Thread: A sunny day in autumn

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries

A sunny day in autumn

Went for a great ride today

http://tinyurl.com/y5crojn

Headed down my street, that got dug up last Friday, and hasn't been touched since. There are roads in better condition in Helmand province, I'm sure.

Hit SH 32 with the sun shining down between the pine trees either side, and rolling through the twisties. Really loving these new tyres, they make a huge difference to the way the bike handles overall. Got stuck behind some kind of dump truck thing that was pootling along at 80 km/h, and with the combo of blind corners, oncoming logging trucks, and rows odf white crosses, I decided that 80 km/h would have to do for now. A little frustrating because the run down to Whakamaru dam in this weather is awesome!

Got stopped by the STMS dudes, because somebody was cutting down pine trees right next to the road. Sat there for a bit, watched the big trees go over T--I--M--B--E--R. A smile from the lollipop girl, and a quick thumbs up back from me and we were off again. Got to a straight-ish bit, and slid by the dump truck thing, saw several more of the same type from the same company coming in the opposite direction too.

Turned off at Poihipi road, another road that's less travelled, but has some great views and a good mix of straight & twisty bits. It leads in to Taupo past Acacia Bay. It seems that every time I go to Taupo I find cage drivers that are, to put it bluntly, either blind, stupid, or both. Today was no exception.

Headed to the Zuki dealer for a bit of a browse, nice selection of helmets, plenty of cordura, FA leather. Sweet looking DR 650 on the floor. Fuelled up, did a wee ride along the lakefront, then about-faced and outta town on SH1.

Did I mention my new tyres? The bike just seems to keep handling better and better. Perhaps I should get the suspension looked at by an expert too, because if I could improve the handling by the same percentage again, I'd be stoked

Decided to make a hard right off SH1 onto Palmer Mill rd, across to SH5. Somehow when I had looked at this road on google maps earlier it seemed like it should be longer. Never mind - it was a fun road, with long sweeping corners and no traffic.

SH 5 and North again to the Mihi bridge, and time for a switchback along Tutukau road. SH5 was plenty busy and at one point I did kinda squid past nanna in her big floppy bonnet, but slowed back again as soon as I was past

Tutukau road follows the Waikato river off SH5 and some of the corners are quite tight in places. There were plenty of trees by the river in blazing reds & oranges that looked bloody spectacular.

Rode past the turn off to Orakei Korako (and the nudey camp) and on to SH1. The ride up SH1 was the usual fare, and pleasantly uneventful.

Google maps reckons 188 kms or so, not bad for a Wednesday arvo. I was grinning for most of the way!
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    GL1800
    Good wee ride Mate and nicely written up too - cheers for sharing.

You must be based somewhere not too far from me when I'm back in NZ. Will flick you a PM on that.

Cheers

Shafty
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    BMW R1200RT
    Thanks Smifffy - Sounds like a great ride and thats what it's all about. Nice part of the country you have there.
    Ride it until the wheels fall off...

Thread Information