Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel oil engine flush?

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    This looks like a fun thread!
    It is a common question! "Should I flush my engine?"

I only flush an engine for a very good reason. Last time (a month ago) I bought a little pitbike and its' clutch was slipping reeeeel baaaaad so heres me thinking "fucked clutch". So I strip it, but noooo its' plates are in mint condition.. Waaaaait a minute, wtf is this way ultra slippery shit oil in it.... So I reassemble, drain, flush with diesel, and refill with 10W40 motorcycle engine oil and it's mint. Someone stuck car oil in it didn't that.. It was obviously a disaster..

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Il4 and Vtwin
    My HD manual recommends "Only use the specified oil, however if it is not available a quality Diesel engine oil is acceptable but must be replaced as soon as the specified oil is available.Honestly

Bike
    i've had a think about this and changed my mind. i reckon it's a really good idea to ride 30-40km with your engine full of diesel. just be certain that you are redlining in each gear before changing up to make really sure all that gunk is removed

let me know how it goes.......
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Don't argue with the pigs, man. They'll tap your phones and steal your weed and make your old lady do things she won't do for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Sexually transmitted diseases are one thing, sexually affected carnage is something else entirely. Ladies, if his cock's that small that he's prepared to put you at risk for a root, look elsewhere. Seriously.

Bike
    Thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackstig View Post
    i reckon it's a really good idea to ride 30-40km with your engine full of diesel.
    Yeah its a brilliant idea, can you you tube it to ??
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    It is a common question! "Should I flush my engine?"
    only if its a hyo, and even then you would want a pretty big crapper to handle it
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasievil View Post
    Yeah its a brilliant idea, can you you tube it to ??
    and make sure the mics turned on coz i wanna hear it
    Don't argue with the pigs, man. They'll tap your phones and steal your weed and make your old lady do things she won't do for you.
    Sexually transmitted diseases are one thing, sexually affected carnage is something else entirely. Ladies, if his cock's that small that he's prepared to put you at risk for a root, look elsewhere. Seriously.

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    Reading Badmans original post, I was assuming he was refering to using Diesel (Fuel oil)...But I now realise he was refering to Diesel Engine oil in his petrol engine (Bit slow I know)....I still maintain it is best not to do this. Diesel engine oil does contain more detergents and dispersants to prevent soot molicules from agglomerating into larger particles. (Large soot particles are abrasive and cause wear)

The problem with using a very high detergent oil is when it is used in a worn petrol engine. There are gum and other residues in the ring grooves, stem seals etc. While it sounds like a good idea on the surface, using a high detergent oil can lead to loss of oil control, (oil consumption and burning oil)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by LBD View Post
    Reading Badmans original post, I was assuming he was refering to using Diesel (Fuel oil)...But I now realise he was refering to Diesel Engine oil in his petrol engine (Bit slow I know)....I still maintain it is best not to do this. Diesel engine oil does contain more detergents and dispersants to prevent soot molicules from agglomerating into larger particles. (Large soot particles are abrasive and cause wear)

The problem with using a very high detergent oil is when it is used in a worn petrol engine. There are gum and other residues in the ring grooves, stem seals etc. While it sounds like a good idea on the surface, using a high detergent oil can lead to loss of oil control, (oil consumption and burning oil)
    refer post #5

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    I remember in the olden days when the jap import cars started coming in, a few garages were wrecking motors by putting a flush through them. Because a lot of the cars had not had many (any) oil changes and gunk had built up inside the engine, when a flush was added it was loosening all the gunk and then blocking the oil strainer. Result was a lot of run bearings.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

diesel oil IS motorbike oil.
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    When I was racing speedway, the oil of choice was castrol r40 (or Shell Super heavy) both vegetable oils that had very high lubrication properties, smelled beautiful and cost a lot. (it's also gummy dirty shit if you leave it in a motor for any length of time) .
    I wrote to Shells technical department giving the specs of the jawa 4v motor (briefly - all roller bearing crank, total loss lube system, high compression, air cooled, methanol fuel) asking their recommendations, they said, while the castor based was the first choice, a single weight diesel engine oil such as rimula x50 would be just as good. And it was, I ran the same crank for two seasons without any trouble.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    I've used diesel fuel (two or so litres poured over the area needed) to flush crap out of an engine or two (V8) after a manifold swap or similar where debris has fallen into the guts of the motor, then put on new filter and filled with new oil, never had any problems later.
    Yes but most of the V8s are a low stress old school motor. Even so would you run a modern more highly stressed vehicle with any diesel in the sump?

This will be the first time I have ever agreed with Quasievel, Don't put some dumb ass chemicals into modern motor oils. Modern oils are bloody good; they don't need the other chemicals and nobody can tell you even that the additives are compatible with the oil's chemistry.

The only time I would ever consider using a flush is in a very old say vintage motor that had had been gummed up by age and lack of oil changes.

If you have your heart set on doing a oil flush just do a hot short oil change with a relatively low cost oil.

Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    rimula x50 would be just as good. .
    Rimula R3X is Jaso and Alison C-4 rated,and most diesel oils have a petrol API rating as well.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    I've also had a diesel engine running a 50/50 mixture of 10W40 and ATF. Again, it didn't bother it in the slightest. Well, it did give me a bad fright when the ATF leak kept filling the crankcase more and more until the diesel "took off". It took a firm stomp on the brakes to calm it down, and a very quiet drive home trying to keep the revs down, lol. After I fixed the ATF leak (vacuum pump), I drained the engine oil and refilled with clean oil and boy did it run really clean after that! My guess is it gave the ring grooves a really good flush out, coz it started and idled from cold much better than it had in ages!

I'd have no hesitation in dropping half or more of the engine oil and carefully filling with diesel fuel, only to the full mark. Ride it, but only very quietly for 5 mins at a time followed by a 5 min break. Take great care not to overfill it, and don't rev it hard or labour it.

Flushing it with engine oil I think is pointless.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    I remember in the olden days when the jap import cars started coming in, a few garages were wrecking motors by putting a flush through them. Because a lot of the cars had not had many (any) oil changes and gunk had built up inside the engine, when a flush was added it was loosening all the gunk and then blocking the oil strainer. Result was a lot of run bearings.
    just doing an oil change was wreckin plenty of the early import turbos exactly the same way

Thread Information