Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to buckets (A few questions)

Bike
    Hyosung GT250R 2007

New to buckets (A few questions)

Hi my name is Tim im from errr Tawa. I am currently studying engineering at the university of canterbury and am interested in buckets. I have no idea where to begin or where such events are held around Christchurch if anyone could let me know when one is coming up id love to come watch. Im on my restricted licence and ride a GT250R. I'm thinking of selling this and buying an FXR to race. Ive read the rules on two strokes vs 4 strokes and see the FXR150 as a good option. Can anyone offer their opinion on this??? Is there a cheaper bike that is a better starting point.

Any help would be great...
    Tim

Bike
    CBR, RGV Racer, Bucket
    Hi Tim from Tawa,

Bucket racing has really taken off in Chch lately and there's heaps of us doing it. We usually race at Ruapuna or Levels in Timaru. The next race meet isn't for a few weeks though (22nd & 23rd of May at Ruapuna)

The FXR is definitely a good choice as there's even a MOTOFXR series on down here. Take a look at www.fxr150.co.nz to get an idea.

Also the local bucket racing club (the BMRC) can be found here: www.bmrc.co.nz

Bike
    DRZ MOTARD, BUCKET RACER
    Their are cheaper bikes, all depends on how mechanicly minded and how much time you have to piss round with development etc etc Its wellington Round 1 this weekend head out to the kart track and have a gander and talk shit with the boys and girls there would be a good start

Bike
    Hyosung GT250R 2007
    Thanks guys. I'm up in welly at the moment until the 22nd of april (Uni Holidays) So I should be able to make it this weekend. The internet says Kaitoke for round 1 I assume this is what you mean. I should also be able to make the 22nd and 23rd at ruapuna. I am 6'3 - 6'4 which I probably should have mentioned, will this matter on a FXR. I have enough spare time to do developments etc but i am wondering about reliability.... I dont want to be fixing it every weekend...

Bike
    03 Tuono Racing,MotoFXR F4,DT175
    Quote Originally Posted by TimFromTawa View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm up in welly at the moment until the 22nd of april (Uni Holidays) So I should be able to make it this weekend. The internet says Kaitoke for round 1 I assume this is what you mean. I should also be able to make the 22nd and 23rd at ruapuna. I am 6'3 - 6'4 which I probably should have mentioned, will this matter on a FXR. I have enough spare time to do developments etc but i am wondering about reliability.... I dont want to be fixing it every weekend...
    Lol! there are some substantial bucket riders & some petite ones.....height is not an issue - really!you just have to get down on the tank & keep low!

IMHO if the mighty FXRs were not as reliable as they are I wouldnt be bucket racing...

once you have got the bike sorted & race ready,its just a case of getting to the track,check tyre pressures,fuel up & your racing!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeteey View Post
    You're very welcome darling. I do maintain that you could ride a rock and it would go quick!

Bike
    Hornet 900
    The internet says Kaitoke for round 1 I assume this is what you mean.
    Yep, racing this Sunday, come along and check it out.
    There are a few FXR's in Wellington now, but there are lots of other options. As others have said it depends on what you are wanting to do (bike building wise) and spend.

Bike
    FXR150 Bucket, RM125
    Come to Kaitoke this weekend then if you are up this way. It is an amazing track and there should be some really good racing to watch. The weather is looking really good so far too. The FXR is a damn reliable bucket if you ask me. From what I have seen and experienced, a stock standard one is tooootally fine to begin with and learn heaps and have heaps of fun on. Of course it's gonna be a bit cramped for just about anyone but hey... that's buckets! My FXR is an ugly beat up piece of junk but it goes hard and is pretty much stock. Doesn't break down and just keeps on chugging on. Go for it mate, a chance to go as hard out as you want - can't do that on the road!

Bike
    Husky TE310, 2 Buckets and a ZXR250C
    Don't worry about your height, its just another excuse for not going fast enough, were it really doesn't make a huge difference!

Come up to Kaitoke this sunday for a looksie. 10 - 11am would be a good time, to head up =).

Bike
    Several
    Ruapuna and Kaitoke are totally different tracks and the game changes alot between them so do bear that in mind.

It's quite cool and exciting to have so much scope in bucket tracks.
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    Ive read the rules on two strokes vs 4 strokes and see the FXR150 as a good option. Can anyone offer their opinion on this??? Is there a cheaper bike that is a better starting point.

Any help would be great...
    Tim
    HI Tim and welcome to the daily meating of Buckets AA
    sorry to hear that you have this addiction.

an FXR is a great entry level bike (that also can be made into a great frount runner without much cost)

you dont need to do much at all to get the fxr up and running (strip it bear and fit tyres)
    and then you dont need to do much to make it fast (new carb and bigger rims tyres)

anything els is a bit of dicking around (specialy those 2 strokes. But they are faster . read the E.S.E thread to see what I mean )

remember to have fun (you can still win on a $250 cb125 single. if you are good and lucky)

best bet is to go down with what gear you have and beg borrow or steal a bike to try out ( get as meany as you can to ride )
    these guys a just like junkies (quite willing to get you hooked any way they can )

see you next time you are in auckland or at the TRRS ( every good bucket racer goes on a pilgramige once a year to the TRRS. and even some from the south Island come as well )
    "Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion on how to install it" Tim Taylor of "Tool Time"
    “Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know.” - Cullen Hightower

Bike
    Hyosung GT250R 2007
    What are other good bike options?? I dont see many of them on trademe. I was planning on buying an FXR 2nd hand and keep it road legal for a bit until I find a way to get it from uni to the track. Then start stripping those useless parts... What is the TRRS i havent heard of it before?

I also have questions on gear. I have a good helmet, boots and gloves as well as good fabric gear, a leather jacket and kevlar jeans. But i dont have 1 peice leather or 2 peice zip together. Is this a big problem? can anyone suggest a cheap way to get my hands on something... its hard to find the right size I tried on a 1 peice in leather direct and was a 4XL and its not like im fat.. shoulder size seems to be an issue with the 1 peices.

Bike
    What are other good bike options?? I dont see many of them on trademe. I was planning on buying an FXR 2nd hand and keep it road legal for a bit until I find a way to get it from uni to the track. Then start stripping those useless parts... What is the TRRS i havent heard of it before?

I also have questions on gear. I have a good helmet, boots and gloves as well as good fabric gear, a leather jacket and kevlar jeans. But i dont have 1 peice leather or 2 peice zip together. Is this a big problem? can anyone suggest a cheap way to get my hands on something... its hard to find the right size I tried on a 1 peice in leather direct and was a 4XL and its not like im fat.. shoulder size seems to be an issue with the 1 peices.
    Dusty of Leda leathers(stokes valley) is a good option and prices are sharp compared to ones at the shop and since theyre made to measure theyre gonna fit.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    What are other good bike options?? ............What is the TRRS i havent heard of it before?
    FXR's are the best entry level (and competitive) bike for buckets at the moment.

TRRS.... is the Taupo Road Race Spectacular, two day meet, starts the day after boxing day and is the biggie for buckets in the North Island.

BOB......is the Battle of Buckets and the biggie in the South Island, I hope to get to it one day.

Bike
    Hornet 900
    its hard to find the right size I tried on a 1 peice in leather direct and was a 4XL and its not like im fat.. shoulder size seems to be an issue with the 1 peices.
    I have found a 1 piece will often feel really tight when standing upright. When on the bike it's not so bad. New ones will stretch a little as well.
    So make sure when trying them on to sit on a bike.

Bike
    Husky TE310, 2 Buckets and a ZXR250C

Either buy a cheap 1 piece for 100 odd or possibly look into getting zips put on? Not sure if anyones actually done this!

Thread Information