Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Police riders' handbook to better motorcycling - Motorcycle road craft

Bike
    2005, Yamaha FZ1
    Quote Originally Posted by sinned View Post
    Thanks for this book recommendation; I have ordered from Amazon - it is on back order. A zillion years ago I did the Institute of Advanced Motorists driving program, got the cert but more importantly developed skills which have helped to keep me alive and enjoy driving. If only the equivalent motorcycle riding program was available in NZ?
    It is all available in New Zealand. IAM have benn here for a million years, and I for one, amongst a few others up and down the country do the training. If your instructor doesn't use Roadcraft as their basis for advanced riding, then, maybe advanced training isn't for them.
    I endorse this book 1000% percent.,
    Remember, that GOOD QUALITY TRAINING stays with you forever. It doesn't get sold with your bike, or expire with your rego. It stays with you FOREVER..

It's not the message that is DELIVERED, but the message that is RECEIVED that is important.

Bike
    '93 Sportster Custom
    Blog Entries
    Awesome invaluable information for someone like me! thanks! definately gotta work on my attitude...

Bike
    2016 GSXS 1000F
    Blog Entries
    The book I ordered from Amazon arrived today. I have skimmed through the book and am impressed by the layout, presentation and use of diagrams to illustrate points made. Nice - now time to start reading.
    Reminder to self and others: reading the book alone will not make one a better rider. This is a textbook for those taking a course.
    Here for the ride.

Bike
    vulcanNomad
    Since a few seem to be ordering the book it would be great if we could start some sensible dialog around the information and techniques in the book, without the thread falling into a slanging match or a battle of the heroic keyboarders.
    On KB I constantly see reference to cornering skills or the lack there of, one of the points highlighted in yellow throughout the book is the following - pretty fundamental really but here goes:

Never ride so fast that you cannot stop comfortably on your own side of the road within the distance you can see is clear.

I commented about this in another thread and basically got told that racing up to a corner or crest in a hill and slowing to 30km's will piss people off, I don't read it as that but I do see it as perhaps not going over the crest at 130km rather 90 or whatever, likewise entering a corner such that you can stop or at least slow to a speed that serious injury or death is not the likely outcome if theres a cow or some gravel on the road.
    The book is an interesting read, the practicing of techniques mentioned won't have you riding better overnight, but will certainly give you food for thought as you do ride. I would like to follow this up with some advanced training by someone who uses the book as the basis for same.
    Don't judge me based upon your ignorance.

Bike
    R1150RT
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phill-k View Post
    Since a few seem to be ordering the book it would be great if we could start some sensible dialog around the information and techniques in the book, without the thread falling into a slanging match or a battle of the heroic keyboarders.
    On KB I constantly see reference to cornering skills or the lack there of, one of the points highlighted in yellow throughout the book is the following - pretty fundamental really but here goes:

Never ride so fast that you cannot stop comfortably on your own side of the road within the distance you can see is clear.

I commented about this in another thread and basically got told that racing up to a corner or crest in a hill and slowing to 30km's will piss people off, I don't read it as that but I do see it as perhaps not going over the crest at 130km rather 90 or whatever, likewise entering a corner such that you can stop or at least slow to a speed that serious injury or death is not the likely outcome if theres a cow or some gravel on the road.
    The book is an interesting read, the practicing of techniques mentioned won't have you riding better overnight, but will certainly give you food for thought as you do ride. I would like to follow this up with some advanced training by someone who uses the book as the basis for same.
    A lot of the above is not limited to motorbike riding and could be considered good defensive driving practice whatever conveyance is involved. The most important part is the bit between the ears, or to paraphrase the old adage Attitude,Attitude,Attitude.

Bike
    Honda St1300

IAM in New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by sinned View Post
    Thanks for this book recommendation; I have ordered from Amazon - it is on back order. A zillion years ago I did the Institute of Advanced Motorists driving program, got the cert but more importantly developed skills which have helped to keep me alive and enjoy driving. If only the equivalent motorcycle riding program was available in NZ?
    It is....http://www.nz-iam.org.nz

Bike
    2001 kawasaki 750
    A+ Thanks for spending your time to help ... wish i'd read sooner

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Refreshing to see this thread. Makes a change from advocating Keith Code's bibles. Read those too, but Roadcraft has affected my riding way more than those.

Interested to see some debate about the System, positioning, observational skills and so on....

Bike
    Sportster
    Blog Entries
    ordered this from amazon a couple of days ago, my wife had a book order coming over - she does that LOL.

Bike
    2000 Aprilia RSV Mille,
    Just read it. ChCh library has a (at least) copy

No OMG stuff here. Just lots of common sense. Head should control throttle not groin

Bike
    Sportster
    Blog Entries
    funny how rare common sense actually is.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by schrodingers cat View Post
    No OMG stuff here. Just lots of common sense. Head should control throttle not groin
    Head should not control groin?

Bike
    2008 Suzuki VL250
    Quote Originally Posted by wysper View Post
    My friends & I have just started calling it 'rare sense' now ... bit of an inside joke.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki VL250
    Quote Originally Posted by wysper View Post
    My friends & I have just started calling it 'rare sense' now ... bit of an inside joke.

Bike
    Nada
    But wait....is there more?

Thread Information