out.

Thread Information