Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RR: Southhead - Muriwai

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by dino3310 View Post
    chuck one of these on the back Matt http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-279929924.htm
    !
    Thats what I needed to get going when I accidentally stopped in the deep stuff heading uphill. Handfull of throttle and paddling along with my feet. I was still hardly moving!

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    hows the TT handling the road miles
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Fantastic actually. 5 Speed, but really well spaced gearing. 110km/h gives a not unreasonable level of vibes and it's a reasonable seat (although I did break out the padded bike shorts that I bought when I had the 690sm!).
    Tank range is shithouse. 10L tank standard. First tank hooning around town got me 105km to reserve (6.5 Litres), but mixed commute and open road took me to 120km on 6-6.5L so that's acceptable, but the 20L tank should make it useful for adventuring. Currently has a Sirac on the front and a distanzia on the rear and i'm very impressed.

One big road area i'm happy with though is the suspension. Very stable. Low speed compression damping is great, no diving or wallowing in the corners, but the high speed damping soaks up the big bumps/judderbars/puppies.

I have strained my kick start leg a little however!!!

Bike
    91 R80GS
    wow no electric leg?
    funny how we get so spoilt nowadays.

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    nice mate real nice

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Yeah, no electric leg. Starts pretty easy though. Good compression on the thing, have had it kick back a couple of times. Auto decomp too so dont have to fiddle with any levers.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by dino3310 View Post
    chuck one of these on the back Matt http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-279929924.htm
    And don't expect to be able to use the rear brakes

Bike
    Adv
    Quote Originally Posted by c.h.r.i.s View Post
    I have heard good things about riding up the other side of the Kaipara Harbour, I have been meaning to do a ride up there sometime, only problem is you have to go as far north as Dargivlle which makes it a 500km+ round trip.
    I've been threatening ever since I got the DR to do that ride via Darga down to Glinks Gully, etc. into teh Northern Kaipara harbour area, but still haven't gotten around to it.

So - why don't we put something together? I reckon it'd be good. Accomodation in Dargaville or thereabouts now that the "season" is just about history shouldn't be too dear? Could even try to rent a bach down Tinopai or Whakapirau or thereabouts somewhere for a Sat night & share the costs?

?

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    but the 20L tank should make it useful for adventuring.
    !!!
    http://www.acerbisshop.com/?page=cat...product_id=816

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Already on its way!
    Just looked again. 23 Litre. bastard. I never found that while googling for it! Nor a decent price from acerbis. In fact I couldn't even find the shop!

Bike
    690 Advenduro
    Quote Originally Posted by johannvr View Post
    I've been threatening ever since I got the DR to do that ride via Darga down to Glinks Gully, etc. into teh Northern Kaipara harbour area, but still haven't gotten around to it.

So - why don't we put something together? I reckon it'd be good. Accomodation in Dargaville or thereabouts now that the "season" is just about history shouldn't be too dear? Could even try to rent a bach down Tinopai or Whakapirau or thereabouts somewhere for a Sat night & share the costs?

?
    Sounds to me like you have it half organised already, keep going I say (just make sure it's a weekend I am free ).

I think I might head up to Muriwai on friday for another run if anyone is keen to join me.
    High tide is 1pm so would need to hit the beach earlyish (thinking Muriwai entrance about 9:30am) head north, have a play in the dunes and duck back out on Wilsons road before the tide gets to high.

Was also thinking of doing another day out at the Sandpit, anyone keen for that? Plenty of dual sport bike friendly trails out there.
    "As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts." ― Herman Melville

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    !
    Thats what I needed to get going when I accidentally stopped in the deep stuff heading uphill. Handfull of throttle and paddling along with my feet. I was still hardly moving!
    thats what GS s are like in the sand.......

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Thats what I was thinking about while riding along that trail. 'Thank god i'm not on the GS... Poor Ewan and Charley!!!'

Thread Information