Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What oil to use for gsxr1000k7?

Bike
    CB750
    I've used motul oil and really wasnt impressed,but lots of people do, everyone has a fav oil. A shop close to home sells mobil motorcycle oil, and another brand that costs more, so its mobil for all my bikes.I havnt had any problems with premature wear, I change it about 3500kms- thats a bit of touring and thrashing.I have a mate who changes his every 1000kms. but hes happy to do it, so who cares, each to himself .

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bsasuper View Post
    I have a mate who changes his every 1000kms. but hes happy to do it, so who cares, each to himself .
    Now that's just overkill! He should drain it back into a pack and sell it on here half price! He could claim the oil is already run-in so you can get on and thrash it immediately!

I've found different bikes respond differently to different oils. After much time reading the net etc and everyone having a favourite oil and one they won't use again (guilty) I've come to the conclusion that if you try a oil and find something like gear shifting degrades, dump it out and pop in another.

Might call Quassi for some of that fancy Mobil motorcycle oil next change.

You want to pop onto an American oil thread - those guys use pratically anything in their bikes!

Bike
    CB750
    Yes totally overkill, but like I said, hes happy to do it so thats fine.He cringes at me doing mine at 3500kms (and I dont really like doing it, rather be rideing!)

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Now that's just overkill!
    Probably, but km don't always tell the full story.

I use to have to replace my car oil and filter every 6 months/1500km, otherwise it would sound like I had a machine gun under the bonnet. Embarrassing enough driving a 626 Mazda, without it sounding like a war zone. Constant cold running commute to work isn't good for oil.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Probably, but km don't always tell the full story.

True....
    When you actually add up the total k's the race bikes do between oil changes.... Well 1000 is a LOT! Closer to 200k.

Bike
    00 Gixxer 750 and ZX10 tricycle
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    I guess they do'nt push it that hard in the MotoGP.
    Have you ever ridden around Coromandel??....
    Built for speed, not for comfort

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    Oil is like tyres. You keep changing brands and models until you find one you like.

I've only changed the oil twice in my bike so far. Both times the Castrol stuff in the yellow / gold pack. The bike sounds real smooth for about the first 1,000kms - then I get all sorts of rattles and noises. I know the SV motors aren't renowned for their quietness (noisy cam chains) - and yes the tappet clearances have been adjusted (by a proper motorcycle mechanic - not by me - lol).

I'll try me some Motul next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Thread Information