Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F1 Error - 2006 GSX-R 600.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R600

F1 Error - 2006 GSX-R 600.

Hey guys,

This morning when I started up the bike I saw a red light come on next to the oil temp display on the dash and an error flashing saying "F1".

Can anyone tell me what exactly this error means or what I should be checking to resolve whatever problem has caused it?

Cheers,
    Hanré

Bike
    Bikes!
    Get a copy of your service manual, it will detail how to get the fault code (you'll need to jump a couple of pins on the service connector), and what the resultant code means. No biggy, take you about an hour the first time. Could be anything, possibly a sensor gone bad, or maybe something like the SET valve jamming.

Bike
    a red heap
    it would have said "FI", not "F1" which just means it has logged a fault code, you will need to take it to a dealer to get them to bring up the correct code. (you can fuck around and cross wires and shit to bring up the code, but its easier to take it to the dealer)

p.s. if its not on now, and it has gone out soon after you started it, i would say it was the exhaust valve playing up.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    Get a copy of your service manual, it will detail how to get the fault code (you'll need to jump a couple of pins on the service connector), and what the resultant code means. No biggy, take you about an hour the first time. Could be anything, possibly a sensor gone bad, or maybe something like the SET valve jamming.
    +1. You could also just google for the codes as they are posted on motorcycle forums almost everywhere.

Click here for photos on how to check the fault code.

Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    it would have said "FI", not "F1" which just means it has logged a fault code, you will need to take it to a dealer to get them to bring up the correct code. (you can fuck around and cross wires and shit to bring up the code, but its easier to take it to the dealer)

p.s. if its not on now, and it has gone out soon after you started it, i would say it was the exhaust valve playing up.
    Exhaust valve playing up....YEP happened on mine and Winjas

Crazy Steve.

Bike
    GSXR1000

The exhaust midpipe valve is the most common source of FI faults, usually requires cleaning and a bit of lube.

Click here for a list of fault codes. Sorry not 100% if they are model specific.

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    The exhaust midpipe valve is the most common source of FI faults, usually requires cleaning and a bit of lube.
    i find throwing it in the rubbish and pulling the brown wire out to be the most cost effective soloution.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Haha, very true.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6

Yep, I'd lay money that the fault code you will get is "C46"... the EXCVA.
    I have adjusted the cables on the two sem fiddys in this household, and Nicksta's six hundy... solved the problem. They can be within spec according to the manual, but still throw a fault every now and then. When they're adjusted to the nth degree, they're all sweet
    Member, sem fiddy appreciation society

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I find it ironic that the incredibly rude personal comments about Les were made by someone bearing an astonishing resemblance to a Monica Lewinsky dress accessory.

All was good until I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable after a while

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    Oh... with the K6 onwards six hundy...the fault will be stored in the ECU, your dealer can hook up the SDS tool and get the results in seconds

I find it ironic that the incredibly rude personal comments about Les were made by someone bearing an astonishing resemblance to a Monica Lewinsky dress accessory.

All was good until I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable after a while

Bike
    EX500s - Ruby
    If you've turned the key off then the fault code may or may not still be logged. Hooking up to the dealer diagnostic computer will give an answer there and if so, what code it is. You can jump the 'thingy" plug using the likes of a paper clip but the temperature number will then be a series a dashes unless it faults again, in which case the error code number will be displayed.
    Mstrs had a fault code problem on his SRAD, the error codes said it was a problem with fuel injectors, but it turned out to be a dirty connection on the battery terminal.
    Diarrhoea is hereditary - it runs in your jeans

If my nose was running money, I'd blow it all on you...

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    Quote Originally Posted by yungatart View Post
    If you've turned the key off then the fault code may or may not still be logged. Hooking up to the dealer diagnostic computer will give an answer there and if so, what code it is.
    On the 05 onwards 1000, and 06 onwards 600 and 750, the fault code will be stored in the ECU

Bike
    Bikes!
    Read the workshop manual, it's all very straight forward. Unless you're not equipped with the most basic of tools, or have very little spare time, you'd be a bit silly to bother taking it to a dealer to pay to find out what a paper clip could tell you for free. Don't worry if the FI light has gone away, if it's truly faulty, or becoming faulty, it'll be back soon enough.

Now, having said that, if you brought it new, and your dealer normally services your bike, I would be surprised if they wouldn't plug it into the SDS and tell you what's up for nix (lets face it, it's not a big job for them, and there's the possibility of workshop work for them, not to mention next to free good will which they can't buy any other way). At least, you'd like to think so... give them a ring.

Poor old Mr SET Valve lives in a pretty harsh environment, and as with anything like that, maintenance maintenance maintenance is the key. A little love will generally see it right, oodles of threads around the net on how to accomplish that.

Bike
    None any more
    The real answer is that it does actually say F1 error. It's because Lewis Hamilton's team fucked up badly in qualifying for the Malaysian GP.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R600
    Thanks guys.

Yea I searched around on gixxer aswell and found some instructions on how to check for errors. I started up the bike again this morning and the error was gone so I'm assuming it's not a major. Will check for error codes over the weekend when I get a tad more time!

Thread Information