Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jetting advice - VM29ss on a FXR150?

Bike
    I just lost count

Jetting advice - VM29ss on a FXR150?

Well I tried posting this in the mechanical portion of the site but apears no one knows shit, so thought I might chance my luck here; below is what I posted last night.

Ok I have taken a VM29ss with an accelerator pump and intend on using it on my FXR150. It is the first time I have really started from scratch with a carb on a buke so just looking for a bit of advice.

Put it on the bike and put in a 130 jet based on not really to much.

The bike started fine and idled not to bad, when I jumped on the throttle the engine would bog heavely and basicaly die. If I slowly creapt past that point and then rolled on it would rev strong through the remainder of the rev range.

Now what would be causing this bogging? I suspect either the piolet jet or the neddle position but I am only really guessing.

I did play a bit with the fuel mixture screw, but it didnt seem to make any difference to the problem.

Another observation I made was when I pulled the carb off there seemed to be very wet in the inlet manifold with fuel. To bigger main jet maybe?

Advice welcolmed.

Further to this I have had a bit more of a play tonight and have come to the conclusion that I am getting a heap of spit back through the carb so really need to have a look at my float levels, also went down to a 120 main jet and it seemed to make bugger all difference (actually the smallest I tried was a 90 main jet and it was well lean but but still spitting fuel)

Anyone got anything to comment on?

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    Bit of guesswork here but I'd try a smaller pilot in the first instance and try and turn down the pumper to start with. Possibly turn it off if you can, one less variable to worry about.

Bike
    cbr,streetstocker
    if you had any common sense you'd get fuel injection
    The Head of Kiwibikers Streetstock movement

Bike
    '09 DR-Z400SM
    Quote Originally Posted by Henk View Post
    ...and try and turn down the pumper to start with. Possibly turn it off if you can, one less variable to worry about.
    Yeah if problem is only when you "jump" on the throttle as you say, it's probably the pumper, that's the only time pump comes into play, delivering a big fat squirt because the fuel flow has slowed and won't get back up to speed for a little while. I've only ever been told about them in their 4 wheeled application, where the fuel flow is higher, but I imagine it applies in a similar fashion, and the old 150 aint exactly a guzzler, doesn't need that big squirt to compensate for having to wait for the fuel to start flowing again, so it's just drowning the engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Headbanger View Post
    If I didn't have to answer to the wife and provide a certain level of comfort for the kids, I'd sell our house, buy a shed, fill it with toys, and live in the shed along side all my wicked shit.

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by Henk View Post
    Bit of guesswork here but I'd try a smaller pilot in the first instance and try and turn down the pumper to start with. Possibly turn it off if you can, one less variable to worry about.
    What he said. Also mark your throttle so you know where exactly the problem starts and finishes on throttle position. People use tape, I use paint as I am always playing with the carb. If its not the pump it may be needle as it sounds like you were about 1/2 throttle. I would tune back from the main jet. Get that sorted first then look at the needle. This may help http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/vmmanual.pdf. Also what sort of filter are you running not running? If it revs strong above 1/2 throttle you are in a good place.

Bike
    FXR150 Bucket, RM125
    Not sure if this carb will work the same as mine but I am pretty positive it will.... the pumper only works when you wind the throttle on quickly - mostly from no throttle to full pin. The faster you wind the throttle, the more aggressive the squirt will be. It will only send 1 quick squirt of fuel. If you are being careful with winding the throttle on slowly, it's unlikely to do anything. But turn it off while testing for now just in case it's a tad faulty and leaks (this could be causing the dampness). Once your carb is jetted properly all the pumper will help do is give you a quicker throttle response, so tune that to work later as it should be a relatively easy job (.....in theory).

Bike
    I just lost count
    Cheers guys, some more things to have a look at tonight.

Rich I havent been running a filter while I have been playing around because I have wanted to see what was happening at the mouth of the carb.

Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    you might find that carb is too big and the signal strength is weak

I use a 28 on my CR250 as the tracks are tight

disable the pumper , go lean and try if if still shows signs of bogging , try smaller carb

Stephen
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    I just lost count
    Thanks Stephen, it was a 29mm that came off there so figure I cant be too wrong puting a 29mm back on

Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    miWhodeXD
    Hi Pumba. I have exactly the same issue with an XR400 carb on my little FXR150. I tried changing all the jets and settings but found no solution. As Richban says "If it revs strong above 1/2 throttle you are in a good place". I therefore chose to control my right hand and ease the throttle at low revs but try to keep the revs up where possible. I suspect it is the slide cut-away that needs to change or else the carb may be too big (someone suggested to me). I can't easily experiment with slide cut-aways so chose to leave it and live with it for the time being. If you find a solution, I'm all ears. The pump is therefore probably not the problem - my XR400 carb does not have a pump.

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    Cheers guys, some more things to have a look at tonight.

Rich I havent been running a filter while I have been playing around because I have wanted to see what was happening at the mouth of the carb.
    Yeh thats a good idea. I have found that any filter be it Pod, Mesh or Airbox element, strangles my engine. Still airbox works good for me, and others. Also should give you really reliable jet readings.

Bike
    I just lost count
    Well spent some more time playing in the shed tonight, I disabled the pump and there was no change so I think we can eliminate that for the moment. Changed the needle valve for a new one, and checked the float level, no change in performace. Droped the neddle and it ran worse, well at least somthing changed. Ifter talking with a few people the posiblity of having to much air, so I covered up half the intake and it seemed to improve things a little. It is still spitting a shit load of fuel back out the carb. Time to have a think about the implications of all this and go again tomorrow night.

Interesting that you are having the same problems Damien, if I find any solutions will defently share. I know what you are saying about the cutaway, but is the amount of fuel mine seems to be spitting at full throttle that makes think although it may be contributing that somthing else aint right.

Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    miWhodeXD
    Yes, I agree, I have my airbox still in place with a thin open foam piece to minimise restrictions and still keep rough dirt out.

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Jeez i checked and it is indeed a 29 carb , for a 150 engine !

What are your plugs like at differing rpm , black sooty , cold? or lean white ?

is the Airbox in place ?

All valves sealing and ignition working ok?

if it ran better when you put hand over inlet , suggest lean , try using the choke as a make it richer device , if it does throughout the rev range then thee is your answer

Stephen

the spitting back , making me think
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    I just lost count
    Havent pulled the plug (probally should though and see how it looks)

Valves should be all good the engine has just gone back togeather with all the clearances done.

I have been using the choke, helps to bring it above the bogging point before reving through to full throttle.

Pumba is a wise man.

Thread Information