Page 149 of 165 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 2471

Thread: The Movie Review Thread

Bike
    77 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMasterJ View Post
    Not a film but the series Ozark is fucking great. Ged it!
    I agree. It goes a little flat in the middle but is worth the watch.

Series 3 of Narcos is out next month. If you have not watched series 1 & 2 then check it out. We all know how it ends but the story and cast made it brilliant viewing. A bonus was the free Spanish lessons thrown in.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000s
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadpole View Post

Series 3 of Narcos is out next month. If you have not watched series 1 & 2 then check it out. We all know how it ends but the story and cast made it brilliant viewing. A bonus was the free Spanish lessons thrown in.
    I agree about Narcos, best tv I've watched in ages.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Atomic Blonde 10/10 Well worth cost of cinema ticket, killer 80's soundtrack and a couple of ladies that are easy on the eyes.

Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Season of the witch
    Not bad. Not good. The sheila plays it well but the whole thing's just not my vibe, man. Having teh famouses doesn't even help.
    Some cool sceneage (mostly shot in bulgaria or some other god forsaken place in middle-yurp.) And it doesn't force/try to take itself srsly.
    I can't even pinpoint what lets it down so much, it's got the roughings of a good flick, but... CGI witch story.. probably.

6/10 time filler.

Conjuring
    Taku matamua is getting into these kinds of shit. fuck if I know why. I know I went through a horror/slasher/... phase when I was young. This one's not bad. Not high art, nice to see ye-oldie time cameras (i'm like that) and it's pretty true to period with the whole.
    Unfortunately falls into that jump-scare trap of the genre: relying on darkness and BOO to create the "atmosphere" didn't really leave a lasting impression, and pretty clich้ with teh whole "witches haunting shit" thing. Pretty well acted all 'round, always impressed by chillens who take these kind of roles.

7/10

Insidious
    Similar vein to the above, but genuinely low budget (1.5 mil) and for that budget it does well. but for a movie... meh. Blatantly leaves it open for a sequel (boo, hiss!). And does feel cheap, but that's not a huge detractor. pretty obvious and pretty linear.

6.5/10

Guardians of The Galaxy Vol.2
    and so with the first: also with the long-ness. it feels like a lot of fluff between punch lines. it could have happily lost 20 minutes.
    easily good. fair shy of great.
    doesn't really move anything anywhere (i hear they're doing a trilogy) - i mean yes, stuff happens, but it's playing the same characters as the first, and, liek.. meh

half-a-point-less-than-the-first/10 - i would still see the 3rd.

Assassin Next Door
    Set in jewgoslavia or there abouts. it's not so much a movie, rather: a film. If that's too ambiguous for you: don't see it looking for entertainment. Though fiction, it's too IRL for that. It's also mostly in moonspeak.
    It doesn't appear high budget, but it's pretty well finished. Certainly not going into the annals of filmature, but there's worse things to do with your time.

7/10

The Girl Who Played with Fire
    Did rather enjoy. It's also in foreign-talk. Bonus some softcore girl-on-girl. While it doesn't offer any great surprises on the cat-and-cat-and-mouse-and-the-guy-helping-the-mouse theme, it's well put, and well played, and doesn't have the opportunity to hide behind effects or A-listers. i'd tap it.

7.5/10

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    Assassin Next Door
    Set in jewgoslavia or there abouts. it's not so much a movie, rather: a film. If that's too ambiguous for you: don't see it looking for entertainment. Though fiction, it's too IRL for that. It's also mostly in moonspeak.
    It doesn't appear high budget, but it's pretty well finished. Certainly not going into the annals of filmature, but there's worse things to do with your time.

7/10
    A fictional film made with a low budget? Excellent review, will look out for it.

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    The Dark Tower. 6.5/10. All a little predictable, but not an overly bad movie even though I felt like I'd seen it before in slightly different guises. Wouldn't recommend for the big screen, but t'would be more suited to a quick Saturday night no brainer rental at 95 minutes.
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post

The Girl Who Played with Fire
    Did rather enjoy. It's also in foreign-talk. Bonus some softcore girl-on-girl. While it doesn't offer any great surprises on the cat-and-cat-and-mouse-and-the-guy-helping-the-mouse theme, it's well put, and well played, and doesn't have the opportunity to hide behind effects or A-listers. i'd tap it.

7.5/10
    The Millennium series:

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
    The Girl Who Played With Fire
    The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest

Having read the books and seen the Swedish movies first, I prefer the original Swedish version of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" to the Hollywood version. The third book in the series and the movie thereof, "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest" is my pick of the bunch. "Tattoo" stands alone as a story but "Hornets Nest" follows on from "The Girl Who Played With Fire" so it's better to watch those in order.

Subsequently there has been a fourth book. When the author Stieg Larsson died, he did not leave a will so everything went to his family. His long term partner got nowt. Unsurprisingly she was pissed off. She had a laptop containing an unfinished fourth book though and in due course she approached a friend of Larsson's to finish that book, this became "The Girl In The Spiders Web". If the Swedes haven't made a movie of that book yet they may have a problem, the actor who plays Blomqvist the main male character in the series, died a few months ago.

Reportedly there is now a fifth book but as yet I haven't read that. Something to look forward to, but Akzle, check out "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest" it's well worth a look.

All three are available on Netflix for those that have it.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    The Millennium series:

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
    The Girl Who Played With Fire
    The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest

Having read the books and seen the Swedish movies first, I prefer the original Swedish version of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" to the Hollywood version. The third book in the series and the movie thereof, "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest" is my pick of the bunch. "Tattoo" stands alone as a story but "Hornets Nest" follows on from "The Girl Who Played With Fire" so it's better to watch those in order.

Subsequently there has been a fourth book. When the author Stieg Larsson died, he did not leave a will so everything went to his family. His long term partner got nowt. Unsurprisingly she was pissed off. She had a laptop containing an unfinished fourth book though and in due course she approached a friend of Larsson's to finish that book, this became "The Girl In The Spiders Web". If the Swedes haven't made a movie of that book yet they may have a problem, the actor who plays Blomqvist the main male character in the series, died a few months ago.

Reportedly there is now a fifth book but as yet I haven't read that. Something to look forward to, but Akzle, check out "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest" it's well worth a look.

All three are available on Netflix for those that have it.
    Just to add to that, the whole series is based on real life events. Stieg was a pretty heavy investigative journalists but the stuff he uncovered and the people he would expose would be a death sentence if published as fact. But the "fiction" stuff is so much better story. I bought one of his non fiction books and it was the worst driest unreadable slow garbage I have ever struggled to read, despite the massive scandels and stuff exposed withen.
    Great films, Naomi Rapace was the best and excellent actor.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I purchased the books - all three ages ago. Really struggled with the first, found it highly over rated and did not both with the others. In fact I added them to the work book swap.

And, yes, I very much enjoy my reading. I just did not get into it.

Movie was pretty good.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I have been told by someone that was defeated by Dragon Tattoo that there were just too many characters. I had trouble understanding what was going on in the beginning but it soon became clear.

Some bilingual Swedish readers apparently complain about the English translation. They feel the language in the English version has been made "prettier" than the original Swedish.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Watched 'the accountant' last night.

I was quite impressed. Closest thing to acting I've seen from Afleck.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Friday night, gassed out after a hard week at work, didn't want to be challenged in any way... The Mummy with Tom Cruise? Yeah, it'll be shit but why not.

Aside from the plane crash it's all pretty forgettable but a very special mention needs to be made of Sofia Boutella. Gawd damn. The ownage-of-every-scene is truly something to behold. Oh and even zombied up and grey and sorta rotten she's still really, really ridiculously good-looking.

Otherwise the flick is a disaster, everything about it is a step down from the Brendan Fraser / Rachael Weisz cheesetastic clichefest masterpiece from more than a decade ago.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Pay attention to Peaky Blinders series on netflix.
    That is all.

Bike
    77 XL250
    Peaky Blinders might appeal. It certainly didn't to me and SWMBO after the first two episodes. It struck me as an American 'Sopranos' chucked into northern England with a scribbled note saying "Make it glossy and the punters will overlook the rest"

Things to look forward to:

Red Dwarf series 12 in October.
    Detectorists series 3 sometime over our Summer - If you don't know it, have a look. Hold judgement until episode 2. Then it will drag you into its own little world.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadpole View Post
    Red Dwarf series 12 in October.
    almost worth getting a tv for. that shit's funny as fuck

-edit-
    HLYFKNSHT they're making more! since fucken 2009. how do i not know about this??

time for some piracy methinks.

Thread Information