Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Maungatapu Diaries

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Righto, just got off the phone with the Maitai Caretaker, Trevor. He's the one doing the repairs on the Track, and also fencing Linton Hill.

The track is closed for 12 months while they fix & stabilize the road, he reiterated they don't want anyone in there. However, he does not have a problem with motorcycles as they don't damage the road! There is a makeshift bypass around the western gate near his cottage; he said it is steep on the bank but if we have difficulty with it, pop up to the house and see him, he will unlock the gate. We should be able to drag bikes under the cable at the eastern end (the summit).

So... the Maungatapu is open for bikes

He puts the bulk of the trouble-makers in the "young guys with cheap 4wds" category - making new tracks, felling native trees & saplings, ripping up the track.

Linton Hill update; he's been busy there putting in new gates and fences. I did a recce there on the weekend. The single-track going directly up the spur to the power pylon will be cut off by a fence. There is a new gate at the Maitai Rd, and another across the track at the bottom of the climb. Both gates have spring-loaded pedestrian/motorcycle gates on the side of the main locked gates. They don't want to stop motorcycles getting in to Hira Forest, but they know ppl do leave gates open, so have put auto-closers on them. Do these guys rock or what? The NCC boundary is the firebreak and the track, so the pines uphill from the track are Hancock forests... I think. Doesn't matter much, I s'pose.

One area suggested by the NCC staffer is a no go, as I thought it would be - tramping access only. But at least he was throwing ideas out there rather than being obstructive. There's another lead I'm following up with him.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Good stuff Warewolf.
    Looks like a celebratory ride would be in order (not this weekend tho wifes away again & can't balance properly with both kids on bike)

Edit: um actually I will have ot wait for it to dry out thru the bog...

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    The bogs should be mostly fixed - just not fully, or permanently.
    Cheers,
    Colin

All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    Honda 650 Africa twin and a Dommie
    warewolf !

Bike
    '01 Honda Transalp '99 Honda CBR 600
    Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    warewolf !
    What he said. Nice work!
    Nobody knows what human life is, why we come, why we go,
    so why then do I know, I will see you in far off places?
    Stephen Patrick Morrissey

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    How do you go about looking up an old court case?
    Need to find what the verdict was.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Just applied for a 14 day trial of Brookers.
    We'll see how it goes.

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    From Mrs Warewolf, who has spent years working as an administrator for lawyers...

LawCite

or google "nz case law". There's a link off the national library web site, too.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Just had a chat to another of my clients who remembers the case and he says he approached Alec Louverdis and told him he thought the current gates were illegal and that there was a court case which established this.
    He was told they'd look into it.

Still digging...

This is fun.

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Are you thinking of the one somewhere Wellington/Hutt way, IIRC due to regular use by motor vehicles the council couldn't simply shut it down?
    Cheers,
    Colin

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Good work WW.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Was chatting to a client and about 35 years ago he found a locked gate at the summit. He went back later and cut the lock off. The gate was put there by the mayor of the time (privately - not officially) and he took the cutter to court for destruction of private property. The mayor lost. I need to find the ruling and see what the wording was...

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    Are you thinking of the one somewhere Wellington/Hutt way, IIRC due to regular use by motor vehicles the council couldn't simply shut it down?
    I suspect the Well/Hutt one you refer to was the paper road through transmission gully that Transit at the time wanted to stop for the new highway. Was argued that nobody could drive the route and the 4wd guys said like hell let us at it.

Slightly different in that there was a legal road reserve. Not sure what the final outcome is but I think the highway route has been altered for this and other reasons.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    I suspect the Well/Hutt one you refer to was the paper road through transmission gully
    That's not what I remember, but I could be mis-remembering.

There was a paper road used as a 4wd recreation area, then the subdivision plan included the council selling the land the road was on to the developer. The courts ruled that an unimproved road in use couldn't be removed any more than a motorway. The critical point in the ruling was that the road was in regular use.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Thread Information