Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Maungatapu Diaries

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    That's not what I remember, but I could be mis-remembering.

There was a paper road used as a 4wd recreation area, then the subdivision plan included the council selling the land the road was on to the developer. The courts ruled that an unimproved road in use couldn't be removed any more than a motorway. The critical point in the ruling was that the road was in regular use.
    Still a paper road through. IIRC the Mangatapu is not a paper road but rather a customary track/route across land that is now council reserve. Quite probably the original route is now under the lake.
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    No references online

As far as I know, most of the track from near the dam head to the other end is still pretty much as it was laid out in 1860.

Bike
    89 GPX750, 06KLR650
    Are you thinking of the one somewhere Wellington/Hutt way, IIRC due to regular use by motor vehicles the council couldn't simply shut it down?
    The road you are thinking of in the Hutt valley is Johnsons road, which is a paper road, there used to be a write up about it on the paper road societys web site, but I can't seem to find it now. the only link I could find was this one on Andy cockroft's site (north island 4wd book fame), Here and Here
    Paul’s Adventure riding Photo’s

Latest photo's

Paved Roads are just another example of Wasted Taxpayer Dollars

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    The road you are thinking of in the Hutt valley is Johnsons road, which is a paper road, there used to be a write up about it on the paper road societys web site, but I can't seem to find it now. the only link I could find was this one on Andy cockroft's site (north island 4wd book fame), Here and Here

Hmm, ever ridden it Howie?

Any interest in having a look?
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    89 GPX750, 06KLR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
    Hmm, ever ridden it Howie?

Any interest in having a look?
    Nope Eddie can't say that I have, I'm not sure what the access arrangements are, I seem to remember it being under attack for closure again recently. It's the road that has the Short Straw cafe on it in Whitemans valley.
    Paul’s Adventure riding Photo’s

Latest photo's

Paved Roads are just another example of Wasted Taxpayer Dollars

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Got a couple of Nelson Evening Mail articles from Feb 1970 about the closing of the track to the motorised public.

Narrows the search down a bit...

Bike
    Agent Orange
    Righto, just got off the phone with the Maitai Caretaker, Trevor. He's the one doing the repairs on the Track, and also fencing Linton Hill.

The track is closed for 12 months while they fix & stabilize the road, he reiterated they don't want anyone in there. However, he does not have a problem with motorcycles as they don't damage the road! There is a makeshift bypass around the western gate near his cottage; he said it is steep on the bank but if we have difficulty with it, pop up to the house and see him, he will unlock the gate. We should be able to drag bikes under the cable at the eastern end (the summit).

So... the Maungatapu is open for bikes

He puts the bulk of the trouble-makers in the "young guys with cheap 4wds" category - making new tracks, felling native trees & saplings, ripping up the track.

Linton Hill update; he's been busy there putting in new gates and fences. I did a recce there on the weekend. The single-track going directly up the spur to the power pylon will be cut off by a fence. There is a new gate at the Maitai Rd, and another across the track at the bottom of the climb. Both gates have spring-loaded pedestrian/motorcycle gates on the side of the main locked gates. They don't want to stop motorcycles getting in to Hira Forest, but they know ppl do leave gates open, so have put auto-closers on them. Do these guys rock or what? The NCC boundary is the firebreak and the track, so the pines uphill from the track are Hancock forests... I think. Doesn't matter much, I s'pose.
    I took your words of advice WW, and went up for a look yesterday.
    Spoke to the bloke doing the fencing and he was really helpful about the swing gate for motorbike access and said if it needed any modificatiuons, to let him know. The spring seems a little light, but seems to work okay. They're mainly fencing Linton hill for stock grazing now, so if anyone is heading up there of next month or two, please treat sheep/new lambs with a little decency, and take it quietly. There was some new lambs in there so I turned and headed straight back out. Plenty of time for riding up there later.
    Beware, the old "single track" at the entry to Linton Hill has now been fenced over at the lower pylon near the crest of the hill, and could be easy to run into if light isn't right...ie sunstrike etc. Use the 4wd track on the right, where there is a second bike-only swing-gate.

Also spoke to Maitai caretaker and went for a quiet look up the Mangatapu. The diversion around the locked gate is easy enough to get down, and with a little throttle, I got back up it again okay, but heavier bikes with low tyre tread may struggle as it is a short greasy bank to get up.
    The Manga track is a bit like a highway now, the track has been well graded smooth, all the water ruts are gone, but they've added some nice waterbar channels to aid runoff, which hit at speed will launch the bike quite nicely There is still some mud in the usual places and a couple of big beech trees down over the track halfway up, so still some work to do in there yet. Can't say what the Pelorus end is like, can't imagine it will have changed much.

Bike
    Agent Orange
    Righto, just got off the phone with the Maitai Caretaker, Trevor. He's the one doing the repairs on the Track, and also fencing Linton Hill.

The track is closed for 12 months while they fix & stabilize the road, he reiterated they don't want anyone in there. However, he does not have a problem with motorcycles as they don't damage the road! There is a makeshift bypass around the western gate near his cottage; he said it is steep on the bank but if we have difficulty with it, pop up to the house and see him, he will unlock the gate. We should be able to drag bikes under the cable at the eastern end (the summit).

So... the Maungatapu is open for bikes

He puts the bulk of the trouble-makers in the "young guys with cheap 4wds" category - making new tracks, felling native trees & saplings, ripping up the track.

Linton Hill update; he's been busy there putting in new gates and fences. I did a recce there on the weekend. The single-track going directly up the spur to the power pylon will be cut off by a fence. There is a new gate at the Maitai Rd, and another across the track at the bottom of the climb. Both gates have spring-loaded pedestrian/motorcycle gates on the side of the main locked gates. They don't want to stop motorcycles getting in to Hira Forest, but they know ppl do leave gates open, so have put auto-closers on them. Do these guys rock or what? The NCC boundary is the firebreak and the track, so the pines uphill from the track are Hancock forests... I think. Doesn't matter much, I s'pose.
    I took your words of advice WW, and went up for a look yesterday.
    Spoke to the bloke doing the fencing and he was really helpful about the swing gate for motorbike access and said if it needed any modificatiuons, to let him know. The spring seems a little light, but seems to work okay. They're mainly fencing Linton hill for stock grazing now, so if anyone is heading up there of next month or two, please treat sheep/new lambs with a little decency, and take it quietly. There was some new lambs in there so I turned and headed straight back out. Plenty of time for riding up there later.

Also spoke to Maitai caretaker and went for a quiet look up the Mangatapu. The diversion around the locked gate is easy enough to get down, and with a little throttle, I got back up it again okay, but heavier bikes with low tyre tread may struggle as it is a short greasy bank to get up.
    The Manga track is a bit like a highway now, the track has been well graded smooth, all the water ruts are gone, but they've added some nice waterbar channels to aid runoff, which hit at speed will launch the bike quite nicely There is still some mud in the usual places and a couple of big beech trees down over the track halfway up, so still some work to do in there yet. Can't say what the Pelorus end is like, can't imagine it will have changed much.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Someone has been busy with a bullbar or winch

The end that was in the rock face.

Where it was ripped from the rock...

And of course...

Bloody idiots. They could stuff it up for everyone.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    I have to say that whilst the Nelson side is in pretty good condition, but from the summit to Murdererers Rock is a real workout. Some deep shale, rocks, very rough

As I was going through a pair of Port Nelson vans passed me heading toward Nelson...

Then a couple of km later a DOC ute passed me and asked if I'd seen 2 vans

On the way back I passed one van near the end of the gravel and cruising to Pelorus.

The other van was just getting back to the house on the Maungatapu Track proper and following Mr DOC man
    As he passed me in the rain ruts one back wheel was about 40cm in the air

They must have got up quite a way before they could even turn around.
    There's no way in hell they could have got to the summit. It's proper 4WD territory at the moment.

Bike
    KTM 690 Enduro

update please?

Hi Fran,

Any update on access / gates please. I'm going to be in the area before New Year and keen to ride the track.

Thanks

Ken

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Ride around the gate at the dam end no problem.
    Squiggle under the wire at the summit unless you're on a bike you can't lean over 45deg. Thumpers and smaller twins no problem.

I'm tempted to take a grubber up there and put a 10cm trench in for bike wheels to make it easier.

A 690 with good DP tyres would be able to do all the side tracks unless it rained within the last 2 days and then its only the first one on the left down toward Nelson from the summit that would be unadvisable.

Bike
    BMW R100 GS, Kawasaki GT750

Mangatapu

We went over the track on the GS anniversary ride in November. It was a bit sketchy on the Pelorus side but everyone got over eventually. Bit more difficult if your bike has loads of luggage on board. Half of us had Scorpion type tyres on, so grip is'nt a big problem, just keeping your momentum near the top where it gets loose and steep is the only issue.Cheers.
    Two wheels good, four wheels bad.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by barrie View Post
    We went over the track on the GS anniversary ride in November.
    Was the summit wire rope up?

Bike
    BMW R100 GS, Kawasaki GT750

Summit

Not that I remember, We regathered at the top then just carried on through when everyone was happy. There was a gate to open at the far (nelson end), one of the organisers had the key for that and I think you could have rode around it anyway. Not sure if there is a gate at the pelorus end, there were 35 of us in a group so I am unaware if the lead guy had to open a gate to get us all through.
    http://gsridersnz.blogspot.com/ There are a few photos on this site,could take a while to find the ones your after as there are 700+. Cheers
    Two wheels good, four wheels bad.

Thread Information