Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glowing red header pipe

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    Was this at night time outside? My WR glows at night but it looks normal in daylight.
    +1

My KLX did it, was really obvious in tight stuff at night. And you should see the Buell at low speeds at night...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by 03rm250 View Post
    right.. have checked the clearences if sitting on bike.

exhuast; left is .005. right is .005.
    intake; left is .003 right is .004.

acording to this website
    http://crfsonly.com/howto/crf250x/cr...adjustment.php

the exhaust should be .011 and intake should be .005.

would this be the cause, or do these seam ok
    Well, as your EXH valves should be 0.011 then what is hapening is that they are actually warming up and staying open!
    This means that fuel is being burnt in the headder pipe, making it glow......
    As mentioned will stuff your EXH valves in no time.

If anything if you ride it hard then the clearence should be BIGGER than 0.011, not smaller.

Bike
    KTM 950SM, '78 X7, FZ750, GN250
    Take it to someone who knows what they're actually doing. The internet can only do so much.

Bike
    Crashed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    Well, as your EXH valves should be 0.011 then what is hapening is that they are actually warming up and staying open!
    This means that fuel is being burnt in the headder pipe, making it glow......
    As mentioned will stuff your EXH valves in no time.

If anything if you ride it hard then the clearence should be BIGGER than 0.011, not smaller.
    What he said. And it's always better a little loose than a little tight (at least for valve clearances, anyway...).
    If it wasn't for a concise set of rules, we might have to resort to common sense!

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    With the exhaust being really hot, and the backfiring, it sounds like it's really lean - possibly an air leak.
    wot 'e said...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    03 rm250
    Right , rang the honda shop from were i got the bike from aparenlty they are ment to do that, but im not convinced as it is a hard to start.
    its going into the shop on monday.

Bike
    cbr900
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    I'm not so sure a rich mixture will heat the header pipe that badly that quicly.
    I left the choke on while I nipped back into the house to check something on my wr250, would have been about 1 1/2 minutes when I came back, the header was glowing red, flicked choke off and it stopped glowing.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAPLIN View Post
    I left the choke on while I nipped back into the house to check something on my wr250, would have been about 1 1/2 minutes when I came back, the header was glowing red, flicked choke off and it stopped glowing.
    Yeah, but you'd probably find the same thing if you left it there on a fast idle without the choke on too mate. Don't think it's due to the rich mixture...as I first said...tight valve!

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Retarded timing will do it easily, check it.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    zx12
    I want to run red-hot exhaust pipes. Please find out what's the problem then tell us all how to emulate it. That is all.

Bike
    KTM 525 exc /Husaberg FE 450 E/ CB 125 T
    Blog Entries
    Top end rebuild another MX 250 bites the dust .

Bike
    2001 DucatiST4s 2007 aprilia sxv550
    Here are a couple of thread replies from the aprilia forum about the glowing headers.

My sxv 5.5 does it when first started if run on 1/3 throttle for a while, if I blip the throttle and vary the reves it does it less, no real big issue at all, it doesnt do it at WOT.

Rich fueling dramatically reduced the combustion temp...resulting in very little pipe glowing. Liht throttle setting will allow more air to back flow in the exhaust and this does tend to light off unburned mixtture in pipes but still adding a richer fuel mix will about always result in lower exhaust gas temps and much less visible color in the pipes.

It is funny but true...pretty much all bikes will do this. I see it on the dyno every day but to differing degrees. I have even managed to get a two stroke expansion chamber this hot...the whole thing bright red and alive from header to stinger so yes, it is normal-ish.

This is the part about varying degrees. Under about 2% CO at light throttle is where the most color will be visible. Always on twins, the rear header looks to be glowing brighter (at least on the dyno and on the road) since it get far less air cooling being all shrouded in parts back there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	burn..jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	205657   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3220..JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	205658  

Bike
    wicked. that looks almost molten!
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Don't argue with the pigs, man. They'll tap your phones and steal your weed and make your old lady do things she won't do for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Sexually transmitted diseases are one thing, sexually affected carnage is something else entirely. Ladies, if his cock's that small that he's prepared to put you at risk for a root, look elsewhere. Seriously.

Thread Information