Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-leather boots?

Bike
    2004 DL650 VStrom

Non-leather boots?

I know you will all laugh at me and ridicule me, but I am vegetarian and am opposed to using leather. I was wondering if anybody knows of any motorcycle boots and/or gloves that arn't made of leather? It's easy enough to get non-leather pants and jackets but I havnt been able to find reasonably priced boots or gloves.

Any help would be much appriciated.
    Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed to so few by so many cheese eating surrender monkeys.
    (Winston Churchill on the French.)

Bike
    GSXR1000
    How do you feel about Kangaroos?

Bike
    2004 DL650 VStrom
    They're animals arnt they?
    Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed to so few by so many cheese eating surrender monkeys.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    But they're Australian.

Bike
    zx6ixxer
    A quick search seems to indicate that Sidi make vegan friendly motorcycle boots. Have you tried searching google for non-leather boots? There's quite a few hits. If you can get the make and model of a type of boot you might be able to find a NZ stockist, or a shop might be able to bring some in.

EDIT: look for boots made of lorica

Bike
    2004 DL650 VStrom
    Cool, thank you

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Would cardboard be OK?

On a more serious note: Just curious here. What about if the leather came from a cow that had died of old age rather than in an abattoir? Would that make a difference to how you felt about leather boots? (Serious question BTW.)
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Superduke 990
    Quote Originally Posted by www.bebenroth.com/vegan motorcyclist/gearguide.html
    Boots
    I ride both on-road and off-road and both require very different boots. There is a much greater slection of on-road boots thebn off-road boots but luckily there are both. One thing is that almost all of the higher-end racing boots are made out of promarily synethic leather but some do have leather parts, but not all.

Alpinestars currently does not make nay vegan boots, but in an email they acknowledged "We understand this is an important issue so it is possible that there will be leather-free gloves in boots in the near future." If they do change their lineup I will post it here.

Sidi makes a lot of vegan boots made from Lorica, though most of their vegan boots are more of a racer, than a cruiser style. The following boots are vegan Strada Evo Te-Por, Strada Evo-Air, Sport Te-Por (bit less racy looking), Way Te-Por, Way Te-Por Mega (available in wide sizes), Scorpion Air (short sneaker style boot), Champion Air, their entire line of racing boots are vegan and can be seen here http://www.motonation.com/sidistreetracing.htm. Amazingly Sidi also make two vegan bots designed and sized for women Jasmine Te-Por, and the B2 Ladies.
    The 2006 Sidi Force SRS are vegan and a high quality MX boot. They are still available from a few sources, I just purchased mine from Rocky Moto.
    Joe Rocket currently does not make any vegan boots

Oxtar appears to make some vegan boots, but have not replied to my email to confirm they do yet.
    Setup boots are supposed to be made at the same factory as Sidi but are a lower cost alternative. They d make a few vegan boots and may be the highest quality lower cost motorcycle boot line out there. There Vision is a nice no frills race boot, and their Sunrise boot is a nice all-around riding/touring boot.

Alt-berg is a U.K. boot maker who makes custom boots that are supposed to be of a very high quality. Though they do not offer the protection of some of the motorcycle specific boots, they appear to be very sturdy. According to their website they make vegan boots for an additional 25%. Click here for a list of their motorcycle boots.

Vegetarian Shoes makes a 14 Eye Boot, an Engineer boot, and a Paraboot which are all available from Mooshoes in the U.S. I do not recommend any of these for riding protection, they will offer minimal protection but I would count them as true motorcycle boots.

Scott vegan motocross boot Scott Genius. They often some serious protection and do so at a high dollar cost.
    Should be a good starting point.

WELLINGTON: Tag-o-rama

Bike
    2004 DL650 VStrom
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Would cardboard be OK?

On a more serious note: Just curious here. What about if the leather came from a cow that had died of old age rather than in an abattoir? Would that make a difference to how you felt about leather boots? (Serious question BTW.)
    I guess so, but i don't know if thats possible. The boots I have at the moment are second hand (came with my bike) so hopefully they'll last a while.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazman727 View Post
    I guess so, but i don't know if thats possible. The boots I have at the moment are second hand (came with my bike) so hopefully they'll last a while.
    It's a difficult choice I think. Seems a pity to waste resources that are lying around (like dead cows f'rinstance). But I do take your point about farmed animules, abattoirs etc. Not my own personal choice, but you are free to make your choices as you see fit and you will get no opposition from me.

The Lorica boots sound pretty good from what I have found just now from a brief search. Might be the way to go. IF you can find 'em...bound to be available online if not retail in NZ...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    2004 DL650 VStrom
    Sweet, thanks for the advice.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by grusomhat View Post
    vegan friendly motorcycle boots.
    Now there's a though....

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Actually, an increasing number of boots are made from synthetics, possibly because it's easier, and they're easier to waterproof? The Lorica ones are hard to tell from leather.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2008 yamaha bw
    Good on you for having morals and sticking to them. A while ago Moto cross boots were plastic. Perhaps try an off road shop........Seeya Mike Wilson owner Jet Leathers 068787949

Bike
    Hey Spazman - look on trademe at motorbike boots and type in synthetic leather and there are cool looking road boots as well as MX boots - prices on the road boots are good too - I noticed a few the other day when looking for road racing style boots

Thread Information