Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: ATGATT. Why? It doesn't affect anyone else?

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Good to hear from you Jim and I hope you're feeling a little better! Your foot injury sounds quite nasty.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    I haven't posted in ages, but this thread got my dander up.

I am am one of "them" giving bikers a bad name with people who can make life difficult for bikers. I cost and am costing ACC thousands. I fit the profile of a mid-life idiot despite riding for years prior to being regarded as middle aged - Powerful bike, etc, etc, etc.

I made life very difficult for dozens of people on the day of my accident and the weeks following. I fail to see how that is any different to the premise of the OP.

I happened to be wearing ATG on the day of the accident because I was cautiously getting to know my new bike. I was knocked off my bike by a sheep at about 75 km/h and sustained injuries that are almost a carbon copy of those sustained by vinyl jacket man. It is pointless conjecture to assume that my gear saved my life. My gear helped break my ribs and caused bone deep abrasions on my elbow, knee and hand. The elbow armour was trapped between my body and the ground on impact and the 10 fractured ribs show a pattern that matches the shape of the elbow armour. The knee armour gouged the crap out of knee when the bike landed on it at a strange angle.

The only piece of gear I can point at and say it prevented a more serious injury is my right boot. My right ankle was so over-extended it pulled the front tendon off the bone and ruptured and tore the anterior ligaments running from ankle to foot. Without the boot's exo-skeleton my right ankle would have been hopelessly mangled, because the sheep hit the front wheel and highsided me over the left of the bike and in front of it. The bike then landed on my right leg which swelled to twice its normal size over 24 hours from knee to toes.

In this instance I was wearing ATG and STILL "hurt" other people.

The issue isn't simply confined to not wearing ATG. To point at other's selfish actions and try to use them as an example of what not to do due being hurt is a little creepy. IMO. I'm no different to vinyl jacket man. I wasn't skilled enough or quick enough to react and cost myself a new bike, found out that broken ribs and internal injuries are something that I wouldn't wish on anyone, and learned the cost of letting my ambition exceed my talent. Worst of all I complicated a Copper's life, made a trust spend money on a Helicopter flight that they'll have to go fund raise to pay for, wasted 3 hours of an ambulance crew's day, and prevented some helpful members of the public from completing a house move in the middle of nowhere. I scared my family too.

All of which makes me one of "them".
    All that you have spoken about here Jim, I would think that 99% of us are very very happy that all those things that occured (following the accident) did.
    The other scenario is not worth thinking about is it?

Bike
    Ducati V4S Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I happened to be wearing ATG on the day of the accident because I was cautiously getting to know my new bike. I was knocked off my bike by a sheep at about 75 km/h and sustained injuries that are almost a carbon copy of those sustained by vinyl jacket man....
    Damn sheep. I know how you feel. I swerved and missed the creature but ended up highsiding and ending up with several broken ribs, split liver, internal bleeding in my lung and massive bruising and long term pain, not to mention a head injury that has pretty much destroyed so much of my life thereafter.

The cost to ACC and the taxpayer would have been very significant all up. Every crash, non-injury, injury and fatal affects us all one way or another. Time, taxes, levies, emotional impact etc.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    James Duece, you are so far from being "one of them" that it's not funny. I dont doubt for an instant that all of the things you have told us about what your gear did is true. I dont for a minute however consider that you took to your bike without first putting on all that useless gear without thought for what it might or might not do for you. This guy didn't, while I sincerely hope he recovers I also hope that if he ever rides again he takes the time to think about himself and his loved ones and does put on any gear that he may have.
    You did.
    He didn't.
    Those people have jobs that mean that when you had an accident they get to come help you out, if I was paying for them to sit in a station and read a book and not have to come out to an accident you may have, I'd happy.
    As it is when they got called out to your accident they were responding to an unavoidable accident.
    Recently my wife had one of those on her bike.
    I am truly grateful to the civilians who helped us both , to the firemen and women who attended, the Police who having attended have since contacted her and told her there would be no charges of any kind and that they were glad she was OK, but to date they've been unable to find the bastards who left a trailer load of car parts in the middle of the road.
    She was wearing ATGATT her speed was approx 40Kph, it definitely saved her considerably more pain and suffering than if she had not been wearing it.
    Different situations different gear, same principal, it was on to protect in case of.
    You'd never consider riding without it all again anyway would you?
    Point is you did think ,you most likely have done for a very long time.
    Sadly while your gear apparently did more harm than good I'd venture to say that in reality without it you'd be considerably worse off than you are now, therefore if I can keep you on the rational trail of what the gear did! do it would be self evident that it did more good than harm and it proves that as you did, thinking of yourself and others paid off.
    This is not a witch hunt for those that dont do ATGATT, it started off as an observation that not thinking of yourself and your loved ones Does impact terribly on many others and that it is a myth that you are your own boss and master and will answer to no one because it's your right as long as it doesnt interfer with others around you.
    You've told us that you put on your gear on. From that point on the rest of your story is truely about the help you deservedly got from resuce and emergency service personel who's job it is to make sure you come back alive.
    They would much rather piss you off by cutting off your expensive leathers than lose you in the ambo. They would far rather see that you tried to make yourself safe than see the truely horrific burns and abrassions received from folk who use no protective gear at all.
    They would come out to your accident everytime knowing that you cared enough for yourself and your loved ones to use the gear.
    Doesnt that mean something?
    No James Deuce your not "one of them" you are someone whio did all they could be expected to do, who was simply shagged by a bloody great sheep in the middle of a damnd roadway.
    Sue the frigging council who allowed the cocky to let hs sheep run rampant.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    > 1 < 10
    ok i gotta ask................whats atgatt??????????
    yeah i know its safety gear........
    ***** POLITICIANS *****
    People Of Little Integrity Thieving Innocent Citizens Incomes And Need Shooting

*******KASPA*******
    Knavery Artificial Spurious Pretentious Arseholes

Bike
    SF
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemad View Post
    All The Gear All The Time

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemad View Post
    LOL BLOODY NORF SHORIANS , hey Col. ATGATT = all the gear all the time, you gioing to HB country end of the month?

Bike
    > 1 < 10
    ahhhh .........cheers steve
    ***** POLITICIANS *****

*******KASPA*******

Bike
    > 1 < 10
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    LOL BLOODY NORF SHORIANS , hey Col. ATGATT = all the gear all the time, you gioing to HB country end of the month?
    Howdy mark.............yep.....takin ute wit MK3 onboard
    ***** POLITICIANS *****

*******KASPA*******

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I had a white knuckle moment this arvo, when a Rav4 (coming towards me) decided not to run a Pukeko down ... and run ME off the road instead ....

I stayed upright ... and continued when my heartbeat got below 120 beats per min.

My headlight was on FULL ... what goes on in their heads ????
    Perhaps, the fact your headlight was on FULL, was the problem! The next f**ker that rides towards me with his headlight on FULL, will get a front wheel full of Hiace van and roobar! (if I'm in the van!)
    I have twice been near blinded by bikes with their headlights on full beam during the day in the last month alone - next time, I might be blinded to the extent of running in to them!
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    James Duece, you are so far from being "one of them" that it's not funny.
    No Hitcher your not "one of them" you are someone whio did all they could be expected to do, who was simply shagged by a bloody great sheep in the middle of a damnd roadway.
    Are you on drugs?
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    1997 Moto Guzzi California
    His inability to ride seems to be the main problem. ( ref OP )

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    I haven't posted in ages, but this thread got my dander up.
    Good to hear from you, Jim. And we hope that the recovery process is going well.

Au contraire to what you are saying on the subject of this thread. No-one is saying that a gearless rider is not deserving of any and all assistance in the event of an off. The gear or lack of makes no difference when it comes to how to deal with the aftermath. Those without appropriate gear certainly are not deserving of sympathy as regards injuries that gear may have prevented...but that's a different subject.
    Last edited by MSTRS; 5th April 2010 at 09:16.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Are you on drugs?
    LOL many thanks, no it was just late and I was a little tired getting confuzzed. Cheers for the heads up.

Bike
    696 Ducati
    Blog Entries
    This has made me think hard "go do a first aid course" I need it for work too... but its not a must for work... this kinda thing is... I came across a young 20 something on a bicycle once no helmet, he had a epileptic fit while cycling, and I could not face the blood, luckily there were people close by that I yelled for ... but this is another big reason... ALL motorcyclists should have their first aid cert! Surely!

Thread Information