Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Race start technique?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    It's funny you should show that. I always used to be pretty shit hot on starts (though recently my 50's carb would flood screwing things up). However on my numerous visits to Mt Wgtn over the year I have noticed a predominant trend. They're by & large a bunch of cheating weasels. Problem is JC doesn't call anyone on it. Last F5 GP there people just launched well before the flag. It was soo blatant that I didn't even let the lever out, just sat on the line expecting it to be called. Won't make that mistake again.

With inexperienced starters they are a bit nervous & when the bikes start moving they panic & drop the flag. What they should do is hold the red up, move the jumpers to the rear & repeat until that sort of stuff stops. In MX they often face repeat offenders the wrong direction so they have to foot rotate to get going. Bit cruel on a road bike.

But we should make it fair starts. No one benefits in the long run from cheat starts.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    In MX they often face repeat offenders the wrong direction so they have to foot rotate to get going. Bit cruel on a road bike.
    Cant say Ive seen that at an mx, usually they drop the gate as the person thats tried to jump the start is pushing themsleves out from the gate, they let everyone else go or another way to get a good start at mx is but as far back as possible to get a roll going on and drop the clutch but it'll be only a matter of time before you get found out!

As for getting better starts at buckets, a dirt bike somewhere with a mate and practice the starts , and then apply what you learnt to the bucket.

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    Problem is JC doesn't call anyone on it. Last F5 GP there people just launched well before the flag. It was soo blatant that I didn't even let the lever out, just sat on the line expecting it to be called. Won't make that mistake again.

bit sore there i see lol (dont blame you )
    JC often waits till the jump starter is pushing the bike backwards to drop the flag (shood see dads face while trying to let the clutch out and push the bike backwards, it goes all red )
    "Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion on how to install it" Tim Taylor of "Tool Time"
    “Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know.” - Cullen Hightower

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Yep, in the early days I got caught a few times when I was new and a bit quick.

John would hold the flag up and wait until the miscreant started to peddle their bike back to the line, when he judges they are committed to going backwards he drops the flag. Everyone else goes forwards while the start jumper is still going backwards, and justice has been done.

Now that I have had a bit of practice I can now make real clean legal starts, and when the engine is crisp I am often able to be into the corner first, or at least shoulder to shoulder with the first two or three. And could often do this from the second row and even pull it off from the third if I was grided on the outside.

Then its all down hill from there as the more talented riders start overtaking me, still there is an upside, as I get to see some real quality riding close up as the fast guns zip past.

Bike
    07 fz6n. 07cbarrrr600
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckets4Me View Post
    JC often waits till the jump starter is pushing the bike backwards to drop the flag (shood see dads face while trying to let the clutch out and push the bike backwards, it goes all red )
    Had a guy at the last round of the classics register in my race, who was 2-3 bike lengths ahead before the flag even started to come down, how are you meant to outdo that without cheating more than he does ?

It's rubbish really.
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    Fkn crack up. Most awkward interviewee ever i reckon haha.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by gatch View Post
    Had a guy at the last round of the classics register in my race, who was 2-3 bike lengths ahead before the flag even started to come down, how are you meant to outdo that without cheating more than he does ?

It's rubbish really.
    You can't.............

My aim at flag drop, is to be engaging the clutch while others are just waking up and engaging their brains. I think a lot of the others play follow the leader off the line and wait until the bunch has sorted itself out before they get their heads down and start racing, by then its to late.

They need a plan A and plan B, they should have an idea of where the gaps are likely to open up, and already have the bike pointed in that direction. You can't wait for the action to start unfolding before deciding which line to take.

Bike
    I think another no, no is blipping the throttle, as half the time your revving the engine and half the time your letting it shut down so there is a 50/50 chance you wont be ready when the flag drops.

A better idea is to hold the motor close to the peak torque rpm and when the flag drops all you have to do is crack the throttle wide open and slip the clutch to glory.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckets4Me View Post
    Yeah I know I'm trying to let it go, but I don't cheat the technical rules & I don't cheat the riding ones. If someone can beat me within the rules then it's a fair victory, but if they jump the start or try to knock you off or make a cheat bike then it's stink & they're just an arse. Fortunately most people have legal bikes these days.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post

you need a plan A and plan B, they should have an idea of where the gaps are likely to open up, and already have the bike pointed in that direction. You can't wait for the action to start unfolding before deciding which line to take.
    Plan A go straight everyone heads for the apex of the corner
    Plan B take to the grass. often the only clear space left on the track
    "Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion on how to install it" Tim Taylor of "Tool Time"
    “Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know.” - Cullen Hightower

Bike
    I don't cheat the technical rules............. If someone can beat me within the rules then it's a fair victory......
    Yep......I think the tech rules work ok and add a bit of an interesting challange.

I am especially enjoying finding ways to get the best out of the 24mm carb rule.

Bike
    RG Loncin Bucket, CD200 Benly
    Blog Entries
    I practice my reaction times when I'm driving through town. I don't take off in the truck as if I'm racing, but I call it in my head when the light goes green I say 'go' or 'now'. Good to practice at lights. I recon it's something that if you practice you can still get better at no matter what your age. Just don't drop the clutch when you're practicing!
    Gingas get life...Why don't murderers and rapists?!

RAG Racing

WFactor Racing 2010 - www.wfactor.org

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    Stop giving Pumba advice. Or at least wait until he is finishing well behind me instead of in front of me.

Mind you, my starts suck as well so carry on.
    I'm basically too much of a wimp to hold it on during the usual first corner chaos.

Bike
    I just lost count
    Haha ya bastard, dont me take that engine back.

All things to work on guys and I apreciate the advice. Durring the first corner I normally dont do to bad and can pick up a couple of places, which makes my slow starts even the more frustrating

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    RS/GP125
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    Haha ya bastard, dont me take that engine back.

All things to work on guys and I apreciate the advice. Durring the first corner I normally dont do to bad and can pick up a couple of places, which makes my slow starts even the more frustrating
    I feel for you Pumba. I get pretty frustrated with my ability or in-ability to get the RS off the line. On my day it can be real good but the start is everything at Mt Wellington. Gettting caught in the chaos completey ruins any chance of a good result.

Thread Information