Page 163 of 165 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165 LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,445 of 2471

Thread: The Movie Review Thread

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    That Sugar Film.

Surprisingly entertaining doco, basically "Aussie bloke does 40 tsp sugar a day and goes walkabout".

Excellent music video parody at the end too.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Just been getting into The Boys, on Amazon Prime.

Think of it as being the Anti-Marvel. Filthy language, bad behaviour, nudity, profanity, perversion, graphic splatter violence, stupidity, celebrity superheroes with more than a bit of Justin Bieber or Real Housewives going on, and underneath it all a very serious discussion of what a world with superheroes might actually look like. Non-spoiler hint: that world is probably not perfect. Maybe quite a long way off perfect, in fact.

Lots of good acting (Karl Urban and the bloke playing The Homelander in particular), excellent settings and cinematography.

The whole thing is from a comic also called The Boys, by depraved genius Garth Ennis. He did Preacher earlier. Unlike the hit-and-miss attempt at Preacher, this one manages to capture the spirit of the original. I'm only up to Ep 4 but it's pretty good going so far... save the dolphins!

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Since Sky let me have movies to make up for the loss of any sports coverage I've been playing catch up. Watched 'Missouri Breaks' with Marlon Brando and Jack Nicholson, 'East of Eden' with James Dean, 'The Long Riders' with the brothers Carradine, Keach and Quaid, and 'Lawrence of Arabia' (again) with a cast of thousands.

Have recorded 'Gone With The Wind' and a number of others.

Also in case anyone is interested, on Twitter somebody asked recommendations for Cold War spy stories and received advice that the BBC series of the LeCarre novels: 'Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy' and 'Smiley's People' etc are available on You Tube. There are two series of Tinker Tailer one from the 1970s and one from 2011. Both have some distinguished actors.

Movies on Youtube can be of varying quality but all of this BBC content is supposed to be great.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Love Le Carre stories. I have TTSS / Smileys People on DVD, both original BBC series and just great. Sir Alec Guinness is perfect as George Smiley. Other Le Carre stories worth another viewing - The Little Drummer Girl; The Night Manager
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Love Le Carre stories. I have TTSS / Smileys People on DVD, both original BBC series and just great. Sir Alec Guinness is perfect as George Smiley. Other Le Carre stories worth another viewing - The Little Drummer Girl; The Night Manager
    +1
    Also the Constant Gardener was very good.
    Although all his stories have a lot going on so reading the book first helps...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    It was on the good
    Caught Bridge of Spies the other week which wasn't bad for a Tom Hanks fillum.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Caught Bridge of Spies the other week which wasn't bad for a Tom Hanks fillum.
    There's a book by the same title (can't remember the author), the account of the U2 shootdown is amazing.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Love Le Carre stories. I have TTSS / Smileys People on DVD, both original BBC series and just great. Sir Alec Guinness is perfect as George Smiley.
    I'm watching TTSS but am experiencing cognitive dissonances. I keep hearing Obi Wan Kenobi.

As long as George Smiley doesn't suddenly produce a light sabre I'll get used to it.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    The Highwaymen.

Two retired Texas Rangers go on the hunt for Bonnie and Clyde. America, Great Depression, 1934. Based on the true story (reasonably closely from what I could see on Wikipedia). Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson lead.

It's a quiet, slow drama and character study rather than a thriller. In fact it's pretty much the direct opposite of a Hollywood blockbuster despite the subject material. Great props, costumes, excellent acting, close attention to period-correct dialogue and realism, and they don't stint on the moral ambiguity of a necessary manhunt with no arrest likely at the end either. It's only going to end one way. Everyone knows that, it's just a question of how and when.

A solid 9 / 10.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Just been getting into The Boys, on Amazon Prime.

Think of it as being the Anti-Marvel. Filthy language, bad behaviour, nudity, profanity, perversion, graphic splatter violence, stupidity, celebrity superheroes with more than a bit of Justin Bieber or Real Housewives going on, and underneath it all a very serious discussion of what a world with superheroes might actually look like. Non-spoiler hint: that world is probably not perfect. Maybe quite a long way off perfect, in fact.

Lots of good acting (Karl Urban and the bloke playing The Homelander in particular), excellent settings and cinematography.

The whole thing is from a comic also called The Boys, by depraved genius Garth Ennis. He did Preacher earlier. Unlike the hit-and-miss attempt at Preacher, this one manages to capture the spirit of the original. I'm only up to Ep 4 but it's pretty good going so far... save the dolphins!
    fun fact: Karl Urban and Ant Starr (Homelander) are both Kiwis.

Also: series 2 comes out in early September I think. Probably my favourite new show I watched this year. Yes, including Star Trek Picard
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Now bikeless :-(
    Been watching two TV series, both of which will appeal if you enjoyed the Tv version of Hitchhikers' Guide To The Galaxy.

First was Good Omens which is a biblically based story from Adam & Eve to the apocalypse. An angel and a demon (David Tennant) who are on good terms with each other against head office policy and a few screw-ups along the way which impacts on the end result.

The other is Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency which is only very loosely based on the Douglas Adams books. Elijah Wood (Frodo) plays Dirks 'assistant' who is sucked into a very complex investigation which includes mind controlled thugs, supernatural events, time travel and a pretty respectable body count. It will have you scratching your head while trying to put all the pieces into their correct order.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Does it have a horse in the upstairs bathroom?
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Does it have a horse in the upstairs bathroom?
    No, but many of the animals are not what they seem.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naki Rat View Post
    No, but many of the animals are not what they seem.
    Good enough for me.

If there is a couch jammed on the stairwell I shall be super happy.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Good enough for me.

If there is a couch jammed on the stairwell I shall be super happy.
    About to start watching season 2. I'll keep a lookout for the couch and keep you posted.

Thread Information