Thread: Suzuki GN250E Mystery

Bike
    None

Question Suzuki GN250E Mystery

Hi guys,

Recently I have been having a problem with getting my little Suzuki GN to start. My dad thought It was a problem with the battery, we charged it up using the van.
    My dad asked my to start the motorcycle, I turned it on but It still wouldn't go. I made sure that the kill switch was off, I pulled the choke, pushed on the eletric start button and turned the throttle, the engine made the usual sound it makes but then It died, I tried several times to get it going without luck.
    My dad asked me if the spark plug was in, he had a look and it all seemed ok, (I don't even know where the spark plug is on my motorcycle)

Note: I did give my motorcycle a wash about a week ago (I don't know if this had any effect on the motorcycle) but the engine went started smoothly after I left the gears to dry for a few hours in the shade.

Any idea's on what the problem might be?

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Just one little thing, if you have the choke out do not use throttle as well. You will likely flood it if you do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Sounds like the battery is stuffed. Try connecting to the van again and try to start it.

It's really important not to run the van engine while the bike is connected to it, or else you will damage the bike regulator.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    None - s'fucked
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    It's really important not to run the van engine while the bike is connected to it, or else you will damage the bike regulator.
    Really??

Shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by rachprice View Post
    Jrandom, You are such a woman hating cunt, if you weren't such a misogynist bastard you might have a better luck with women!

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    Is is firing (you'll hear it crank quicker as the motor is trying to start), or just turning over without any ignition? (useful to determine whether a fueling or electrical problem. Of course just cranking could be fueling AND electrical problems combined - but unusal for both to fail at the same time)

When did you last start it / run it and what happened when you finished? (could be water has got into the electrics stopping it from firing)

Have you let the tank run completely empty / out of fuel? - could be a blocked fuel filter (if there was any rust / gunge in the tank). I'm not sure how you check a carburettor bike for fuel flow.

You could remove the spark plug and whilst still on the lead, ground the tip to the engine and watch for a spark? It's still safe to do that, right people?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    Sounds like the battery is stuffed. Try connecting to the van again and try to start it.

Steve
    Thanks for that peice of information.
    Iv'e charged up the battery twice though with the van's engine running.
    I really hope I haven't stuffed the battery.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotkebab View Post
    Iv'e charged up the battery twice though with the van's engine running.
    I really hope I haven't stuffed the battery.
    It won't hurt the bike battery, but it has the potential to damage the bikes' regulator/rectifier unit (little finned square silver or black thing with wires coming out of it.)

There's not much you can do to hurt the battery.

Try connecting the bike to the van (without starting the van) and then try starting the bike. If it starts perfectly well, then leave the bike running and disconnect the van - the bike should stay running. Stop the bike engine and try restart it - if it doesnt start then the battery is almost certainly completely flat or else it's stuffed - take it to the bike shop and ask if they can test it for you. If you or a mate has a little battery charger then charge it fully overnight and then see if it will start the bike - if not, then new battery time. Cheapest will be repco or supercheap.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."

Bike
    None
    When I tried this morning, the brake lights were going and so were the main lights. However the battery failed to start the engine.
    I talked to my father just before but he's not 100% sure if its the battery, thats the problem. Any other idea's on what It could be?

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by davebullet View Post
    Is is firing (you'll hear it crank quicker as the motor is trying to start), or just turning over without any ignition? (useful to determine whether a fueling or electrical problem. Of course just cranking could be fueling AND electrical problems combined - but unusal for both to fail at the same time)
    The engine is making noise when I use the electric start and throttle, but its failing to start. I'm not what sure what you would call that in motorcycle terms. But I think's its the second on the list.

When did you last start it / run it and what happened when you finished? (could be water has got into the electrics stopping it from firing)
    I drove it last week after cleaning it. The engine started up smoothly. I left the electrics and the gears to air dry for a few hours before driving back into the garage.

Have you let the tank run completely empty / out of fuel? - could be a blocked fuel filter (if there was any rust / gunge in the tank). I'm not sure how you check a carburettor bike for fuel flow.
    The tank has never been emptied since I have had it (about four months now), I have always refilled it up before it ran out of gas.

You could remove the spark plug and whilst still on the lead, ground the tip to the engine and watch for a spark? It's still safe to do that, right people?
    Like I said before, I'm not 100% sure where the spark plug is on my motorcycle or where you would generally find one on a motorcycle (yes, I am a newb)

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    Just one little thing, if you have the choke out do not use throttle as well. You will likely flood it if you do that.
    LOL!

I went out before to see If that were the problem, turns out that this was the case, thank god it wasn't the battery.

I'm leaving it to run anyway to get some more life into the battery since I haven't ridden it for a while.

The case of the Suzuki GN250E Mystery is now closed.

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotkebab View Post
    LOL!

I went out before to see If that were the problem, turns out that this was the case, thank god it wasn't the battery.

I'm leaving it to run anyway to get some more life into the battery since I haven't ridden it for a while.

The case of the Suzuki GN250E Mystery is now closed.
    HI FIVE!

Tricky things these motorbikes sometimes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    HI FIVE! Tricky things these motorbikes sometimes
    Ha! Well done! You beat the boys with your diagnosis!!

Steve

Thread Information