Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Standard on-bike signals

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyegasm View Post
    Nah, they are just faster pedestrians.

Having a universal hand signal system would be cool, but most of the time it comes down to common sense in interpreting some signals. Although I am boggled about pointing at the tank, I would take that as "I need to fill up" yet that wouldn't concern me.
    It might concern you if you were riding with mates, and one of them needed fuel. Otherwise you might start to wonder where they got to.
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    In practice, pointing at tank means 'we need to stop at the next gas station'. Usually, for fuel, but culd be 'I need a piss', or 'I need a pie'

Not so common now as it used to be, but worth knowing, arm stretched out full length ahead, palm open and upward, pushing away (like pushing someone away from you), means 'STOP. NOW. There are BAD things ahead'. Stop. Now. or, at least slow RIGHT down. There are bad things ahead of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    1996 Honda CB250F Hornet
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    In practice, pointing at tank means 'we need to stop at the next gas station'. Usually, for fuel, but culd be 'I need a piss', or 'I need a pie'

Not so common now as it used to be, but worth knowing, arm stretched out full length ahead, palm open and upward, pushing away (like pushing someone away from you), means 'STOP. NOW. There are BAD things ahead'. Stop. Now. or, at least slow RIGHT down. There are bad things ahead of you.
    That's not a bad idea actually. It would be useful if you come to a dead end (a road closure) and you turn back the way you came from to let other riders know that they might as well turn around.

Thanks again Ixion.

Bike
    1996 Honda CB250F Hornet
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyegasm View Post
    Nah, they are just faster pedestrians.
    Although I am boggled about pointing at the tank, I would take that as "I need to fill up" yet that wouldn't concern me.
    It's funny you should say that, because that's exactly what I was thinking just after. Then I thought he or she might be getting me to fill up because they could read other bikes fuel levels with there mind, and was just be thoughtful to remind me. Now that's a very random super power to have, 'I can read fuel level instruments on coming motorcycles' 'What about cars?' 'Nope just motorbikes'.

Thread Information