View Poll Results: Toyota Surf or Nissan Terrano?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Surf

17 42.50%
  • Terrano

14 35.00%
  • This spot is for poll-whores who do'nt have a reliable opinion yet feel the need to vote

9 22.50%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota surf or Nissan Terrano?

Bike
    GSX-R 750 Y
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    Yeah that'd be right. We drove one and we thought there was something wrong with it. There wasn't.

The biggest problem with the 3L turbo surf is stopping it wheelspinning in the wet.

Steve
    I had a 1994 3L Diesel Surf. Was absolutely mint. One of those cars where you look at it and it just has a cool look to it, as soon as I saw it I wanted it. Good wrap around bars, good graphics, low genuine kms, good new tyres, serviced, polished regularly, good stereo, no elec or mechanical issues at all. Sold it because I "needed" to get a Kingswood. lol......never stopped regretting selling it. Unfortunately, all the local tidy ones are so expensive compared to other vehicles unless i'm prepared to take it at 300kms or prepared to spend a lot of money on getting it up to spec it's hard to justify spending the money when I can get an equally good alternative in tidier condition, with more "trimmings."
    Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jamside down.
    A cat glued to some jam toast will hover in quantum indecision

Curiosity was framed; ignorance killed the cat

Fix a computer and it'll break tomorrow.
    Teach its owner to fix it and it'll break in some way you've never seen before.

Bike
    the 2.4 diesel is the only toyota engine i would NOT own. they are renowned for fuel pump issues and blowing head gaskets.

only buy the surf if you have a very good friend who is a diseasel mechanic

the terranos have a pretty good rep for reliability....or find a 2.8 or 3.0 surf
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Don't argue with the pigs, man. They'll tap your phones and steal your weed and make your old lady do things she won't do for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Sexually transmitted diseases are one thing, sexually affected carnage is something else entirely. Ladies, if his cock's that small that he's prepared to put you at risk for a root, look elsewhere. Seriously.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by spajohn View Post
    Def the Surf, the engine is pretty bullet proof, can't go wrong.
    see above, the 2.4 is the worst engine toyota have ever made
    Don't argue with the pigs, man. They'll tap your phones and steal your weed and make your old lady do things she won't do for you.
    Sexually transmitted diseases are one thing, sexually affected carnage is something else entirely. Ladies, if his cock's that small that he's prepared to put you at risk for a root, look elsewhere. Seriously.

Bike
    GSX-R400, DL650, Hondazuki TF 100
    I'd put in a good word for the 3L Turbo surf, my girl has one and it's been pretty good for a good four or five years or so. She's blown one clutch in that time (horse floats plus the old lead foot 'o' death), and I think that was about it.

Having said that, the difference between that and the new model D4D Hilux is night and day.

Bike
    raptor 1000
    my D4D would suck in a 3l surf and spit it out the back, i used to have a 02 hilux and a 99 prado with the intercooled 3l, the prado would own the hilux no worries, the D4d would leave the prado in the dust as well, from memory the 2.8 makes 68 kilowats the 3l 95ish kw the D4D 126kw

Bike
    BMW K1200R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    as long as its not a turbo
    A lot of competition guys use the Turbo 3.0 for the reason that it is bullet proof and plenty of grunt. I've had no problem with mine, though I've only done about 30 thou kms on it.
    "And if I claim to be a wise man, It surely means that I don't know"

Bike
    BMW K1200R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackstig View Post
    the 2.4 diesel is the only toyota engine i would NOT own. they are renowned for fuel pump issues and blowing head gaskets.

only buy the surf if you have a very good friend who is a diseasel mechanic

the terranos have a pretty good rep for reliability....or find a 2.8 or 3.0 surf
    I stand corrected...I'm a 3.0 litre owner.
    "And if I claim to be a wise man, It surely means that I don't know"

Bike
    I stand corrected...I'm a 3.0 litre owner.
    love the 3.0's....bombproof and tonnes of go if its the intercooled trubo

3.0 diesel? Are you talking about the 3L (2.8) 5L (3.0) or 1KZ (3.0)? ALL crack heads,although the 3L non turbo is pretty damn good,with rumoured crank problems.

Bike
    haven't come across a 3 litre with head issues (yet) plenty of 2.4's but

Bike
    VTR1000F
    I had a non turbo 2.4 hilux doublecab. No problems over the years and 80 000 kms I put on it, used it for everything, and regretted selling it. I treded it for a 94 3l Turbo . Good truck on the road, I found it fragile off road. I went through 2 front diffs and 1 front. The 3l drank heaps more as well, but I reckoned it was worth it for the power.
    I wouldn't have another Surf, I'd buy a ute instead. Much more practicle, albeit with a harsher ride.
    Capital Cruise and TT2000 2012. Looking forward to my two big rides!

Bike
    raptor 1000
    A lot of competition guys use the Turbo 3.0 for the reason that it is bullet proof and plenty of grunt. I've had no problem with mine, though I've only done about 30 thou kms on it.
    i ment the 2.4

Bike
    Ducati Mostro
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    The 2.4L turbo diesel Hilux engines are known for cracking heads and blowing starter motors. They are also gutless as fuck.
    So true.... stay away from the Toyota 2.4 gutless shits.... and yes crack heads bad. I had 1991 2.4 turbo... a complete waste of truck with that motor, had it for 3 years and about 60000ks... one cranked head and one cracked turbo housing and still couldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding!

Nissans 2.7 a pretty hard working no fuss motor... never heard of anything bad from them, had Nissans G60's 2.7d and 2.7petrol Patrols and MQ's 3.3td never had a problom with motors or drivetrian...

My opinion and experience
    DUCATI ------- A real bike in a sea of shit!

Bike
    None
    Get a Pink panther!

-Indy
    Hey, kids! Captain Hero here with Getting Laid Tip 213 - The Backrub Buddy!

Find a chick who’s just been dumped and comfort her by massaging her shoulders, and soon, she’ll be massaging your prostate.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    doe'st have a turbo timer, Oh, and it has a sunroof!
    dont need a timer, over rated, by the time you drive up ya drive un do the seat belt, cool enough oil has reached the turbo.
    sunroofs are a pain in the arse, unless it has a cover.

The two are a 1994 2.7 Diesel Terrano, and a 1992 2.4 Diesel Toyota Hilux Surf.
    Both Turbo's I hope or Id say neither.

I already know Toyota surfs are better off-road.
    doubt it, Toyota has no LSD (2wd max) the nissin does (3wd max) the nissin also has beter suspension.

and Turbo timer the surf still needs
    as above, pointless.

feels a little gruntier even with a smaller engine......although they are probably about the same
    The 2.7 should piss all over the 2.4, mainely down low which lets face it is were ya most need it, top end is proberly the same altho the 2.4 will rev harder.

Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post
    Mate of mine has a Terrano - and its been nothing but a pile of trouble - go the Smurf
    sounds like my Navara

Def the Surf, the engine is pretty bullet proof, can't go wrong.
    not compeared to a Nissin, run rings round a toyota, they are basicly a glorified petrol the nissin are the only small diesel thats a proper diesel with push rods not belts.

Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    Terrano manual gearboxes last about 150k before they do the bearings if you tow with them, auto's usually last as long as the engine.
    hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa... had mine for 77,000km's and done TWO gear boxs.
    yes Nissin have shit house manuals, haviing said that when the last one blew I got from Danieverk to chch by using 4th gear only, and I was loaded with two race bikes and all the gears.

Ok.. cant be fucked reading any further (still on 1st page) heres what I can tell ya.
    Had a early 2.4TD surf... bloody great wee truck as long as ya look after it eg: upgraded air filter, biger bore exhaust, regular oil changes with a quality turbo proven oil.
    Had a 2.8 hilux D/C... slow gutless but never failed me (have heard of several braking cranks)
    Have a 2.7TD Navara... pice a shit replaced everything but the engine, however I think I was riped as it has done far greater km's than it said when I brought it (76k fuck you Rick Armstrong it was a rebuilt wreck, didnt tell me that did ya)

Ok so would I have a Nissin or a Toyota again... well every one has a over priced Toyota very relible very bland and shapless... the Nissin is trouble but Ill have another. (current one has tweked turb, uni filter and 2.5in exhaust with non restricted muffler, not loud tho) Haules 2 bikes on the deck and up to 3 on the trailer + gear + pasangers and gears over the alps with no issues or slowing down.. a Toyota 2.4 will run out a puff.
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Thread Information