Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GSR600 problems

Bike
    2007, Suzuki GSR600

GSR600 problems

Just had my bike serviced for 38000kms and had knn filter put in, but noticed going thru Akl traffic it cuts off shifting down from 4th - 3rd and 3rd - 2nd, this was only two days after having picked my bike up. Having problems isolating it as the mechanic cant seem to find what is going on. Its a GSR600 Suzuki. A suggestion would be that need to adjust knob on carb to at least 11000rpm - what do you think

Bike
    None - s'fucked
    11 thousand RPM? For Idle speed?

If all that's changed is the filter, that's where you'd want to start.

Is it the correct filter for your bike model/year? Does it fit in properly with no gaps around it? (do you still have the OEM one to compare it to?)
    Is it a straight replacement filter or does it need fueling changes?
    Do you have an aftermarket can on the bike? Did that require the fueling to be changed?
    Quote Originally Posted by rachprice View Post
    Jrandom, You are such a woman hating cunt, if you weren't such a misogynist bastard you might have a better luck with women!

Bike
    2003,Kawasaki ZX-9R
    What Mully said. Try refit the original and see if problem goes away.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    BUMP

Having exactly the same issue with my GSR. Mine is bog standard though and has been checked over by the local Suzuki mechanic with no joy. Also has pretty horrendous fuel 'economy' at 13.2 km/l (all commuting admittedly) . Anyone...?
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    06 Suzuki GSR600
    There shouldn't be carbs fitted to your bike so that won't be the issue.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    BUMP

Having exactly the same issue with my GSR. Mine is bog standard though and has been checked over by the local Suzuki mechanic with no joy. Also has pretty horrendous fuel 'economy' at 13.2 km/l (all commuting admittedly) . Anyone...?
    13.2km/l? Even my GSX-R600 does better than that...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    13.2km/l? Even my GSX-R600 does better than that...
    Yeah I know. My carburetted Bandit 600 was getting 17.5 km/l for the same commute. Sadness abounds. It'll be a brilliant bike if I can just get these issues fixed.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    My VTR 1000 does better than that. Just.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerchick38 View Post
    Just had my bike serviced for 38000kms and had knn filter put in, but noticed going thru Akl traffic it cuts off shifting down from 4th - 3rd and 3rd - 2nd, this was only two days after having picked my bike up. Having problems isolating it as the mechanic cant seem to find what is going on. Its a GSR600 Suzuki. A suggestion would be that need to adjust knob on carb to at least 11000rpm - what do you think
    what does k&n say about it?

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Does this model have a throttle position sensor? If so have your mechanic check it,We had the same problem with the first GSXR1000s when I was helping out Bernard racing,The same issue was evident on Stroudy and Shaun harris's machines, Turned out the throttle position sensor was sticking at 1/4 throttle for 6 secs and flooding the engine causing it to cut out, Would also explain the poor fuel consumption figures. Was a fairly simple fix, Peel back the sealing rubber and squirt some CRC in there, But it took us many hours to find the problem.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Does this model have a throttle position sensor? If so have your mechanic check it,We had the same problem with the first GSXR1000s when I was helping out Bernard racing,The same issue was evident on Stroudy and Shaun harris's machines, Turned out the throttle position sensor was sticking at 1/4 throttle for 6 secs and flooding the engine causing it to cut out, Would also explain the poor fuel consumption figures. Was a fairly simple fix, Peel back the sealing rubber and squirt some CRC in there, But it took us many hours to find the problem.
    It does but I think my problem is different. Your suggestion did lead me here though http://www.gsx1400.org/gsx1400_board...on-sensor-tps/ which is about fixing jerkiness at lower revs so thanks for that.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000s
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    It does but I think my problem is different. Your suggestion did lead me here though http://www.gsx1400.org/gsx1400_board...on-sensor-tps/ which is about fixing jerkiness at lower revs so thanks for that.
    And it works too!

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Ive read a bit about K&N filters not working well with some model bikes. Ive seen dyno runs somewhere on 900 Hornets where they get big dips in power with them.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Ive read a bit about K&N filters not working well with some model bikes. Ive seen dyno runs somewhere on 900 Hornets where they get big dips in power with them.
    Yep. Researching my problem I found reference to at least one other person having problems after fitting a K&N filter. Nothing against the filter of course but it must change the characteristics of the bike.

Bike
    Woo Hoo. For the future reference of anyone else who comes across this thread while researching their similar problem...

So today after internetty reasearch I got my bike back from the local dealer. As per my request they:
    -checked valve clearances and found four that needed new shims (still 3000km short of the normal service interval)
    -balanced the throttle bodies
    -checked (and reset) the throttle body mixture to factory standard

...and it feels like a new bike! I knew as soon as I started it that we'd cracked it as it settled straight into a nice smooth idle. Runs super smooth now right through the rev range (and I really mean low revs rather than high). Now I've just got to wait until my next gas-up top see if it's fixed the main problem ... the fuel consumption.

Thread Information