Thread: A Great Day Out - Hamilton Ulysses Poker Run 2 May 2010

Bike
    2008 Honda ST 1300
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up A Great Day Out - Hamilton Ulysses Poker Run 2 May 2010

The third Hamilton Ulysses Poker Run was held on Sunday, 2 May 2010.

Ulysses nationally asks all clubs to run an ‘ambulance ride’ in support of St John‘s either on ANZAC Day or close thereto. For this ride, a hand cost $10.00 and ambulance badges were available for a further $10.00. All proceeds were to go to St John’s ambulance.

The ride started at 9.30am at the Waikato Commerce Club. The first card of of the hand was picked up at Sanitarium Hill otherwise known as Maungakawa Scenic Reserve.

From there it was back down the hill then across French Pass to Whitehall and then over Taotaoroa Road to SH 29. It was then up the Kaimai hill to the lookout point just before you cross the brow for the second card.

It was then back down the Kaimais and a left onto SH 28 towards Putaruru then across the Arapuni dam. Unfortunately, I missed the turn off onto Rongata Road and had to come down a side road onto to Rongata Road. It was there we found a rider on a Beamer stopped by the side of the road with a flat front tyre as a result of having hit a rock. His bike was able to be stashed in a farmer’s shed and he then pillioned for the rest of the poker run. From there, it was up to Wharepapa South to the Climber’s Café for a lunch stop.

The next portion was the most difficult to navigate. Through a maze of little back roads – Hingata Road and Wharepuhunga Road, Mangatautu Road, Maihihi Road, Tauraroa Valley Road then Otewa Road. Having been through that route before, I had an idea of where to go. Fortunately, a map was supplied along with general directions.

From Otewa Road, it was a left turn and up the hill on Barber Road. Unfortunately, the road was covered in little stones left over from re-sealing. A very un-nerving feeling under the back wheel. I then collected my third card, another rubbishy low card from a different suit to all the others.

We were then on our way back down the hill towards Otorohanga and then onto the Kawhia Road. It was out at Otorohanga that a rider who shall remain completely nameless overtook me pulling a wheelie and ignoring the yellow line. I had a word with him at the Kawhia checkpoint to say “Not on a Ulysses ride, thank you.”

From the lookout on the Kawhia road, it was back down the hill, left out to Pirongia and then back to Hamilton.

To my surprise, Dave Coy from Hamilton Ulysses, whom I had ridden most of the ride with, and I were first back in.

4 Wheels move the body. 2 Wheels move the soul

Bike
    Superduke 990
    Awesome ride report. So... what was your final hand then?

WELLINGTON: Tag-o-rama

Bike
    Sonic the Second (II)
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyrobot View Post
    And I hope it wasn't strip poker!

Bike
    2008 Honda ST 1300
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyrobot View Post
    Absolute rubbish ,a 7,an 8 , a 9 an Ace and something esle forgetable. Worth nothing.

Bike
    2008 Honda ST 1300
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckai View Post
    And I hope it wasn't strip poker!
    That wouldn't have been pretty

Bike
    one that goes
    Quote Originally Posted by STJim View Post
    Absolute rubbish ,a 7,an 8 , a 9 an Ace and something esle forgetable. Worth nothing.
    But the ride was worth the effort to get the rubbish though Jim, it is all about the ride..cheers

Bike
    2008 Honda ST 1300
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by duckonin View Post
    But the ride was worth the effort to get the rubbish though Jim, it is all about the ride..cheers
    True It was all about the ride

Bike
    GL1800
    Thanks for sharing Jim
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Thread Information