Page 160 of 165 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162 ... LastLast
Results 2,386 to 2,400 of 2471

Thread: The Movie Review Thread

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Once Upon A Time In Hollywood: yes saw it on the weekend. Very Tarantino, clever as hell, gets a bit psychotic at the end... no, it gets psychopathic, but then that's Tarantino for you.

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)

Thumbs up READY OR NOT (Genre Thriller/Horror)

The Purge meets Hide and Go Seek? Thoroughly recommended for fans of the genre, it's different, like Get Out or Us. Plus it's not a superhero movie.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
    Did you actually see Bladerunner again, or was that just a little jaunt down memory lane?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Did you actually see Bladerunner again, or was that just a little jaunt down memory lane?
    my head should be full of lor stuff like cases and legislation and shit. What its actually full of is song lyrics and movie quotes. I have young people around me to help with the lor stuff and everybody seems happy.

My current favourite movie of the film festival is ANIARA. Bleak as fuck Swedish science fiction. Also APOCALYPSE NOW FINAL CUT - which I may go and see again on the big screen.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7589524/
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Just went and saw Ford vs Ferrari. Yeah it's a car movie but it's actually pretty well done. Very diverting, if you liked the McLaren biopic then this'd be your cuppa tea.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Mrs Lowry and Son

Timothy Spall playing the artist L S Lowry who lived with his manipulative, and very negative mother, played by Venessa Redgrave.

The movie portrays their relationship, but something else I saw recently on the Antiques Roadshow gives a glance at who Lowry was.

A bus driver was sitting at the end of his run waiting for the time to head back and a man out walking his dog stopped to chat. At one point in the conversation the driver said,
    "I know who you are, you're Mr Lowry the artist."
    "That's right'"
    "My wife will never believe I was talking to you."
    "We'd better do something about that. Got a piece of paper?"

Lowry scribbled a quick sketch of a man walking a dog, signed it, and gave it to the driver. The wife was unimpressed, but the driver put the little sketch in a frame and hung it on the wall

Years later, Lowry has died as has the bus driver, and the latter's son took the sketch to the Antiques Roadshow. The expert listened to the story and asked if she could remove the sketch from the frame. When she unfolded it, on the back was a memo from the bus company to staff. It was the right bus company and the date was good.

"You can take this home and tell your mum that her little sketch is worth about one hundred and thirty thousand pounds."

Unlike some artists Lowry did not die in penury, his art was making good money before he died, if not the millions it sometimes attracts now. Until his retirement he never gave up the part of his job in which he worked as a rent collector. "They are the people in my pictures."

You will know whether you might like a movie about the life of an artist or not. Your choice. If you are mildly curious there's quite a lot about L S Lowry on the 'Net.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    "The Irishman" on Netflix - good, quite slow. Lots of well known names (de Niro, Pacino, Pesci, Keitel, etc) Mostly about the relationship between Hoffa and Sheeran (the Irishman). Anna Paquin shows up. Pretty long 3 1/2 hrs
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I've just watched Harry Potter on Netflix. Probably the first one I guess. Well some of it - I went out and made kebab skewers 1/2 way.
    I used chicken diced with yellow and red capsicum, chorizo and cherry tomatoes alternated, on wooden skewers with some rice bran oil drizzled and spices. Jammed in the oven with some baking paper. Late in the piece I sprinkled over chopped silverbeet and served with drizzle of Hoisin sauce and chipotle sauce.

So the acting was pretty bad and the CGI a little crude by today's standards. I don't think I'll watch the next one unless, again as in this instance, I don't have any choice. But my 10yr old son liked it so I'll give it a 6 out of 10.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Smokers and a tractor
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Mrs Lowry and Son

Timothy Spall playing the artist L S Lowry.
    Good to know will check it out.

I've always liked Spall as an actor ever since he played Neville on Auf Weidersehen Pet riding an old Triumph.

If you like him playing artists then check out the film Mr Turner. A very good film and quite the old rascal... if also a bit of a bastard.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I've just watched Harry Potter on Netflix. Probably the first one I guess. Well some of it - I went out and made kebab skewers 1/2 way.
    I used chicken diced with yellow and red capsicum, chorizo and cherry tomatoes alternated, on wooden skewers with some rice bran oil drizzled and spices. Jammed in the oven with some baking paper. Late in the piece I sprinkled over chopped silverbeet and served with drizzle of Hoisin sauce and chipotle sauce.

So the acting was pretty bad and the CGI a little crude by today's standards. I don't think I'll watch the next one unless, again as in this instance, I don't have any choice. But my 10yr old son liked it so I'll give it a 6 out of 10.
    Did you soak the skewers for a bit first?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Yes I did and they lasted ok. Was delicious for a Friday night easy.

Was accompanied with a Sawmill India Pale Ale, or several.

We've lost the homemade chunky peanut satay sauce the wife whipped up somewhere in the bowels of the freezer which was a pity but the store bought sauces were quite adequate.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eelracing View Post

I've always liked Spall as an actor ever since he played Neville on Auf Weidersehen Pet riding an old Triumph.
    I too was a fan of AWP.

Was driving home in New Plymouth one afternoon and saw Spall walking along the street and did what must have been a very obvious double take, Billy Connolly said something to him and they both laughed. Ah well, I made somebody happy.

There's a podcast: Full Disclosure, with James O'Brien, in which he interviews Spall. In the September interview the actor was saying that he couldn't get work after AWP because everybody thought that he naturally spoke with that broad Birmingham accent. People still ask him what part of Birmingham he's from, but he had just adopted that accent for the role. He's actually from London.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by eelracing View Post

I've always liked Spall as an actor ever since he played Bbbbbarry Barry Taylor on Auf Weidersehen Pet riding an old Triumph.

If you like him playing artists then check out the film Mr Turner. A very good film and quite the old rascal... if also a bit of a bastard.
    Fixed it for you. Awp is a classic!!!!!
    Lets go Brandon

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Yes I did and they lasted ok. Was delicious for a Friday night easy.

Was accompanied with a Sawmill India Pale Ale, or several.

We've lost the homemade chunky peanut satay sauce the wife whipped up somewhere in the bowels of the freezer which was a pity but the store bought sauces were quite adequate.
    I like your style! I had chicken nibbles chips and beer for tea and washed it all down with an enormous glass of cheaparse sav blanc.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    I like your style! I had chicken nibbles chips and beer for tea and washed it all down with an enormous glass of cheaparse sav blanc.
    Beer with savvy chasers? That's a new one.

Thread Information