Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noise laws in NZ

Bike
    GSXR750 K4

THE ANSWER- GETTING IT

Bugger, put that last post as a new thread... oh well

To ascertain how this 86dBA is measured you need to follow ISO 362 (practically identical to BS 3425).
    There are conditions over 6 pages with all the details but these are the guts of it

-measurements shall be made in a level open area with no reflecting items (buildings, boulders, fences etc) within 50m.
    -There shall be a minimum of 20metres square of ashphalt or similar road surface (that has to comply with ISO 10844... I did say it wouldn't be simple!) with a further minimum 10m stretch at either end (at least 3m wide) prior to entering the 20x20 area.
    -The microphone is 7.5m away from the centreline in the middle of the 20x20 area
    -4 measurements are made per side .. ie vehicle does at least 8 passes
    -vehicle must be warmed up first
    -As the bike approaches the 20x20m area it must be doing 50km/hr in 2nd and/or 3rd gear (if 5 forward gears or more are fitted). The bike then accelerates hard across the 20m and then the throttle is closed as the rear of the bike passes the 20m line
    -if the engine RPM's exceed the maximum net power point, the test is done only in 3rd gear, otherwise both 2nd and 3rd are used
    -minimum of 4 consecutive measurements must be done and be within 2 dB

and it goes on and on... (incidentally I do realise I'm the only one interested at this stage!)

anyway... the reason I write all this is because the friendly man at LTSA mentioned that PIGS Ltd. have tried to prosecute some Harley owners with loud pipes. However, as is sadly oh-so-common in the field of acoustics, they didn't know their arse from their elbow and the cases got thrown because the cops didn't seem able to provide evidence as to what the law even was, let alone that the bikes were legitimately tested!
    Apparently they tested them in warehouses in an attempt to get louder readings (I imagine they stood behind the bike and revved its arse off to!)

Anyway, Sebastian, thats the way it lies! Bring your bike to NZ safe in the knowledgeAnyway, Sebastian, thats the way it lies! Bring your bike to NZ safe in the knowledge that the pigs might not like it but wouldn't know what to do about it .. and if they REALLY don't like you, they'll probably get Marshall Day to do a test, at which time we can review it and bury them anyway!

hope all that helps!

Bike
    91 Yamaha FZR600
    'stick soundmeter where sun dont shine',
    gotcha, ill write it down and remember to whip it out when needs be!
    Hasta la victoria siempre

Bike
    2000 Suzuki TL1000R
    I now be thinking of getting a louder can, thanks coldkiwi.
    for no one on this earth can you trust,
    not men, not women, not beasts,

*lifts sword*, this you can trust
    Conan the Barbarian

Bike
    GSXR750 K4

Cool good idea!

I read a review of an Aprilia Falco streetfighter kit (very limited edition) that included 'a race track only' pair of exhausts.... for the road.... go figure! Anyway, the review said they would be great, unless you want to go to work before 9am, in which case you'll have to appease your neighbours somehow.
    But if you can deal with them, then you're probably pretty sweet!

Bike
    Yamaha R1 2001
    Thanks, Coldkiwi

that was most enjoyable - and informative... if they try it on me i will tell them they first have to eat that ISO standard... as reading is not an option with those guys.

Once they've successfully digested it we can discuss it over a beer...

they are a bloody waste of my tax dollars....never mind

Thread Information